4⭐ DB Christian Williams Flipping From Bama To TNM?

Advertisement
I am a minority in this but I wouldn’t take anything from anyone. What kind of message would I be giving my children?

It’s hard to justify a system that pays coaches millions, has the university earning tens of millions after expenses and the players get nothing but free tuition and living expenses while putting their bodies on the line every day. I think most parents of elite kids know they’re being exploited. So the morality of taking bags is ambiguous. ... of course, the system is great to the 80-90% of the players who aren’t exceptional. Hard to unwind this mess. But getting harder every day to fault the parents or kids who merit a payout and go looking for one.

It’s hard to justify a system that pays coaches millions, has the university earning tens of millions after expenses and the players get nothing but free tuition and living expenses while putting their bodies on the line every day. I think most parents of elite kids know they’re being exploited. So the morality of taking bags is ambiguous. ... of course, the system is great to the 80-90% of the players who aren’t exceptional. Hard to unwind this mess. But getting harder every day to fault the parents or kids who merit a payout and go looking for one.

That’s on them as people and parents. I understand if someone takes the incentives but don’t agree with it. I rather teach my children the value of hard work, good morals and values.

That’s on them as people and parents. I understand if someone takes the incentives but don’t agree with it. I rather teach my children the value of hard work, good morals and values.
Truth. Anybody can win @ Monopoly by cheating...no sense of accomplishment at all.

Another big-time change of heart coming?

Fellow Alabama All-Star cornerback and Under Armour All-American Christian Williams is fresh off of an official visit to Miami and there have been rumblings about he and Alabama going separate ways dating back before the New Year. The Daphne (Ala.) four-star elected not to sign in December in order to see new campuses, much like the aforementioned James, so the thought of him following suit and opening up his recruitment shouldn't be considered a surprise. Early on it was Auburn and LSU which appeared to be a thorn in Alabama's side but now it's a pair of non-SEC programs with The U and potentially Oregon in the mix late.

While an official visit to LSU could soon be in the cards, the only official visit remaining according to Williams' current schedule is the trip to Eugene just days before pen meets paper on February 6. For what it's worth Williams hasn't vocalized any lack of solidity with the Crimson Tide on his end and he has yet to take an official visit to Tuscaloosa, something that could change as early as this coming weekend without a destination finalized as of Monday morning. No new Crystal Ball picks have come in elsewhere...yet

Advertisement

I like where you're coming from. I'd just mention that putting your child into this system might teach them something about who gets what that you didn't intend and may not want. The system says it's fine to make all that money and give almost none of it to the workers who make the actual product. To be fair they'll figure out that's how the world works eventually, but you will have put them into the system and sold their labor cheap.

Nope, Gilbert had a great showing in spring but did not perform as well in the fall due to coming in to fall camp with a hamstring injury and it affected his play and I can Imagine confidence at the position too. Looking for a big season this year for him
Gilbert takes the starting job from D.J. this year. Mark that down as my hot take.

1548102953594.png

Advertisement
I see all these predictions about who is starting where. Why is nobody even mentioning the possibility of Gilbert competing and taking a day 1 job? Are the others that far ahead or more talented? I don't think so. Not from the highlights I've seen.
No one thinks Blades can play on the outside? Just curious

I hear ya. I'm right there with you, too.

But morality is a luxury. Should a single-mom (or grandmother) making $20K with no benefits living in Overtown seeing guys like Saban making $8M a year feel guilty taking a bag of cash left in her son's hotel room by some anonymous Bama booster with no return address, and the promise of (much) more to come?

I'm personally in a position where I would tell my kid to refuse it, you're not a mercenary-for-hire doing illegal acts, and no one owns you. If I had a mountain of credit card debt, mouths to feed, a ******* boss in a dead-end-job, the landlord banging on my front door demanding rent payment ... well, I just might feel differently. Lord knows I won't judge that anymore, not knowing how rotten NCAA football has become.

All that said, I strongly believe Miami is among the most respectable programs in the country, and any recruit -- especially a So FL recruit -- would have a higher probability of ending up better off long term going to Miami than going to a snake pit like Bama or OSU.

Why do y'all always assume all these kids are dirt pour?

Some are, but not all.

Let's not lump everyone into the same category here.

Who's assuming that? Not me. I'm saying I used to take a hard stance when an elite recruit's family was rumored to be taking improper benefits. I thought it was wrong and that the kids were somehow tainted. But I no longer feel I have any right to judge them given how broken the system is, and how much other people are making off of their talent when they often have no safety net if they're injured or passed over, especially where the recruits & families involved are in vulnerable financial situations. In those cases, it really is a "business decision".

Advertisement
people **** on parents like they know what it's like to be in their shoes. You kid is basically going to college to get pimped out unless he will be a pro or a coach one day. spare me. oh they get a degree. come on. Some of these kids grow up in horrible poverty. at the same time, i get forcing a kid where they dont want to be. BUT if a kid wants to go to a school and the parents want money, i dont see a big issue. sorry

Wiltfong says he canceled his OV to Alabama and will be visiting Texas A&M this weekend and LSU next weekend.

Advertisement
You don't have to be poor and helpless to take bags of cash

You can just be a greedy/selfish SOB

Honestly I know that the bag game is a sore topic on this board because its worked against us for some time now, but who the **** in there right mind isn't taking a bag to go play ball if its offered to them? You can argue integrity and loyalty until you're blue in the face but unless I've got 20 million in the bank 100K is 100K...

Wiltfong says he canceled his OV to Alabama and will be visiting Texas A&M this weekend and LSU next weekend.
In summary, he's not going to Bama anymore. But sounds like we are at the table and with two SEC teams in the mix.... i don't like our chances.

Advertisement
Back