4th Quarter Performers of the Week ... thoughts?

I seriously doubt there is a defensive scheme in the history of football where Ivey is a solid CB.
Would love for him to prove me wrong.
But would happily settle for him just being replaced on the field.

The coaches actually called the fake punt defense. Ivey just missed his assignment, stopped running, and the dude ran past him for a TD catch. Clear as day his fault. Watch the play... there isn't even another potential receiver on that side of the field. And as strong as Ivey looks, pay attention to his half-hearted shove of the receiver.

That's a tough watch. I find it hard to believe he knew the fake was in play based on that footage. It was as if he had no idea of what was going on. Look, I'm no DJ Ivey apologist by any stretch. I just think the dude has the talent and a new lease on his future playing football with a real coaching staff in place. I'm hoping for the best. I just hope he's able to contribute and not have a negative impact on the team like he has been.

Advertisement
I think it means a lot to the young men to show the new coaching staff what they bring to the table. They are all being evaluated right now.

Also, I think we’ve seen what Tyler Van Dimes got with his pads on. It’s nice to see QB1 put in work. True leader.
Ok. I get from the tone of your response that you think we disagree, but I’m not sure where. Parsing workout reports pre-spring for hints at who is going to start or have a good season is a fool’s errand. As I said, good for them, but it’s meaningless in the grand scheme.

Not to keep this going, but in all these years, I had no idea Strong was that short. LOL. Man he hid it pretty well! I thought buddy was like 5'11!

That said, happy this staff quietly is getting to work and not needing a marching band like introduction upon their arrival. Just get to work and use the Spring time wisely. Im sure Mario told the staff on D they have ALOT of work to do with this bunch. No days off.

Advertisement
Yet another staff falling in love with DJ Ivey. I've seen this nightmare before.

Family Guy Reaction GIF
Falling in love or giving credit in the workouts where it's due? 😒 🤔

Advertisement
I hear you, but watching dudes run by you while you just stand there isn't a defense/scheme thing. Until he shows something different on the field, he's barely even a jag to me.. he's a liability.
Literally every DB on the team did that so it was clearly a coached thing. Did you not see the FSU 4th and 14? Whole Defensive back field just standing In the mud.

I know it’s convenient to just blame the coaches and the scheme for every player’s shortcoming but there have been plenty of guys who had success in the same scheme with the same coaches. I remember Rumph was the scapegoat for why Ivey couldn’t play until we got TRob and Ivey still couldn’t play. This is the same scheme that led the nation in pass defense in 2018. Eventually, you just have to admit that certain players don’t have it.
Yes, some players don't have it.. agreed on that.

Trob is a press man coach. That's his shtick... Manny is a zone DC that's his shtick. Trob was never able to implement his style if DB coaching within Manny scheme and it showed.

BTW, the pas defense being ranked high was solely a product of the pressure the Dline created and not the overall talent of the DB room.

It's easy to look like an all American when the Dline got the QB throwing up prayers and ducks.

I have a hard time believing that Ivey can't be developed into a decent press Corner.
He's long and has great size.

I was blessed to have an outstanding DB coach working with me at Deerfield.
I watched him turn a mediocre WR into one of the top CB's in South Florida in one year. Kid went from completely unknown, to locking up everybody in the Dade/Broward All Star game, to earning a D1 offer. (mainly off of reputation)

He didn't run that well, but the kid was long (6'1") and had a dog mentality. The rest was developed by his DB coach.
That length, along with the techniques taught by his DB coach, allowed him disrupt much faster WR's before they even got into their route. (i.e. Nathaniel Joseph - rendered him useless and a non factor on the outside)

But this goes back to KNOWING WHAT PERSONNEL YOU HAVE and ADJUSTING YOUR SCHEME ACCORDINGLY.
I played press and press-bail like 80% of the season because I knew I had big physical CB's that were hard to get around.
WR's want to run routes unimpeded, they don't like being disrupted. It's extremely hard to stem your route when the CB guarding you is 6'1"-6'2" with long a$$ arms and decent feet. The WR has to go AROUND HIM before he can get his route going. This disrupts WR/route spacing and can also throw off the timing of the play.

If you got big a$$ Corners like Blades, Stevenson, Ivey, etc...then IMO your coverage scheme should be based on disruption on the outside.
You can play a "match" version of Cover-3 (my preference) or you can play Press-Quarters.

Steele brings SEC experience so I'm hoping that he's the type of implement some of these concepts.

The key is THE COACHING AND TECHNIQUE at Corner though.
If the CB's are whiffing and letting WR's run by them and get into their route, then it defeats the purpose of playing press. The idea is to bully the WR within the first 5 yards. That takes good eyes, good feet/lateral movement and good technique.

Advertisement
Trob is a press man coach. That's his shtick... Manny is a zone DC that's his shtick. Trob was never able to implement his style if DB coaching within Manny scheme and it showed.
This is a misconception. Manny played a TON of man. It’s the reason UNC’s quarterback was able to rush for so many yards last year. Also, I’d have to believe a highly regarded DB coach who could pretty much pick his job would have had discussions with the head coach/DC about what style defense he would be coaching before taking the position. It would be like an air raid coach taking a job at a triple option school. You discuss these things before signing a contract.

This is a misconception. Manny played a TON of man. It’s the reason UNC’s quarterback was able to rush for so many yards last year. Also, I’d have to believe a highly regarded DB coach who could pretty much pick his job would have had discussions with the head coach/DC about what style defense he would be coaching before taking the position. It would be like an air raid coach taking a job at a triple option school. You discuss these things before signing a contract.

Someone already posted the numbers. Manny played a little more man under Richt but under Baker and Manny is far more zone.

There is a difference between playing shadow/off-man coverage than there is playing press-bump man.

Manny runs a lot of fire zone blitzes and HE NEVER had DBs rerouting and jamming at the LOS. Something all Trobs corners have excelled at.

Let's be real here my guy. Just like people lie at interviews and say what they're capable of to get the job, employers also lie and say how great and open a job is to get you in there when they need you.

Literally NOTHING changed in all of our DBS technique wise.

Look at film of TRob DBs while coaching with Muschamp then look at Manny and Trob then tell me again that Manny allowed him to have total autonomy.

Maybe I just have PTSD from Manny's defense but I don't recall a lot of press or bump and run coverages. Man yes, but usually it was off man or they would line up tight then bail before the snap.

Advertisement
I dont really care if Ivey starts or not. Regardless of scheme he just plays timid and nervous to me.

Isn't a 100 mph kind of guy when the lights are on

Someone already posted the numbers. Manny played a little more man under Richt but under Baker and Manny is far more zone.

There is a difference between playing shadow/off-man coverage than there is playing press-bump man.

Manny runs a lot of fire zone blitzes and HE NEVER had DBs rerouting and jamming at the LOS. Something all Trobs corners have excelled at.

Let's be real here my guy. Just like people lie at interviews and say what they're capable of to get the job, employers also lie and say how great and open a job is to get you in there when they need you.

Look at film of TRob DBs while coaching with Muschamp then look at Manny and Trob then tell me again that Manny allowed him to have total autonomy.
Yea T-Rob failed miserably as the CB coach last year.

Exactly. It drove me crazy every time to see us line up in press coverage, then just give the wr a free release. Wtf is point lining up in man if you're never going to attempt to jam the wr. Glad that Mickey Mouse tihs is outta here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back