4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Advertisement
Why can’t they cover anybody?

BC997CA8-089F-430E-8BEA-7D52D23A0E42.gif

This Rumph debate is STILL raging? 🤮 Who TF cares what he did or didn't do in the past.

At this point, we have 4 CBs in Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams for 2.5 starting spots. Plus 2 freshman who haven't been able to practice at all (Dunson and Clarke). Not enough depth. Rumph needs to show how great a developer he really is this year with his recruits. And he needs to be a **** of a lot better than 18th in passing defense given our DEs and strength of scheduled this season. Make it happen.

As far as the 2021 class goes, given the above, we need a guy who can play early. Someone who is at least be ready to play meaningful minutes by year 2 when Blades and Ivey are gone. Burns and Curtis most likely won't be those guys. Can Brown be that dude who can step up? From how Geta and LCE talk about him, it sounds like he is would do a great job as a nickle in press coverage. If so let's go all out on the kid. Don't make it about Rumph. Have Rumph flanked by DVD, Reed and Manny to lock the kid's recruitment down.

And win some games. I know we landed monsters like Thad and Tae going 6-7. But winning would go a long way to propping up a position coach who may be a good developer but isn't a good recruiter.

I think we need 2-3 cb on the roster to get the point to some lol. Unreal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If Ivey and Blades show improvement this year locking down both CB spots and say Couch or perhaps Tae plays the nickel CB slot, we could fair very well in the secondary, especially with how Hall and Bolden are going to do in 2020. Now, the key would be seeing if both will come back for the Senior years. If they do, and Hall and Bolden as well, think what kind of secondary we’d field then. Plus 2 more recruiting classes to load up depth.

If you can answer to the best of your knowledge, do we keep him on because we can’t find a replacement? Or is it because “he’s a Cane”? Or because he’s doing enough in their eyes?

Because to me at least, while I do believe he’s a good coach, I don’t think it’s enough to offset the lack of recruiting. I would not mind sacrificing his ability as a teacher and letting him go if it meant getting someone who more than made up for it with recruiting prowess.
So you get a good/great recruiter, but he can’t coach. Now what? Aren’t we always or haven’t we been complaining about coaching for over 10 years?

Let me end this real quick. Rumph can coach and anybody trying to argue differently has no case BUT he’s not a good enough coach to overlook his recruiting abilities and for this defense to take the next step we need to get better in that area. There are enough guys out there like TCU’s CB coach Jeremy Modkins that can coach at the same level Rumph can but can be a better recruiter that Rumph can. I’ve already put a thread out there with my list and all from a coaching standpoint have produced equal or more results as a coach.

Advertisement
Oklahoma outrecruits Miami at cornerback under Rumph by a significant amount.

Oklahoma's .9109 average since Rumph has been here is significant.
So what, who units performs significantly better than the other? Fsu got a lot of highly rated dbs, which unit performs significantly better? Miami on both of those questions

Miami’s cb recruiting average on the roster was over a 91 this spring too I think which was one of the top marks at any position on the roster

Advertisement
In this thread i found out Corn Elder and Michael Jackson were basically one legged bust b4 Rumph.

Again i wouldnt mind a Muck Baby as a commit for Miami like Brown. With Rumph he isnt a shoein as of yet..have to think he is a lean...but also have to think Wes Mcgriff is a much better db coach. Also Paul Williams recruited better than our current guy imo.

Give me Markevious Brown, Duce Chestnut and try to flip Kevin Knowles and im good.
you think we'll drop Burns? What about Curtis?

Advertisement
Back