4-star RB McIntosh wins 7-on-7 title at the Opening Finals, talks UM

So did ST, he was a record setting RB, you think he "settled" for safety because of "athletic limitations"? I agree with some of your point, but not that the better "athletes" always play RB. None the less I will take Mc in any way we can get him, same as MAR. Get athletes here and then find them a place, aka : Devin Hester

Who said McIntosh is settling? He can play RB here. I love him as a prospect and pure athlete (which is more than just speed).

I just think his athleticism plays up more at LB given his body type.

Advertisement
I rather have a big but slow running back than a big but slow linebacker with how the game is played today. The running back can still bruise a defense and pick up yards although the might not break away but lacking speed at linebacker makes you a liability at covering tight ends and other backs. So I don’t get the whole “he’s not fast so put him at linebacker” narrative.

Linebackers run slower 40s on average at the combine.

4.59 for RBs
4.74 for OLBs
4.80 for ILBs

40-yard dash - Wikipedia

Advertisement
They do, but now compare their average weight and bench #s, they are built for a hit every single play, have to be bigger in most cases.

Huh?

I commented on a post suggesting he would be a slow linebacker. He would be slow for a RB but probably have about average speed for a LB.

Huh?

I commented on a post suggesting he would be a slow linebacker. He would be slow for a RB but probably be about average speed for a LB.

My point was people have said RBs are better "athletes" in here, I disagree. LBers may not be as fast but they are generally bigger/stronger. That's all. I got ya though, good info on the times.

Advertisement
Here's one way to look at it: compare McIntosh's athleticism to Shaq and Pickney. Now compare his athleticism to Homer and Dallas.
He’s not the same running back. He’s a bruiser. A bigger back. Homer is a speed back and dejay Dallas that’s to be determined because he gained a lot of wait. McIntosh is that bruising short yardage back that you always need.

Advertisement
Here's one way to look at it: compare McIntosh's athleticism to Shaq and Pickney. Now compare his athleticism to Homer and Dallas.

IMO get him to sign and let things work out naturally. If he's himself getting buried on the depth chart at RB maybe you move him. Or maybe he's a kid that loves the competition we have at RB and really shows out and takes someones carries.

Advertisement
I agree he does have the talent and size to be an elite all around MLB that’s solid in both the run and pass game.

Now that I think about it, I do prefer him at MLB bc of the potential... but I like his running style, he’s big but smooth like Marshawn Lynch. If he wants to play early MLB is his best bet, he would have to really be a star RB immediately to play early at RB.

What's hilarious about it? He's been playing varsity snaps on defense since 8th grade.

Go back and watch the HUDLs for the defenders selected in the first round. Most of them were offensive playmakers in high school.

I think McIntosh can be an excellent college RB. But the 4.88 speed puts a ceiling on him. And we are signing a very similar RB in Marcus Crowley.

When you watch the second and last plays of this video, it's easy to visualize McIntosh's upside on defense.

I for one am not putting much faith in that 4.88 time. Have no idea what happened on that run, that day, etc. He's way to explosive of an athlete for me to believe that's a legit time for him. I have to give credit though, that narrative seems to have a stuck even though there's a ton of evidence that lets people know it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I for one am not putting much faith in that 4.88 time. Have no idea what happened on that run, that day, etc. He's way to explosive of an athlete for me to believe that's a legit time for him. I have to give credit though, that narrative seems to have a stuck even though there's a ton of evidence that lets people know it should be taken with a grain of salt.

He is more explosive than fast IMO. Excellent stop-start quicks for a big guy.

He is more explosive than fast IMO. Excellent stop-start quicks for a big guy.

Yes, he is more explosive than fast. I'm not saying he should be running a 4.4, but his explosive traits should tell you to think critically about the 4.88 timing & tell you that's not a legit time for him. Or if you want to take your critical thinking to the next level, if he truly was a 4.88 then the staff wouldn't be making him a major priority at RB or LB.

Advertisement
Back