4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here...but he stinks.

I'm just giving you facts instead of saying he "stinks." The NFL numbers reflect his coaching. Michael Jackson and Adrian Colbert (that's the third name you missed) went from borderline attrition to drafted players. Corn Elder also made a huge jump.

The pass defense numbers reflect both his coaching and the caliber of the players he recruited. We'll see how Blades and the other young guys pan out in the draft.

Your take stinks.

If you aren't using facts, at least change up the words.

Nobody claims Rumph is an elite recruiter. He admitted he went to a psychologist for help. He is good at getting guys in a certain profile-- 6'1+, long, athletic, average speed, low 4-star. Blades, Ivey, Williams and Dunson all fit into this category. Once those guys get here, he is very good at coaching them up to be productive in our system.

The next step is getting to the elite LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, UF tier. Those guys have size and speed and go first round. Miami should be there if it is going to compete for championships. But our current level of play is well above-average.

Advertisement
Hmm.gif

Rumph should have been fired for the CJ Henderson **** up alone

I can’t speak on the power dynamic regarding who he’s allowed to recruit, etc. because very few of us truly know the situation there, but...

I don’t think any rational Rumph hater is on hating because he doesn’t get 5-stars. It’s because he doesn’t get overall numbers for depth and misses on HIGH UPSIDE tier 2/3 South Florida DB’s.

It’s also quite obvious he just doesn’t have the selling gene because a DB coach at UM who is from South Florida and was a 1st rounder at UM should be able to get the Markevious Brown type recruits in his sleep.

He doesn’t like recruiting period. It’s no secret , kids aren’t stupid. He’s a great dude but isn’t about that life lol.

I'm just giving you facts instead of saying he "stinks." The NFL numbers reflect his coaching. Michael Jackson and Adrian Colbert (that's the third name you missed) went from borderline attrition to drafted players. Corn Elder also made a huge jump.

The pass defense numbers reflect both his coaching and the production of the players he recruited. We'll see how Blades and the other young guys pan out in the draft.

Nobody claims Rumph is an elite recruiter. He admitted he went to a psychologist for help. He is good at getting guys in a certain profile-- 6'1+, long, athletic, average speed, low 4-star. Blades, Ivey, Williams and Dunson all fit into this category. Once those guys get here, he is very good at coaching them up to be productive in our system.

The next step is getting to the elite LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, UF tier. Those guys have size and speed and go first round. Miami should be there if it is going to compete for championships. But our current level of play is well above-average.

Brother, I just unload a healthy load of facts for you. His recruiting is mid-tier in the Power 5. If you want to count some late round Paul Williams recruits in the NFL, by all means, but start a different thread for it. He, personally, has recruited no one that was drafted. If you really want to get cute and count Adrian Colbert, who was a safety before he got here, played corner here, went to the NFL and is a journeyman safety, by all means, cool. Wouldn't be something I'd pound the table for, but enjoy. Michael Jackson was a 4-star player, Corn Elder was a 4-star player. Getting them drafted late on Day 3 and ultimately being journeymen in the NFL is like hitting a single with no one on and the pitcher is up next. Cool. Still, they weren't his recruits.

Mid-tier recruiting and putting very little of your players into the NFL at MIAMI...you stink. That's the terminology for coaches like that. Not only has he failed to get commitments from most of Miami's top targets, he's failed (and this is a larger institutional failure that he is at the center of) to secure numbers at his position and at post reply of this post, is understaffed at this position group. Again, idk what to tell you. You can pound the table for this guy...I'm comfortable saying he stinks and saying he should have been fired. Maybe we get lucky and we some how land Jason Marshall and we can extend this discussion and Mike Rumph can survive another day, but even if we get Markevious Brown, Rumph will average an .8708 for this class. Again, idk what your standard is, but that number should be well below it.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The pass defense numbers reflect both his coaching and the caliber of the players he recruited. We'll see how Blades and the other young guys pan out in the draft.

I'd have to agree with most of this. While I believe most have been overly harsh on him on account of high profile misses (most of whom were never coming IMO), to make the jump to this level he's going to need some help. He is what he is.

Brother, I just unload a healthy load of facts for you. His recruiting is mid-tier in the Power 5. If you want to count some late round Paul Williams recruits in the NFL, by all means, but start a different thread for it. He, personally, has recruited no one that was drafted. If you really want to get cute and count Adrian Colbert, who was a safety before he got here, played corner here, went to the NFL and is a journeyman safety, by all means, cool. Wouldn't be something I'd pound the table for, but enjoy. Michael Jackson was a 4-star player, Corn Elder was a 4-star player. Getting them drafted late on Day 3 and ultimately being journeymen in the NFL is like hitting a single with no one on and the pitcher is up next. Cool. Still, they weren't his recruits.

Mid-tier recruiting and putting very little of your players into the NFL at MIAMI...you stink. That's the terminology for coaches like that. Not only has he failed to get commitments from most of Miami's top targets, he's failed (and this is a larger institutional failure that he is at the center of) to secure numbers at his position and at post reply of this post, is understaffed at this position group. Again, idk what to tell you. You can pound the table for this guy...I'm comfortable saying he stinks and saying he should have been fired. Maybe we get lucky and we some how land Jason Marshall and we can extend this discussion and Mike Rumph can survive another day, but even if we get Markevious Brown, Rumph will average an .8708 for this class. Again, idk what your standard is, but that number should be well below it.

Facts??? You state up front that you're comfortable saying he stinks, then you arbitrarily establish narrow metrics to support and buttress your "opinion". Tier 3 by any statistically standard is average, mediocre, ruin-of-the-mill. 50% of D1 schools fall within that band. Tier 2 would reasonably be 15% band above that, not just the 5 teams you choose. Just by judging based on field results Miami's pass defense graded out better than the elite talent at UF (and FSU for that matter) in both passing yards and passing efficiency. If not talent then perhaps it was coaching.

Michael Jackson was a 3*, the 56th CB in his class and was going no where. Corn Elder was highly rated as a RB. As with Jackson, most considered him a disappointment. That all changed in their last two season enough to get each drafted. Perhaps again it was coaching.

No one is saying Miami is elite, but it has not costed Miami in any game in a 6-7 schit storm of a season. Some of you just can't get over the misses of recruits that were never coming here. Since they was predictable, a valid criticism would have been had you made it why they didn't pursue others. And there were talented others to be available early that were UM caliber. If you have the answer to that I'm all ears because I don't believe Richt or Manny (knowing Rumph) trust him with control over the CB board.

Henderson was never coming here, the all-star game story had absolutely nothing to do with it.

CJ committed to Miami in Feb of 2016 during an early Junior day event, he would then go on to visit us a bunch with his teammates Bandy & Jobe, and visited with Latavious Brini a lot as well. By the time June/July came around the rumblings began to start up that he was considering decommitting because he had took a visit up to UF & was being heavily pursued by Randy Shannon (who was their DC at the time) & coach Torrian Gray (who was their CB's coach), he eventually wound up decommitting in the first week of October. Our staff kept chasing him around for the next few months leading up to the Army All-American game in January where that "argument" story supposedly happened. He took his OV to UF on January 20th 2017 & announced his commitment to UF on NSD in February of 2017.

People thought that he was coming back because Ariz used to tell the board that we were still in it for CJ & because he continued to visit a few times. But back in July over the summer he had already decommitted he just never announced it because he didn't want too much local backlash, when he visited UF in the summer (specifically on July 22nd) he told Shannon he was going there, his dad is also a UF fan & was pushing CJ to UF the whole time & had Choad Wilson in his ear pushing him to UF too. CJ's favorite players were **** Tabor & Quincy Wilson, he was always a UF kid, once they offered him he was always high on them.

Because he went to Columbus & committed to us early everyone thought he should've been a Miami lock & theoretically speaking he probably should have, but the reality is he never really cared for Miami as much as people thought, he visited us 20 some odd times because it was just the thing to do, literally a month after he gave us the verbal in Feb 2016 & he took an UV to UF in March. From the very beginning he was looking for a chance to get out of his commitment to us.

Thank for the clarification, LCE. I must have had some dates mixed up, but that middle paragraph vibes with my general recollection of the recruitment. I remember there was smoke about him decommitting for a while before he even visited UiF, and a lot of people were talking about a decommit from him for months before it happened. But yeah, either way, he wasn't coming to Miami.

In this thread i found out Corn Elder and Michael Jackson were basically one legged bust b4 Rumph.

Again i wouldnt mind a Muck Baby as a commit for Miami like Brown. With Rumph he isnt a shoein as of yet..have to think he is a lean...but also have to think Wes Mcgriff is a much better db coach. Also Paul Williams recruited better than our current guy imo.

Give me Markevious Brown, Duce Chestnut and try to flip Kevin Knowles and im good.

Advertisement
He doesn’t like recruiting period. It’s no secret , kids aren’t stupid. He’s a great dude but isn’t about that life lol.
If you can answer to the best of your knowledge, do we keep him on because we can’t find a replacement? Or is it because “he’s a Cane”? Or because he’s doing enough in their eyes?

Because to me at least, while I do believe he’s a good coach, I don’t think it’s enough to offset the lack of recruiting. I would not mind sacrificing his ability as a teacher and letting him go if it meant getting someone who more than made up for it with recruiting prowess.

Jackson was a 4 star on 1 site and corn played rb in hs

I think if Blades can get drafted in the first 2 rounds it will at least give Rumph something to show the local kids...I also think we sometimes recruit kids who are too slow kids or a kid who is to small in that room and when you have no depth it makes players play out of position (Bandy) (Ivey shouldve been benched after GT)...hopefully blades can continue to improve and that should help us in recruiting in spite of Rumph

It would also be very easy to attribute to the change in scheme instead of the CB coach, as they all seemed to improve when Manny took over the defense.

An attacking d-line that makes aggressive plays has always made CB’s look better.

Advertisement
Just a quick eyeball test from the past 5 years...

The next tier would include Florida State, Oregon, Texas, SC, Oklahoma, IMO.

Nebraska, Michigan State, Washington, Notre Dame, Michigan, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Penn State have also done pretty well at recruiting corners.

Since Rumph's first full class.

Miami's average cornerback recruit score is .8988. Nebraska is .8956. Michigan is 9039. South Carolina is .8896. Florida State .9376. Washington is .8983.

idk where your definition of the "next tier" is, but I think you need to readjust. I'd say Miami is a tier three program recruiting cornerback and, IMO, should always be at tier two or better. We're significantly behind our two in-state rival programs at recruiting the position. That should tell you enough. We've got numbers on par with Washington and Nebraska.

Rumph just isn't good, idk what to tell you. Some things are self-evident.
Listing Oklahoma in that next tier is laughable let’s be real about the situation. Their dbs routinely suck . And Washington All though the rankings don’t show it their kids develop at a high rate and become at the least day 2 draft picks, they have had a number of those the last few years at the position

CJ *****ED UP REAL TALK. HE BALLED, BUT HE *****ED UP. IMAGINE HIM PLAYING FOR JIMMY, WOODY, BEAR OR A COUPLE OTHER HARDLINE COACHES. HE WOULD HAVE FOLDED IF HE WAS TRIPPIN OFF THAT LIL INCIDENT WITH RUMPH.
CJ is soft he doesn’t tackle at all he can cover but he’s a ***** made football player not just saying that bc he’s a gator just what I saw. If he had Bandys dog in him he would’ve been the first Cb picked

CJ is soft he doesn’t tackle at all he can cover but he’s a ***** made football player not just saying that bc he’s a gator just what I saw. If he had Bandys dog in him he would’ve been the first Cb picked

He got picked #9 OVERALL. IN THE FIRST ROUND.

Advertisement
In this thread i found out Corn Elder and Michael Jackson were basically one legged bust b4 Rumph.

Again i wouldnt mind a Muck Baby as a commit for Miami like Brown. With Rumph he isnt a shoein as of yet..have to think he is a lean...but also have to think Wes Mcgriff is a much better db coach. Also Paul Williams recruited better than our current guy imo.

Give me Markevious Brown, Duce Chestnut and try to flip Kevin Knowles and im good.
who did Paul Williams actually get? And I mean came here because of the great recruiting he did? I don’t remember one recruit coming here because of Paul Williams.

Listing Oklahoma in that next tier is laughable let’s be real about the situation. Their dbs routinely suck . And Washington All though the rankings don’t show it their kids develop at a high rate and become at the least day 2 draft picks, they have had a number of those the last few years at the position

Oklahoma outrecruits Miami at cornerback under Rumph by a significant amount.

Oklahoma's .9109 average since Rumph has been here is significant.

This Rumph debate is STILL raging? 🤮 Who TF cares what he did or didn't do in the past.

At this point, we have 4 CBs in Blades, Ivey, Couch, Williams for 2.5 starting spots. Plus 2 freshman who haven't been able to practice at all (Dunson and Clarke). Not enough depth. Rumph needs to show how great a developer he really is this year with his recruits. And he needs to be a **** of a lot better than 18th in passing defense given our DEs and strength of scheduled this season. Make it happen.

As far as the 2021 class goes, given the above, we need a guy who can play early. Someone who is at least be ready to play meaningful minutes by year 2 when Blades and Ivey are gone. Burns and Curtis most likely won't be those guys. Can Brown be that dude who can step up? From how Geta and LCE talk about him, it sounds like he is would do a great job as a nickle in press coverage. If so let's go all out on the kid. Don't make it about Rumph. Have Rumph flanked by DVD, Reed and Manny to lock the kid's recruitment down.

And win some games. I know we landed monsters like Thad and Tae going 6-7. But winning would go a long way to propping up a position coach who may be a good developer but isn't a good recruiter.

Advertisement
Back