31 current players from Dade, Broward, Palm Beach

Advertisement
Butch went all over the place for recruits

Canada, PA, NJ, CA, LA, OK, TX

I have no problem pulling out of state kids to supplement the Florida kids.

I don't see why we had to leave FL to find a kid like Gordinier.

I think you have to go out of state to consistently find great QB's, D-linemen and O-linemen. Occasionally for LB's. However there's no reason to ever leave South Florida for RB's, WR's and DB's unless the kid is special. Just look around the county at how many South Florida kids are excelling at those positions right now at other schools. It's heartbreaking.

I think you have to go out of state to consistently find great QB's, D-linemen and O-linemen. Occasionally for LB's. However there's no reason to ever leave South Florida for RB's, WR's and DB's unless the kid is special. Just look around the county at how many South Florida kids are excelling at those positions right now at other schools. It's heartbreaking.

This right here this this and more of this

I think this was mentioned before and somebody had the stats..There is a HUGE misconception in regards to how Butch recruited. That 2001 team didn't have many starters from SoFla on it AT ALL. I wish someone could copy and paste the poster who actually did the research. It was actually alarming.

Problem is..the SoFla starters we did have were "4/5 stars" recruits. Very few diamond in the rough, Plan C guys.

FSU is taking all of the 4/5 star SoFla guys and surrounding them with OOS kids who are good as well. Same formula Butch used.

Well a lot of those guys now we consider 4-5 star guys, reed wasnt a 5 star and believe it or not sean wasnt either, also we brought a lot of those track athletes here, but notice where he brought in the stud athletes from down here, the skill position spots RB, WR, thats where butch focused down here

Exactly. Recruits and recruiting have changed, bottom line.

****, look no further than a dolt like Ferman making a living off of it. Big business, big payouts to recruits and their families.

UM simply didn't keep up. Its not so difficult to explain in my mind, any more than the facility upgrades well over a decade too late. We hired cheap "hopefuls" while the big boys hired expensive proven commodities at head coach. Big time blue chips were bought at places like Alabama, then the great expensive coaching and wins followed making recruiting that much easier. No way we are here if Butch is provided a buy out clause (AND actually sticks around) and hands a successful baton off in 2005 or so to a serious proven candidate...not in my mind anyway.

UM was simply caught in money saving mode and stressing belief that the best recruits and best facilities were all a myth because "look what we did in the 80s, 90s and with Butch". All the while boosters and street agents were stepping up their game to unprecedented levels and saying the **** with the corrupt NCAA. Our best effort to keep up sadly came in the form of the f-n rat ****piro, not by way of hiring of proven commodity at head coach that might know how to even the playing field a bit and let our home grown recruiting advantage shine.

The most sickening aspect of all of it is how lethargic the powers that be are in regard to trying to get back to some semblance of success...every decision seems to compound our misery

UM

Advertisement
This.

Seeing us fumble around and **** up those positions is what tells you all you need to know about this staff and their recruiting. You have to almost purposely **** up.

Just because Butch successfully left the state of Miami for unheralded recruits doesn't mean it should be etched in stone.

We've always been best off supplementing lots of local talent with guys at need positions, specifically DT and OL, from else-ware, and I don't think that's something we need to deviate from.

At the very least, we should do a better job of identifying Florida guys and getting them into school at walk-on/preferred walk-on spots. Under Golden our walk-on spots have been filled quite a bit by slow guys from northern states. Can't imagine how crappy the scout team must be. Go on the roster and look where lots of the walk-ons hail from.

Our depth, especially at skill positions, should be majority Florida guys.

I think this was mentioned before and somebody had the stats..There is a HUGE misconception in regards to how Butch recruited. That 2001 team didn't have many starters from SoFla on it AT ALL. I wish someone could copy and paste the poster who actually did the research. It was actually alarming.

Problem is..the SoFla starters we did have were "4/5 stars" recruits. Very few diamond in the rough, Plan C guys.

FSU is taking all of the 4/5 star SoFla guys and surrounding them with OOS kids who are good as well. Same formula Butch used.

Well a lot of those guys now we consider 4-5 star guys, reed wasnt a 5 star and believe it or not sean wasnt either, also we brought a lot of those track athletes here, but notice where he brought in the stud athletes from down here, the skill position spots RB, WR, thats where butch focused down here

Exactly. Recruits and recruiting have changed, bottom line.

****, look no further than a dolt like Ferman making a living off of it. Big business, big payouts to recruits and their families.

UM simply didn't keep up. Its not so difficult to explain in my mind, any more than the facility upgrades well over a decade too late. We hired cheap "hopefuls" while the big boys hired expensive proven commodities at head coach. Big time blue chips were bought at places like Alabama, then the great expensive coaching and wins followed making recruiting that much easier. No way we are here if Butch is provided a buy out clause (AND actually sticks around) and hands a successful baton off in 2005 or so to a serious proven candidate...not in my mind anyway.

UM was simply caught in money saving mode and stressing belief that the best recruits and best facilities were all a myth because "look what we did in the 80s, 90s and with Butch". All the while boosters and street agents were stepping up their game to unprecedented levels and saying the **** with the corrupt NCAA. Our best effort to keep up sadly came in the form of the f-n rat ****piro, not by way of hiring of proven commodity at head coach that might know how to even the playing field a bit and let our home grown recruiting advantage shine.

The most sickening aspect of all of it is how lethargic the powers that be are in regard to trying to get back to some semblance of success...every decision seems to compound our misery

UM

This about sums it up

Half the team should be from S. Florida.

I would take a 3 star from Miami before 90% of the 4 stars around the country.

Word. Generally speaking, a 4-5 star kid from just about anywhere else would look like a 2-3 star against the level of competition down here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's an embarrassingly low amount.

Actually, they are right around what we've trended at as a school. When you look at historical UM teams, they average about 65% of the roster being from Florida. Of those, approximately 80% (from what I recall when I did this analysis years ago) have been from sofla. So, history says that number should be closer to 44 (with a full 85).

Notable South Fla kids under Butch off the top of my head:

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Morgan is from PA he transferred to a school down here, a lot of those guys werent highly recruited, man i miss those days with that stacked roster

Beat me to the punch. A lot of guys on that list WERE NOT highly rated. Morgan was a 1 star recruit and played RB at JP Tarravella. (White school. Good academics. Bad football.)

I could go through the list but its pointless. But there are a lot of kids on there that weren't 4/5 star guys.

What does them being highly rated have to do with anything? This thread is about S Fla kids, not highly rated S Fla kids.

Butch recruited the best athletes he could get his hands on, and then coached the crap out of them - sometimes at a position other than the one they played in HS.

When you have a team of top athletes, the positions can be coached - and then with their athletic ability - they would do amazing things.

Al by contrast, takes some really good athletes, bulks them up, and then coaches them down. Golden can take a four star and have him playing one star in months.

Yearby
Tucker
Gray
Walton
Waters
Coley
Lewis
Langham
Darling
Linder
Isidora
McDermott
Hamilton
Thomas
Moten
McIntosh
Grace
Gayot
Smith
McCray
Jackson
King
Perry
Bush
Howard
Burns
Carter
Mayes
Johnson
Knowles
Redwine

Is this nearly enough? This staff seems to think that recruiting the entire state of Florida is more important than securing kids from South Florida. Considering the abundance of talent in our own backyard, are they missing the boat? Golden has pulled more kids from Orlando, Tampa, J'ville than we've seen in the past. I happen to think this team has the talent to win the ACC in 2015 so am I making more out of this than it really is?

We've got about 30 kids from out of state, 30 from South Florida, 20 from other parts of Florida. Are they doing it wrong?

We had the talent to win it since 2013 and haven't do so, so I'm not going to hold my breath this year.

Advertisement
Butch went all over the place for recruits

Canada, PA, NJ, CA, LA, OK, TX

I have no problem pulling out of state kids to supplement the Florida kids.

I don't see why we had to leave FL to find a kid like Gordinier.

This! The fence was built for a reason...when the Fence was up, we won chips....now we have some smart guy who says, we get to So. Fla when we get to So. Fla and you see the end result.

Yearby
Tucker
Gray
Walton
Waters
Coley
Lewis
Langham
Darling
Linder
Isidora
McDermott
Hamilton
Thomas
Moten
McIntosh
Grace
Gayot
Smith
McCray
Jackson
King
Perry
Bush
Howard
Burns
Carter
Mayes
Johnson
Knowles
Redwine

Is this nearly enough? This staff seems to think that recruiting the entire state of Florida is more important than securing kids from South Florida. Considering the abundance of talent in our own backyard, are they missing the boat? Golden has pulled more kids from Orlando, Tampa, J'ville than we've seen in the past. I happen to think this team has the talent to win the ACC in 2015 so am I making more out of this than it really is?

We've got about 30 kids from out of state, 30 from South Florida, 20 from other parts of Florida. Are they doing it wrong?

We had the talent to win it since 2013 and haven't do so, so I'm not going to hold my breath this year.

No since he came in 2011...

I don't mind a roster with only 30 to 35 South Florida kids if most of them are solid players. My issue is the South Florida kids that we're missing out on...or the South Florida kids that we don't even recruit. I also have a problem with us going out of town to recruit certain kids when we have equal or better kids in our own backyard.
(i.e. going to the West coast to sign Danny Dillard and Nate Dortch when you have Fabian Moreau 30 minutes away)
(i.e. going to the Carolinas to sign Braxton Berrios when you have Isiah McKenzie right up the road)

Advertisement
You can't blame the staff for getting barrios man. Kid can ball and loves the U. He came to camp and was on campus all the time. Other dude didn't even really give us a look. Just expected an offer smh. These SF divas I swear!

You can't blame the staff for getting barrios man. Kid can ball and loves the U. He came to camp and was on campus all the time. Other dude didn't even really give us a look. Just expected an offer smh. These SF divas I swear!

Divas. smh. Most of these kids work their a$$es off year-round and compete against other schools loaded with D1 talent every week.

I don't mind a roster with only 30 to 35 South Florida kids if most of them are solid players. My issue is the South Florida kids that we're missing out on...or the South Florida kids that we don't even recruit. I also have a problem with us going out of town to recruit certain kids when we have equal or better kids in our own backyard.
(i.e. going to the West coast to sign Danny Dillard and Nate Dortch when you have Fabian Moreau 30 minutes away)
(i.e. going to the Carolinas to sign Braxton Berrios when you have Isiah McKenzie right up the road)

I agree with this, except berrios deserved to be recruited the kid balls out every game, we should have recruited mckenzie too

Divas. smh. Most of these kids work their a$$es off year-round and compete against other schools loaded with D1 talent every week.

+100000
Just because they are more intuitive to what a good coach is about haha. You have kids not turning in their NLOI weeks after signing day yet they want to call these kids divas. We're going out of state to pick players only for them to leave a month later because they don't like but south Florida players are divas? Man some of our fans are a joke. They'll bash their hometown to protect these coaches...

Advertisement
Back