4-star LB Bissainthe bonding with Aristide, eyeing future visits

Name one good reason why? And no, just because he played in the NFL isn’t enough. Plenty of dudes played in the league and couldn’t coach a dog to sit.
three reasons. he played at the U AND played in the NFL AND he runs a football camp.

most posters think the above parlays into good coaches. i cannot understand the logic.

Advertisement
Actually we don’t , we’re aggressive up front but the secondary is normally two deep or single high. Zone blitzes aren't risky because there’s normally a deep safety. Plenty of cover 3, cover 1 and zone dogs. It’s not like Jim Johnson bringing two or sometimes three guys. Sometimes not even guarding a full back lol . We also normally sit back with cushions or bail out if they do play close. You can give a big chunks like 15-20 yard gainers but rarely give up home runs….. normally. Manny is ok with some chunks but in his mind a sack , tfl or penalty is coming.

This is the area I expect changes. More man and more press.
Love the Jim Johnson reference.
RIP

Absolutely. This HTX Cane seems like a fan of a rival program badmouthing us to potential LB recruits. Shaq and Pinckney looked great in this defense. The difference with LBs we've had since is they just aren't as good as Shaq and Pickney. Neither Shaq nor Pinckney were super fast, but they both had excellent diagnostic ability, which is the essential skill for LB. The problem is we've been recruiting LBs that for the most part aren't good at diagnosing the play (often converted DEs, which rarely works).

We need to recruit WAY better at the LB spot. We really don't need numbers there.... we need quality.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let’s pump The Brakes. Shaq & Pinckney did not look great in this defense. Shaq went from a future 1st/2nd round prospect as a true frosh & looked very vanilla & at times confused (which he admitted he was over thinking at times). The results was he got drafted in the 4th. Pinckney went from a drafted prospect to in the CFL. And we forget McCloud was apart of that trio. After his TF yr, he became so bad that he was relegated to spot duty to being taken off the field, to now being tried out as a DE.

The Golden Boys (Shaq, Pinckney, McCloud) were the best we had & they all deteriorated after their stellar TF yrs. It’s been precipitously worst since w/ Manny/Patke’s recruits. The scheme is as such: create & cause havoc to get TFLs & sacks…however, it lacks discipline & if a team exploits that lack of discipline, if u don’t have the hogs at LB to clean it up, it’s a wrap.

I am not saying it’s an excuse. I am saying that is the major flaw in Manny’s defense. The LBs are not protected and if they are unable to shed a block they are dead in the water on a play. The Dline needs to disrupt the play in the backfield or you are looking at a big run play.
You’re correct but this has been the philosophy at Miami since Jimmy Johnson. We never had space eater linemen who occupied blockers to let the LBs make plays besides during the Golden/D’Onofrio years. Otherwise Miami has always played an upfield, aggressive style. That style tends to work better when you have the horses to do it but that goes without saying.

Advertisement
If guys were faster and better they would shed that block and make a play. We needs studs for that aspect of the defense to change.
Or you get guys who can actually diagnose plays and beat the blocker to the spot. Guys like Jon Vilma weren’t stacking and shedding linemen. They were beating them to the spot.

You’re correct but this has been the philosophy at Miami since Jimmy Johnson. We never had space eater linemen who occupied blockers to let the LBs make plays besides during the Golden/D’Onofrio years. Otherwise Miami has always played an upfield, aggressive style. That style tends to work better when you have the horses to do it but that goes without saying.
Don't know that I agree with that. When Dennis Erickson came in I think he and Sonny Lubick continued a 4-3 defense that was generally a continuation of the defense run by Johnson. We had a great defense in '89.

After that defense, I had a conversation with our late former DL coach for that '89 team. I remember Bob Karmelowicz talking about how good our DL was. He said to me, "Our linebackers never got blocked."

So, even with what I think was an attacking defense, we found a way to protect our linebackers. I don't know if it takes space eaters, or just a way that the DL's occupy the offensive linemen. I don't know enough about technique and X's and O's. Maybe our defensive linemen were so good that year that the offensive linemen had to occupy themselves with trying to block our superior defensive linemen that they couldn't try to go after our linebackers.

Or you get guys who can actually diagnose plays and beat the blocker to the spot. Guys like Jon Vilma weren’t stacking and shedding linemen. They were beating them to the spot.
I have to agree with this point. since Jimmy Johnson came to UM we’ve had d-linemen who went upfield and it made sense because Florida as a state produced a lot of those linemen. Indeed Erickson was criticized at times for not letting his tackles get upfield. And even he abandoned that defense and realized that the best thing to do it let Warren Sapp and Pat Riley get upfield. And all of those defenses left the linebackers to either take on blockers or beat blockers to the spot.
The great UM linebackers like the Bermuda Triangle, and Ray and Morgan, Webster, Vilma, DJ, Beason, Spence all beat the blocker to the ball carrier. But for this scheme to work the backers need physical speed AND superb processing speed. Spence never had 1st round talent but boy did he process quickly, much like Shaq. Ray had it all. He knew your play and ran sideline to sideline.
This scheme can make linebackers look bad but its also produced lots of future NFL players. We juse haven’t had great talent at the position in a long time. But when we had really good talent in Shaq and Pinckney, UM did pretty well.

Don't know that I agree with that. When Dennis Erickson came in I think he and Sonny Lubick continued a 4-3 defense that was generally a continuation of the defense run by Johnson. We had a great defense in '89.

After that defense, I had a conversation with our late former DL coach for that '89 team. I remember Bob Karmelowicz talking about how good our DL was. He said to me, "Our linebackers never got blocked."

So, even with what I think was an attacking defense, we found a way to protect our linebackers. I don't know if it takes space eaters, or just a way that the DL's occupy the offensive linemen. I don't know enough about technique and X's and O's. Maybe our defensive linemen were so good that year that the offensive linemen had to occupy themselves with trying to block our superior defensive linemen that they couldn't try to go after our linebackers.
I’m disagreeing with you but its a very good discussion so nothing personal.
One of my best friend’s son is the starting inside backer for UVA; Nick Jackson. I’ve known Nick since he was 8. Great kid, incredibly strong but not that fast. Besides the great education, part of why Nick went to UVA was because the linemen at UVA completely occupy and that leaves the linebackers to make a ton of plays. Nicks may have led the ACC last year in tackles As a sophomore and was definitely in the top 5. I bet you didn’t even know his name and he was credited with about 10 tackles against UM.
But if UM ran that defense we would all be tearing our hair out. Its boring, its bend but don’t break, funnel everything inside and try to make teams grind out their drives. But the linebackers are protected and all they have to do is tackle. No chasing and no splash plays; no sacks, no TFL’s by anyone.

My point being that every defense, like every offense, in every sport, has some weakness due to scheme. And the great teams cover up the scheme problems by having superior talent. If we had 1st round talent at linebacker the scheme would look much better. OTOH, our scheme makes d-linemen look good and some probably look much better than they really are because of the scheme.

Advertisement
I have to agree with this point. since Jimmy Johnson came to UM we’ve had d-linemen who went upfield and it made sense because Florida as a state produced a lot of those linemen. Indeed Erickson was criticized at times for not letting his tackles get upfield. And even he abandoned that defense and realized that the best thing to do it let Warren Sapp and Pat Riley get upfield. And all of those defenses left the linebackers to either take on blockers or beat blockers to the spot.
The great UM linebackers like the Bermuda Triangle, and Ray and Morgan, Webster, Vilma, DJ, Beason, Spence all beat the blocker to the ball carrier. But for this scheme to work the backers need physical speed AND superb processing speed. Spence never had 1st round talent but boy did he process quickly, much like Shaq. Ray had it all. He knew your play and ran sideline to sideline.
This scheme can make linebackers look bad but its also produced lots of future NFL players. We juse haven’t had great talent at the position in a long time. But when we had really good talent in Shaq and Pinckney, UM did pretty well.
No doubt. Every scheme has weak spots but when you’ve got superior athletes at every position, those weak spots become minuscule. When you’re running a hyper aggressive system, the weak areas can get magnified pretty quickly if you don’t have the horses. It’s why the “bend but don’t break” philosophy is popular at places that don’t have a ton of NFL talent. Keep everything in front of you, don’t give up big plays, force the offense to put together long drives. But yeah, Miami fans definitely don’t want to hear any of that. Especially after 4 years of D’Onofrio.

Shaq went from a future 1st/2nd round prospect as a true frosh & looked very vanilla & at times confused (which he admitted he was over thinking at times). The results was he got drafted in the 4th. Pinckney went from a drafted prospect to in the CFL. And we forget McCloud was apart of that trio. After his TF yr, he became so bad that he was relegated to spot duty to being taken off the field, to now being tried out as a DE.
Come on Rell. Shaq was NEVER going first or second round with those measurables. LBs Who get drafted that high are typically different level athletes than Shaq, and he’s not a coverage guy in today’s league. Same with Pink. He was small, had injury issues and wasn’t a great athlete. I’m all for criticizing how bad our development, recruiting and play has been at the position but Shaq was a 1st or 2nd rounder the same way that Brad Kaaya was.

Who knows guys! Maybe this defense will feature NFL lineman and DBs and the backers can be small like K Smith so long as they can run and be physical. And we will take those 3 star backers who are tough no matter the stars next to their names like Troutman ( lunatic) Johnson ( crazy ) despite size. You can stop the run with D lineman who are getting up field and big safeties but still worry against power teams. Will it work? no idea. In all, still no excuse not to sign good backers especially inside backers.

Advertisement
Come on Rell. Shaq was NEVER going first or second round with those measurables. LBs Who get drafted that high are typically different level athletes than Shaq, and he’s not a coverage guy in today’s league. Same with Pink. He was small, had injury issues and wasn’t a great athlete. I’m all for criticizing how bad our development, recruiting and play has been at the position but Shaq was a 1st or 2nd rounder the same way that Brad Kaaya was.

Hey hey, brotha; I can only report what the scouts say. Lol Mel Kiper pre 2019 season had him as the #2 ILB in his draft class. Believe Pinckney returned for his Sr yr b/c he got a 5th round grade. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Over/Under- 3

how many pages it’s been since Wesley was mentioned

1629171811569.png

That 89 Dline was insanely good, I mean it had a future Hall of Famer in Tez, #1 pick in Maryland and a guy in Jimmie Jones who had a nice long NFL career. I never saw a front that had the first step quickness and re-set the line of scrimmage the way this unit did.

Although that quickness was used against him as Bobby Bowden called some perfectly timed draws that broke for big plays that lone loss in tally

That 89 Dline was insanely good, I mean it had a future Hall of Famer in Tez, #1 pick in Maryland and a guy in Jimmie Jones who had a nice long NFL career. I never saw a front that had the first step quickness and re-set the line of scrimmage the way this unit did.

Although that quickness was used against him as Bobby Bowden called some perfectly timed draws that broke for big plays that lone loss in tally
That lone loss in Tally was because Erickson broke his knuckle more than anything....those 90 & 91 Lines were as quick as 89....Shane Curry was a frigging Beast....and to be honest...that 94 Line was quick af...any line with Sapp on it, makes it that much quicker...If that Line was at 100% against Nebraska...we win going away...Sapp...Riley (out with torn ACL)..and a healthy Lang and Holmes would've shut down that Slessinger FB Dive BS....You saw what Sapp did for 3 quarters alone...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back