4-star LB Bissainthe bonding with Aristide, eyeing future visits

They would be emphasized if we recruited good linebackers. There were times Shaq and those guys looked good. I keep hearing they are not emphasized like it's some excuse for us to trot out jags. No excuse for the staff......go bring dogs that have first round qualities and u will see improvement. The reason we see this "they are not emphasized" excuse is cause we have basic *** guys in that spot that don't stick out.
I am not saying it’s an excuse. I am saying that is the major flaw in Manny’s defense. The LBs are not protected and if they are unable to shed a block they are dead in the water on a play. The Dline needs to disrupt the play in the backfield or you are looking at a big run play.

Advertisement
Our linebacker recruiters haven't been that good. When u see a guy like TRob take over the db room everyone comes. That's all that it tells u about the people responsible for linebacker recruiting.
You right. Losing TWill hurt in that perspective. I think he would have locked down at least two LB'ers at this point. Aristide resume from an actual coaching perspective isn't the greatest.

Junior rankings and player talk crack me up sometimes.... This board and our resident experts were saying WB was the best linebacker in South Florida as a Junior.. So, how is a kid that was the best SoFla LB his Junior and Senior year not Elite???

They would be emphasized if we recruited good linebackers. There were times Shaq and those guys looked good. I keep hearing they are not emphasized like it's some excuse for us to trot out jags. No excuse for the staff......go bring dogs that have first round qualities and u will see improvement. The reason we see this "they are not emphasized" excuse is cause we have basic *** guys in that spot that don't stick out.
Absolutely. This HTX Cane seems like a fan of a rival program badmouthing us to potential LB recruits. Shaq and Pinckney looked great in this defense. The difference with LBs we've had since is they just aren't as good as Shaq and Pickney. Neither Shaq nor Pinckney were super fast, but they both had excellent diagnostic ability, which is the essential skill for LB. The problem is we've been recruiting LBs that for the most part aren't good at diagnosing the play (often converted DEs, which rarely works).

We need to recruit WAY better at the LB spot. We really don't need numbers there.... we need quality.

Absolutely. This HTX Cane seems like a fan of a rival program badmouthing us to potential LB recruits. Shaq and Pinckney looked great in this defense. The difference with LBs we've had since is they just aren't as good as Shaq and Pickney. Neither Shaq nor Pinckney were super fast, but they both had excellent diagnostic ability, which is the essential skill for LB. The problem is we've been recruiting LBs that for the most part aren't good at diagnosing the play (often converted DEs, which rarely works).

We need to recruit WAY better at the LB spot. We really don't need numbers there.... we need quality.
Listen. When someone made the same argument a few months ago on another board, I was like you and thought it was bull****. He asked why is the leading tackler and usually 2 of the top 3 tacklers safeties on Manny defenses going back as far as his days with MSU and UT. I went through the stats and video and I had no rebuttal. In standard defenses where the DTs help keep the LBs clean from blockers, the LBs are able to make plays at the LOS. Most years on those teams, the LB is the leading tackler by far and sometimes the top three tacklers are LBs. If you are a blue chip LB, what scheme is more enticing to you. The one where you are free to make plays and potentially rack up 130/140 tackles, or the one where you will be fighting off blocks and probably top out at 80-90 tackles.

Shaq lead the team in tackles once in 2019 with 107 tackles. The other years he sat 80-90. As good as he was, he still was only a 4th round pick. Pickney wasn’t even drafted.

Now I am not saying Manny’s defenses are terrible. He just prefers a TFL over a play around the line of scrimmage. He wants to try to get the offense in a 3rd and long position and is willing to give up some longer runs before we get there. We will always be a bend but don’t break defense under Manny.

Advertisement
Listen. When someone made the same argument a few months ago on another board, I was like you and thought it was bull****. He asked why is the leading tackler and usually 2 of the top 3 tacklers safeties on Manny defenses going back as far as his days with MSU and UT. I went through the stats and video and I had no rebuttal. In standard defenses where the DTs help keep the LBs clean from blockers, the LBs are able to make plays at the LOS. Most years on those teams, the LB is the leading tackler by far and sometimes the top three tacklers are LBs. If you are a blue chip LB, what scheme is more enticing to you. The one where you are free to make plays and potentially rack up 130/140 tackles, or the one where you will be fighting off blocks and probably top out at 80-90 tackles.

Shaq lead the team in tackles once in 2019 with 107 tackles. The other years he sat 80-90. As good as he was, he still was only a 4th round pick. Pickney wasn’t even drafted.

Now I am not saying Manny’s defenses are terrible. He just prefers a TFL over a play around the line of scrimmage. He wants to try to get the offense in a 3rd and long position and is willing to give up some longer runs before we get there. We will always be a bend but don’t break defense under Manny.
I would say we are the opposite of a bend dont break defense. We risk it all on every play, we go for the TFL and the constant aggression puts pressure on the offense but it can be countered by giving up big plays.

Dude that last paragraph may be the most contradictory set of words I’ve seen here in forever

I would say we are the opposite of a bend dont break defense. We risk it all on every play, we go for the TFL and the constant aggression puts pressure on the offense but it can be countered by giving up big plays.
Actually we don’t , we’re aggressive up front but the secondary is normally two deep or single high. Zone blitzes aren't risky because there’s normally a deep safety. Plenty of cover 3, cover 1 and zone dogs. It’s not like Jim Johnson bringing two or sometimes three guys. Sometimes not even guarding a full back lol . We also normally sit back with cushions or bail out if they do play close. You can give a big chunks like 15-20 yard gainers but rarely give up home runs….. normally. Manny is ok with some chunks but in his mind a sack , tfl or penalty is coming.

This is the area I expect changes. More man and more press.

Dude that last paragraph may be the most contradictory set of words I’ve seen here in forever
How so? Manny would rather be in a 2nd and 12 than a 2nd and 8 so he will go for the TFL and leave the LBs exposed. That means that the offense may pick up a couple of quick 1st downs before we get them in a negative play situation.

Advertisement
Facts. A great LB will show his true talent here at Miami. Shaq had 356 total tackles. Perryman would have eaten in this defense. We just haven't had the horses.
We have been bad we need a coach that can be the TRob of linebackers next off season. Enough with these slow unathletic non UM caliber linebackers. For god's sake this is Miami and that position is super disappointing. Bring me Wes and Perkins and that changes everything next year.

I am not saying it’s an excuse. I am saying that is the major flaw in Manny’s defense. The LBs are not protected and if they are unable to shed a block they are dead in the water on a play. The Dline needs to disrupt the play in the backfield or you are looking at a big run play.
If guys were faster and better they would shed that block and make a play. We needs studs for that aspect of the defense to change.

Advertisement
That’s literally the opposite of bend don't break.
Bend but don’t break is a bit strong , it’s not the same as the Tampa 2 ( Monte Kiffin), but It wants the same results. Playing aggressive up front but sitting back with two deep. Monte wanted a sack , tfl penalty or turnover. He was fine giving up plays here and there. The Tampa 2 like manny got in trouble when teams stayed on time, not getting stuck behind the chains. Also bad rushing days could happen. Theres similarities and also big differences especially with coverages.

That’s literally the opposite of bend don't break.
I get what your saying. I always considered bend but don’t break as a team being able to drive down the field but eventually get stopped. Manny’s defenses can be frustrating to watch as a team starts off the game with 10 yards here, 12 yards there but then we might get a negative play on our 30 and they end up punting or trying a long FG.

Advertisement
Co sign and Diaz should have done more to replace him. Guys like Kevin Patrick and even Mike Barrow would have been marked upgrade over what we have and would have paid on recruiting.
Gus was one of the last hires of the entire cycle, and didn’t immediately even hire Williams. Not everything is Manny’s fault, and hiring a stop gap coach for 8 months would not have been a solution either.

Junior rankings and player talk crack me up sometimes.... This board and our resident experts were saying WB was the best linebacker in South Florida as a Junior.. So, how is a kid that was the best SoFla LB his Junior and Senior year not Elite???

He hasn't played his senior season yet.

Advertisement
Back