5* S Tyreke Johnson in portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah tell me about when Miami was great and stacking talent? Or how it affects Alabama? Bama has more 5 stars on its team right now than the entire ACC. Being like Alabama is a problem I expect from Miami.

Dude every player we sign from the portal is one less we can sign next year. Calm down with your rhetoric.

Advertisement
We haven't done that in nearly 20 years.
We haven't even been able to stack for depth, much less talent.
Oh for the old days of the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.... THAT is stacking talent.....

As long as we’re stuck signing 25 max we’re mortgaging our future if we take flyers on kids like this one who’s done nothing.

Why 5 stars flood these teams when they’re already loaded is a mystery then they pine and and fade away when they can play elsewhere?

Didn’t we use to stack 5 stars in our winning days?

Like I don’t get when ppl ask this perfunctory ?, and this is a sad reality of where we r; U’re wondering why top flight players r going to top flight schools. It’s called b/c they want the best chance and opportunity to get to the NFL. It’s called b/c they are used to competing & winning championships, therefore they want to continue to compete & win championships.

That’s like asking why do all the rich guys get pretty girls. Smh. I promise u Clemson aint ask this question; they may ask “how in the Fck did that blue chip go to (insert school) & not choose us?)

****, truth be told; if the portal existed during our run, we might have seen several high profile players hit the portal due to not making the cut to beat out others. At the end of the day, OSU, Bama, OU etc. losing a 5 star to the portal is equivalent to a billionaire dropping a $100 bill out their pocket; sure they may care b/c money is money, but they got plenty of $100’s not to feel the effects.

Last edited:

Like I don’t get when ppl ask this perfunctory? And this is a sad reality of where we r; U’re wondering why top flight players r going to top flight schools. It’s called b/c they want the best chance and opportunity to get to the NFL. It’s called b/c they are used to competing & winning championships, therefore they want to continue to compete & win championships.

That’s like asking why do all the rich guys get pretty girls. Smh. I promise u Clemson aint ask this question; they may ask “how in the Fck did that blue chip go to (insert school) & not choose us?)

****, truth be told; if the portal existed during our run, we might have seen several high profile players hit the portal due to not making the cut to beat out others. At the end of the day, OSU, Bama, OU etc. losing a 5 star to the portal is equivalent to a billionaire dropping a $100 bill out their pocket; sure they may care b/c money is money, but they got plenty of $100’s not to feel the effects.
Solid 🙌

Advertisement

Like I don’t get when ppl ask this perfunctory? And this is a sad reality of where we r; U’re wondering why top flight players r going to top flight schools. It’s called b/c they want the best chance and opportunity to get to the NFL. It’s called b/c they are used to competing & winning championships, therefore they want to continue to compete & win championships.

The scholarship distribution wasn’t the same back then.

Like I don’t get when ppl ask this perfunctory ?, and this is a sad reality of where we r; U’re wondering why top flight players r going to top flight schools. It’s called b/c they want the best chance and opportunity to get to the NFL. It’s called b/c they are used to competing & winning championships, therefore they want to continue to compete & win championships.

I AGREE

Using your same example on how STUPID IT IS for us to refuse to go after a 5 star that we previously lost out on......

Is like losing a $100 bill....then refusing to pick it up later because we previously lost that $100 bill!!

WTF!!!??? How idiotic is that???

So it's....Yeah $100 ....YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE TO BE IN MY WALLET 😡 so I'm going to pass on picking you up.

😳 WTF!!!??

Using your same analogy on how STUPID IT IS for us refusing to go after a 5 star that we previously lost out on......

Is like losing a $100 bill....then refusing to pick it up later because we previously lost that $100 bill!!

So it's....Yeah $100 ....YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE TO BE IN MY WALLET 😡 so I'm going to pass on picking you up.

😳 WTF!!!??

We lose another scholarship this year. Why would you do that for a kid who’s done nothing so far, at one of the few positions we have two young 5 star players at already?

Advertisement
We lose another scholarship this year. Why would you do that for a kid who’s done nothing so far, at one of the few positions we have two young 5 star players at already?

Doing "little" at a school universally known for being STACKED in it's secondary is not the mark of death.

Plus injuries happen all the time in the (our) secondary. It's a position where losses really impact the overall performance of the defense. Ideally you want to be two deep with very little drop off

I AGREE

Using your same example on how STUPID IT IS for us to refuse to go after a 5 star that we previously lost out on......

😳 WTF!!!??
That’s a pretty poor analogy. It works if the $100 was alive and was choosing to be in your wallet and someone else’s. The $100 decided to be in another person’s wallet. He then gets kicked out of the other person’s wallet and is now contacting you to pick him up. But now he may not be worth $100 anymore. And if you pick him up that means you forfeit the right to go after other $100 bills who still got their full value.

I see your point and I see his. I’m all for not taking the initial loss of a recruit personal and would accept him but it depends on the recruit, his recruitment, and need (see Stevenson).

But there’s something to be said about the respect you want to have as a coach and a program. This is why it baffles me that the adults allow these kids to be so disrespectful in spurning schools on signing day. There is no upside in disrespecting the school and the coaches and burning those bridges. You never know what the future holds. I wonder if you see less of that because of open transfer rules.

Josh Jobe is an example. Don’t give a **** if he was an all American. The way he disrespected the coaches and the fanbase I would never take him as a transfer if I was Manny but I may be in the minority on this.

I'm saying I don't agree with "do whatever it takes to stack talent." I really don't think being a simp in the football world is a good look. Just because dude was a 5* a few years ago doesn't mean we need him now or the optics of allowing just anybody to spurn us but come back later when it doesn't work out for them. More of a general statement than something very specific to this guy.
I realize your statement was a general one. Here’s some facts, warren sapp wanted to play at FSU. Clinton Portis would’ve chose Florida. My is, to expect these prospects to have some blind loyalty for the U like we do is fans is juvenile thinking. It’s a business and a life decision for these kids. The guys who leave sofla to go to Bama, OSU or uga etc werent die hard fans for those clubs. It’s the best choice they need to make for their development. We have to give these kids a reason not to leave. Some still will to escape the environment. But we need to show we can develop at a consistent rate and win at a high enough level to give the prospects a reason to stay home.

no program serious about doing those things turn down needed talent because “he spurned us”. If a kid hits the portal and is a fit and need with talent u take him. It’s a business

Advertisement
Do we really want the reputation of being the fall back for kids who take bags but can't hack it with another team. "If I can't find playing time at *** school, Miami will always take me out of the portal!" I get we want to stack talent but taking kids who can't start at other places doesn't seem like a recipe for championships. Having to do whatever it takes to get talent is a bad look imo. We should be extremely selective with kids trying to come back to Miami.

Do we really want to be the team that gets 60 burgers dropped on us by basketball schools? THAT is the reputation you don’t want.

Miami ****ed up and fell off. Just like any other person or entity that must rebuild itself, you have to swallow your pride and do some things that someone off your pedigree USED TO NOT HAVE TO DO.

Coming up after a downfall doesn’t allow you to behave the way you used to or like your successful competitors.

I don’t get this line of thinking. We aren’t missing on prospects because kids think they can come back later. These kids don’t think like that. They all think they will be superstars where they sign.

You can’t get caught up in fear of perception. Especially when there are so many negative perceptions of us for things we actually do. Getting wrapped up in what “could” happen just weakens our position.

Stack talent first. Deploy the talent properly. Win games. Everything else takes care of itself.

Buying groceries hungry is not a good idea.....
My Man GIF by memecandy

No way I take a spot from a 22 kid at safety for a one year rental at a position we’re deep at.
Some are confusing stacking chips without the math that comes with the IC rule. Taking this dude is the equivalent of taking a freshman 5 star that gets kicked out or has a career ending injury. It leaves you with nothing else to replace him with except a 23 kid. You can’t build off of perpetual one year transfers unless it’s a position of real need with a player that is exceptional (ie Stevenson) or a player with multiple years left like Brown.
No one in here was objecting to Toto at linebacker for one year. But to take a spot at safety of all positions is just crazy and not the definition of “stacking chip” imo.
Stacking chips is getting Kanauri and Allan each with 4 years of eligibility to come and compete with jw, kinchens, and Avantae.
I don’t think anyone has an objection to stacking chips with a transfer if the situation and need outweighs the loss of an IC for a potential player that can give you at least 2-3 years of playing time

Last edited:
Advertisement

lol thanks bro....yeah exactly it's a reason why bama signed 4 highly rated wrs in last class .... saban just had 3 kids who practiced together got top 12 not many schools can say something off the wall like that.

lol thanks bro....yeah exactly it's a reason why bama signed 4 highly rated wrs in last class .... saban just had 3 kids who practiced together got top 12 not many schools can say something off the wall like that.
And each of those guys isn’t counting against the future class and they all have 4 years of eligibility.
I doubt Saban will take 4 receivers next year. He does this all the time when he knows he needs bodies at a position. Dudes were just talking about Jaycee Horn and Bama in another thread and Saban took 5 db’s in 2018. One of them being Jobe.
He also took 4 receivers when he got Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs, and Shavers. The year before he only took one receiver in TJ Simmons. He wanted 2 but we got Ahmon. The next year he only took waddle and x Williams.

No way I take a spot from a 22 kid at safety for a one year rental at a position we’re deep at.
Some are confusing stacking chips without the math that comes with the IC rule. Taking this dude is the equivalent of taking a freshman 5 star that gets kicked out or has a career ending injury. It leaves you with nothing else to replace him with except a 23 kid. You can’t build off of perpetual one year transfers unless it’s a position of real need with a player that is exceptional (ie Stevenson) or a player with multiple years left like Brown.
No one in here was objecting to Toto at linebacker for one year. But to take a spot at safety of all positions is just crazy and not the definition of “stacking chip” imo.
Stacking chips is getting Kanauri and Allan each with 4 years of eligibility to come and compete with jw, kinchens, and Avantae.
I don’t think anyone has an objection to stacking chips with a transfer if the situation and need outweighs the loss of an IC for a potential player that can give you at least 2-3 years of playing time

The people that are saying stack chips in this thread must be suffering from severe brain damage.

They are literally advocating a one year rental at a position in which we are overflowing with numbers and good talent, then add to that the fact that it removes signing amother four-year or three-year prospect in the upcoming signing class.

All for a guy who has never seen the field in college, and may never see it. Because at one time way back he was a four-star or five star. Who cares what he was. What is he now?

A serious serious lack of critical thinking and planning skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back