4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Philosophically he places the premium on tackling at CB, he really doesn't care about coverage & technique, because his Defense is all about creating havoc plays upfront & getting TFL's, he sacrifices elite coverage for the hope of causing 2/3rd & longs. Everything is predicated on getting the offense behind schedule by disrupting rhythm upfront, the backend is all about the Safeties, he puts almost all of the responsibility on the S's in their coverage shells.

That's the crux of the issue, Manny doesn't really value high level CB play, he thinks it's inconsequential to the success of his Defense, but he's miscalculated that in this era of football you really can't survive without having great corners.

Coverage skills & footwork reigns supreme, yes tackling & setting the edge is important as well, but if you don't have physical cover corners who can't win the leverage battle & transition in phase to make plays on the ball you'll be shît out of luck.
I guess the next part that makes no sense is turnovers were such a huge part of our best Manny defenses and are the ultimate havoc play. But he is essentially conceding that now with the lack of tight coverage and what you are describing. You would think the ideal situation would be the havoc at the line causing errant throws or decisions into tight windows leading to interceptions, similar to what iced the game against NC St. It just makes absolutely no sense.

Advertisement
Philosophically he places the premium on tackling at CB, he really doesn't care about coverage & technique, because his Defense is all about creating havoc plays upfront & getting TFL's, he sacrifices elite coverage for the hope of causing 2/3rd & longs. Everything is predicated on getting the offense behind schedule by disrupting rhythm upfront, the backend is all about the Safeties, he puts almost all of the responsibility on the S's in their coverage shells.

That's the crux of the issue, Manny doesn't really value high level CB play, he thinks it's inconsequential to the success of his Defense, but he's miscalculated that in this era of football you really can't survive without having great corners.

Coverage skills & footwork reigns supreme, yes tackling & setting the edge is important as well, but if you don't have physical cover corners who can't win the leverage battle & transition in phase to make plays on the ball you'll be shît out of luck.

Why does he place premium on CBs tackling when the safeties and LBs can't? It doesn't even feel like they practice it based on results.

I get it, I want CBs that support against the run and bring down WRs immediately IF they catch the ball......but first and foremost, i want kids with feet and hips to play the **** position. Tackle after that is about effort and want. Couch is the smallest guy on the field and wants to. Blades doesn't.

It doesn't matter if a kid can tackle or not if he's 5 yards behind the receiving staring at his ***, or playing 10 yards off the ball afraid of getting beat, giving up the death by 100 cuts scoring drives.

Sadly LCE, I'm beginning to see exactly what you are saying. We somehow every year end up scrambling for CBs; they are clearly not prioritized by Manny. And in this pass-happy era of football, we desperately need good CBs. On Defense, after DL I covet my CBs. While you ideally want all levels of the D to be elite, it is absolutely critical to be strong at the LOS and in the secondary. I'd rather give up a little strength in the second level to ensure that DL and CBs are strong.

That's just my preference, though. I'm guessing Manny is all about the front 7...

Advertisement
Our CB recruiting is a mess, but don't get it confused: Markevious Brown is a legit man-to-man corner from the Muck. He's been known down here since his 7-on-7 days as a young player.

There's a narrative on the board that Brown got burned by MNW and was benched. That's false. He didn't get tested and made some nice tackles. He got pulled from the game because he got mouthy with an opponent/official and picked up an unsportsmanlike penalty on 4th down. Not a good thing, but nothing to do with ability.

Sadly LCE, I'm beginning to see exactly what you are saying. We somehow every year end up scrambling for CBs; they are clearly not prioritized by Manny. And in this pass-happy era of football, we desperately need good CBs. On Defense, after DL I covet my CBs. While you ideally want all levels of the D to be elite, it is absolutely critical to be strong at the LOS and in the secondary. I'd rather give up a little strength in the second level to ensure that DL and CBs are strong.

That's just my preference, though. I'm guessing Manny is all about the front 7...

I think a good model is the Dolphins, they re-built that defense from the outside in starting with CBs. Now they have one of the best defenses (#5 in scoring D) in the NFL. In the era of the spread offense, you can't underestimate the impact of completely erasing the opponent's best WR. The QB is forced to go through progressions, which gives the DL more time to get to him. I have difficult time believing that Diaz is uninterested in elite CBs, but the evidence certainly seems to paint that picture.

Advertisement
I think a good model is the Dolphins, they re-built that defense from the outside in starting with CBs. Now they have one of the best defenses (#5 in scoring D) in the NFL. In the era of the spread offense, you can't underestimate the impact of completely erasing the opponent's best WR. The QB is forced to go through progressions, which gives the DL more time to get to him. I have difficult time believing that Diaz is uninterested in elite CBs, but the evidence certainly seems to paint that picture.

i dont think he doesn’t value them he has a cb coach who just turns away Cb recruits
If he keeps rumph then yea I would say he doesn’t value it

I have zero doubts we will get some legit corners this cycle. Keep in mind we just came off a 6-7 season and we're going to have to prove we are a winning program and we're good enough to keep legit local corners home. I think we will be fine Manny knows this teams weaknesses and he has been attacking them.

I have zero doubts we will get some legit corners this cycle. Keep in mind we just came off a 6-7 season and we're going to have to prove we are a winning program and we're good enough to keep legit local corners home. I think we will be fine Manny knows this teams weaknesses and he has been attacking them.
I hope so, but this isn’t exactly a one year aberration that got us into this situation. It is years of this happening and gross negligence.

I hope so, but this isn’t exactly a one year aberration that got us into this situation. It is years of this happening and gross negligence.

All true. I have a feeling we will be fine. Not to beat a dead horse but I don't see Rumph coming back. Manny sees where this can go and he will make sure we get there with legit coaches on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
All true. I have a feeling we will be fine. Not to beat a dead horse but I don't see Rumph coming back. Manny sees where this can go and he will make sure we get there with legit coaches on both sides of the ball.
My main concern with that is he would leave after the early signing day. So you’re going to try to get kids to sign with a coach they may not know and the kids that guy recruited may very well already have signed elsewhere. This is not even mentioning the fact that kids can’t visit. It is a real mess.

I guess the next part that makes no sense is turnovers were such a huge part of our best Manny defenses and are the ultimate havoc play. But he is essentially conceding that now with the lack of tight coverage and what you are describing. You would think the ideal situation would be the havoc at the line causing errant throws or decisions into tight windows leading to interceptions, similar to what iced the game against NC St. It just makes absolutely no sense.
He doesn't have that same defensive tackle play of RJ and Willis. Those guys were amazing and RJ was an incredible DT at UM and I don't think people know how good he actually was.

Advertisement
He doesn't have that same defensive tackle play of RJ and Willis. Those guys were amazing and RJ was an incredible DT at UM and I don't think people know how good he actually was.
I get it, but that defensive backfield was actually pretty good too. But that aside, recruiting stud DTs should not mean you don’t pursue the best cornerbacks, or linebackers, or safeties, that you possibly can.

RJ reignited are DT tradition. He was better than Willis(Willis was really good too) imo although he did also get to play with a true nose tackle in Norton who did a great job eating up space. Compare how coach K had our DT line up to how Stroud has his line up, and you will see why opponents are able to run right up the middle. We almost never put either of our DT right over the center.

Advertisement
Back