4-Star DE And FSU Commit Mike Morris Is High On Miami

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Mike Morris is one of the top defensive linemen in the state of Florida this year. The 6’6’’ 255 pound defensive end is focusing on making the right decision on where to attend college, but he is also working hard on improving his game. Where specifically is he looking to improve his game?

“My hands. Just using my hands a lot better. I did a lot better with my hands my junior year, but I wanna be getting off the ball, making a quick move with my hands, and making plays.”

Morris describes himself as a freak, and what he did last season while playing injured really backs that statement up.

“I feel accomplished because I played hurt and that was really hard to do. I feel like that was my best season overall just because of what I did. I made like a 17 minute highlight tape with a torn labrum.”

Side note" if you are looking for Morris’ highlight tape, don't look him up on Hudl, just go to his Twitter.

Morris knows that he still has a lot to prove during his senior season. One of those things being emerging from the shadow of his father.

“I’m still trying to prove I am my own player because people still think I got my offer because of my father. So I am still trying to prove myself to everybody and the world.”

Mike Morris, a current FSU commit, has been doing quite a bit of flirting with other schools as of late. This has led some to believe his commitment to FSU may not be so solid at the moment.

“I would say I am committed, but I am also looking for other opportunities at other schools.”

One of the reasons people wonder how solid Morris is to FSU is because he has not been the most frequent visitor to Tallahassee. He has, however, made it down to Coral Gables twice this offseason, including Miami’s Junior Day.

“I went to see Coach Richt and Coach Baez because I am really close to them. They have been recruiting me since freshman year. And I wanted to see a lot of my friends like Tyrique The Freak, Khris Bogle, Cam Williams, John Dunmore… I really wanted to see them.”

Quick note on another defensive end, Morris does not see any way Cam Williams does not end up in this class.

“I don’t think he will because just being apart of Miami, the chain gang, it’s something different.”

Morris also made his way down to Coral Gables just two weeks ago for Miami Nights.

“It was really good. We got to see the new practice field.”

Morris gave us his take on how the Seminoles did during the 2017 season.

“It just looked like they were falling apart. Their head coach wasn’t in it, which made the coaching staff wonder where he was going and whether or not they were gonna get fired. That affected the players and they just looked like they were out of it.”

Morris had a different tone when talking about Miami’s 2017 season.

“Like, you don’t even know. You know how when you watch the wild channel and there is just an animal sitting in the woods and then a pack of wolves just attack it. That’s how Miami’s season went. They just attacked everybody.”

As far as the 2018 season goes, Morris does not know what to expect from the Seminoles.

“I don’t want to put a prediction up because I don’t want to put a prediction up at this time.”

He did, however, give us his prediction for Miami’s 2018 season.

“Miami is probably gonna go the same record or better.”

Morris will not be attending Miami’s Paradise Camp. Unfortunately, he is not available on July 28th.

Morris’ recruitment to FSU is being led by Telly Locket, while Coach Baez has taken charge of his recruitment on Miami’s end.

While Coach Simpson is not leading the charge for Morris, he is still involved in the recruitment.

“We talked quite often when he got there. I familiarized myself with him and we built a good connection. After that I would say he hits me up every once in a while. I would say it’s mostly Coach Alex Devine(Defensive Graduate Assistant) and Coach Baez recruiting me.”

Morris definitely has interest in Miami, but what specifically has caught his eye?

“The turnover chain. To be honest, if I was to go it would be because of the people and the turnover chain.”

Aside from Miami and FSU, Michigan and Tennessee are two other schools to keep an eye on. Morris has already taken an official to Tennessee. Who else will get an official visit from Morris?

“Miami definitely, Michigan, and I am still debating whether I want to go see Florida State or not. I have an official to Michigan set up September 6th.”

Another team that may get an official visit from Morris is Notre Dame.

The recruiting process has been mostly enjoyable for Morris. The most enjoyable would be how much he has learned about people.

“Just wisdom because you get to see who’s really real and who’s really fake. Who’s really gonna take care of you and who’s really not. I got to see that part.”

It has not all been great however. The recruitment process can be stressful, and this has been no different for Morris.

“Just the constant, when are you coming? When are you coming? When are you coming? Just the constant nagging. Probably that.”

Advertisement
I can see him flipping, honestly. He and Fuller are two individuals from FSU I can see flipping to us. Honestly, after this season, I really don’t see FSU being a factor too much longer. Taggart is going to trick off the keys to the Porsche for a Toyota Yaris. (And if any of ya’ll have a Yaris, it’s a fine automobile, just not a Porsche)

He will not be in FSU's class. They are not going to take him as a DL. If he wants to play DL, he has to go elsewhere. I personally think he ends up at Michigan.

Advertisement
If he ends up at Miami does he stay at DE or is he moved to OT after a redshirt?

Good question. I can't really answer that. I don't think the kid is a particularly great DE prospect, personally. If he comes, I'd rather see him bulk up and play either DT or OL. But I'm not sure he can even get that big. But the answer to your question will lie with how big he gets during a redshirt year, but I don't think he's nearly the prospect of the 2 kids we have committed plus Bogle or Summerall.

Advertisement
This kid has talent. Reminds me of McIntosh. Looked huge at the Opening.

Has talent at what position? He's not a DE here after 2 years in a college S&C program. But you did mention McIntosh, so I assume your thinking is if he does wind up in this class, he'll slide inside and play the 3 technique here?

I look at it this way. The only way Morris spurns FSU(his fathers alma mater) is if he expects to play with his good friend Khris Bogle. No way he even considers Tennesse if its not for Bogle. I think its a great sign that he flips late in the process or signing day in order to avoid drama from the fans. Also think its a great sign that Bogle is indeed coming. Tennesse is a legit threat but I think for now we are leading and he is enjoying the process and trolling on twitter.

Advertisement
I look at it this way. The only way Morris spurns FSU(his fathers alma mater) is if he expects to play with his good friend Khris Bogle. No way he even considers Tennesse if its not for Bogle. I think its a great sign that he flips late in the process or signing day in order to avoid drama from the fans. Also think its a great sign that Bogle is indeed coming. Tennesse is a legit threat but I think for now we are leading and he is enjoying the process and trolling on twitter.

Word is FSU doesn’t even contact him anymore.

So wait, what do the Miami coaches see him at? End or DT? What are his speed numbers?

Obviously, there is mutual interest. This is the kind of guy you just keep recruiting and keep the lines of communication open, but you don’t count on him. If he’s a signing day surprise, so be it

Advertisement
This kid has talent. Reminds me of McIntosh. Looked huge at the Opening.

Do you have measurables of him from the Opening? I'm struggling to find them.

This guy looks like he has a big frame and already has good size. I see him adding quality weight pretty easily and being DT size since his freshman year.

Here is the scoop from the FSU side of things. Morris has been told he is not going to ever play defensive end at FSU. Taggart and staff do not think he is an FSU caliber DE. They want him to put on weight and become an offensive tackle. They invited him to their big camp which is also on July 28th. Right now, FSU is not counting on having him or needing him in their class.

Advertisement
Back