5* S Tyreke Johnson in portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember this kid. Creeping on Twitter & he still has this pinned from 2017. Imagine thinking this is flexing 🤦🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
People are saying take this guy without even knowing if he can actually play in college or not. Take him, without ever having seen actually him actually compete in college. He certainly hasn’t proven he can play at Ohio State.

So take an unknown quantity, Who might actually not be a very good football player, just because he was (emphasis on was) a 4/5 star, and at a position that we are already stacked in.

Some of you people make no sense.

Stack chips that you will never use? Ever? A glut of players at the same position? What’s the point of that?

What's Tee gotta say about this? He's really the only person I wanted to read in this thread.

You don't take him at safety IMO. We've enough talent there to find two starters. I don't know what happened at OSU, but that place is a factory and you've gotta wait your turn.

Can he play corner? I'm not sold on anyone yet. Nope, not even TS. If he can play here, let's go.

Advertisement
What's Tee gotta say about this? He's really the only person I wanted to read in this thread.

You don't take him at safety IMO. We've enough talent there to find two starters. I don't know what happened at OSU, but that place is a factory and you've gotta wait your turn.

Can he play corner? I'm not sold on anyone yet. Nope, not even TS. If he can play here, let's go.

Yes but that’s just it. We have no idea if he can play corner. Does anybody? Who would know?

Yes but that’s just it. We have no idea if he can play corner. Does anybody? Who would know?

Tee's from the Tampa area, coaches the position, and had fam on the team here, a Cane we all know at the position. I seem to remember him talking this kid up back then, but I don't recall what he said.

Hope he makes an appearance.

Tee's from the Tampa area, coaches the position, and had fam on the team here, a Cane we all know at the position. I seem to remember him talking this kid up back then, but I don't recall what he said.

I know all about Tee, I was just responding more to the second part of your message.

I just don’t remember what his relationship is with this kid. But yes, it would be good to hear from him. But other than him, we really have no idea if this guy can make that flip to corner or not. Apparently he’s not good enough to crack the starting safety lineup at OSU, and I’m not trying to **** on him, I just don’t know that much about him, so I’m assuming it was his skill set that didn’t get him playing time.

Could be skill, attitude, maybe injured and passed up, grades at some point, or who knows.

One thing I know about kids these days is they don't wait for playing time. They all want to start right away and rather than working for that playing time, they bounce.

The Portal and a lot of kids getting cleared to play right away rather than sitting a year has really sped the transfer process up. I'm skeptical of anyone who bounces early.

Advertisement
My only recollection of Tyreke Johnson is Will Mallory making him look like a child when they played. If he's a safety, pass. If he can actually play CB, probably worth a look.

Kid is from Jacksonville not Tampa.

Advertisement
Yeah, iirc he was thought to be over-rated during that cycle by several posters in the know. I'm definitely passing on this one. I'm thinking UCF type transfer here.
Yea, most people were shocked OSU took him. He started off pretty highly ranked and seemingly got exposed and was dropping in the rankings.

Can he switch to linebacker?

Could he allow one of the other safeties/strikers to make a permanent switch to linebacker?

You wanna trot out a 191 lb linebacker? Hate to break it to ya but it's pretty tricky to put on 20 lbs of muscle in four months.

Advertisement
You do whatever it takes to stack talent. Most jobs are not as easy to measure candidates objectively. In the ones that are, they do what it takes to get the talented.

You want to talk about borderline retarded?A school trying to live off its storied past that hires bum coaches like it’s going out of style, while competing against schools that pay much better and care about football much more, telling talented recruits they will only get one chance to sign and puffing their chest out as if they have any leverage.

This silly *** **** is why we get drug on the recruiting trail. Manny is learning though. After crapping out on his own position group, he seems to have figured out that hubris and posturing doesn’t sign blue chip recruits. Having strong recruiters that establish bonds and sell the program does.

Cool genius. Let's just put a bunch of CB's and WR's on the OL and TE's at QB. But then again, you're the one who thinks putting a dude under 200 pounds at LB is a smart idea, like this is f@#cking high school.

You know what's ACTUALLY retarded? Fans like you who have never done anything for the University thinking your opinion on how it operates is worth anything at all. How much have you donated to contribute to the coaches salary, while talking about how little the University cares?

Every single one of your comments on this thread has been abjectly moronic and bereft of any semblance of logical thought.

Marilyn Monroe Dipshit GIF

People are saying take this guy without even knowing if he can actually play in college or not. Take him, without ever having seen actually him actually compete in college. He certainly hasn’t proven he can play at Ohio State.

So take an unknown quantity, Who might actually not be a very good football player, just because he was (emphasis on was) a 4/5 star, and at a position that we are already stacked in.

Some of you people make no sense.

Stack chips that you will never use? Ever? A glut of players at the same position? What’s the point of that?

Well, I mean dude.... Garcia should totally start over King though...

Not my point. My point is that the second someone enters the portal half of CIS is screaming how bad we need to get them regardless of what the depth/talent on the roster looks like.

But yes, I did think we need athletic dudes like that in the LB corps. However, if 191 lbs is right, it's not him.
I remember him from the 2018 cycle. I believe he was rated the No 1 safety in the nation. If I remember correctly, people were saying that Johnson was a very fluid athlete with CB skills but I'm not sure if that is accurate. I believe that he redshirted his first year in 2018 which would have made him a redshirt sophomore last year. Since last year didn't count towards using eligibility, he should be a redshirt sophomore again in 2021 and would give him 3 years of eligibility remaining. May be worth kicking the tires if he has the ability to play CB seeing we are likely to lose 3 CBs after 2021.

Cool genius. Let's just put a bunch of CB's and WR's on the OL and TE's at QB. But then again, you're the one who thinks putting a dude under 200 pounds at LB is a smart idea, like this is f@#cking high school.

You know what's ACTUALLY retarded? Fans like you who have never done anything for the University thinking your opinion on how it operates is worth anything at all. How much have you donated to contribute to the coaches salary, while talking about how little the University cares?

Every single one of your comments on this thread has been abjectly moronic and bereft of any semblance of logical thought.

Marilyn Monroe Dipshit GIF

Calm down and stop being so emotional. It’s killing your reading comprehension. I have not advocated for signing this dude, let alone Playing a sub 200 lb.

Our linebacker recruiting has been trash, thus we have converted one safety/striker to the position. When you recruit poorly and leave a position in as bad a shape as our linebacker room is, you have to think outside the box for solutions.

I prefer we sign quality linebackers with good athleticism and proven positional skills. If we have to convert someone as a stop gap, I prefer safeties over ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back