Bush
Howard
Burns
Carter
Mayes
Johnson
Knowles
Redwine

Is this nearly enough? This staff seems to think that recruiting the entire state of Florida is more important than securing kids from South Florida. Considering the abundance of talent in our own backyard, are they missing the boat? Golden has pulled more kids from Orlando, Tampa, J'ville than we've seen in the past. I happen to think this team has the talent to win the ACC in 2015 so am I making more out of this than it really is?

We've got about 30 kids from out of state, 30 from South Florida, 20 from other parts of Florida. Are they doing it wrong?

Advertisement
We gotta get the right kids from SoFl, butch would usually get one or two elite guys from here and the rest he would get from out of state or north or central florida

I think this was mentioned before and somebody had the stats..There is a HUGE misconception in regards to how Butch recruited. That 2001 team didn't have many starters from SoFla on it AT ALL. I wish someone could copy and paste the poster who actually did the research. It was actually alarming.

Problem is..the SoFla starters we did have were "4/5 stars" recruits. Very few diamond in the rough, Plan C guys.

FSU is taking all of the 4/5 star SoFla guys and surrounding them with OOS kids who are good as well. Same formula Butch used.

Notable South Fla kids under Butch off the top of my head:

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

I think this was mentioned before and somebody had the stats..There is a HUGE misconception in regards to how Butch recruited. That 2001 team didn't have many starters from SoFla on it AT ALL. I wish someone could copy and paste the poster who actually did the research. It was actually alarming.

Problem is..the SoFla starters we did have were "4/5 stars" recruits. Very few diamond in the rough, Plan C guys.

FSU is taking all of the 4/5 star SoFla guys and surrounding them with OOS kids who are good as well. Same formula Butch used.

Well a lot of those guys now we consider 4-5 star guys, reed wasnt a 5 star and believe it or not sean wasnt either, also we brought a lot of those track athletes here, but notice where he brought in the stud athletes from down here, the skill position spots RB, WR, thats where butch focused down here

Advertisement
Half the team should be from S. Florida.

I would take a 3 star from Miami before 90% of the 4 stars around the country.

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Morgan is from PA he transferred to a school down here, a lot of those guys werent highly recruited, man i miss those days with that stacked roster

Half the team should be from S. Florida.

I would take a 3 star from Miami before 90% of the 4 stars around the country.

That's why I like having guys like Knowles, Redwine, King, Brady, Langham, Linder.

The more heralded guys like Burns, Howard, Coley, Carter, Grace, Darling, Yearby, Walton, Thomas, Moten, McDermott should always be the main focus. But the coal shovelers should be the three star kids from down here who want to stay home.

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Morgan is from PA he transferred to a school down here, a lot of those guys werent highly recruited, man i miss those days with that stacked roster

Beat me to the punch. A lot of guys on that list WERE NOT highly rated. Morgan was a 1 star recruit and played RB at JP Tarravella. (White school. Good academics. Bad football.)

I could go through the list but its pointless. But there are a lot of kids on there that weren't 4/5 star guys.

Advertisement

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Yes I'm aware about Morgan but he played HS ball in Broward. I think Butch knew about him before he moved down here though, iirc.

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Gore never played under Butch and wouldn't have played for UM if Butch didn't leave. It was one of the few bad recruiting decisions Butch made.

If you know how to evaluate talent like Butch Davis, you get a pass on going out of state to get kids you like.

Unfortunately, Al Golden hasn't proven he's in the same hemisphere as far as being able to evaluate like that. His best bet would be going after SoFla blue-chip talent, and the best way to do that is to heavily focus on recruiting SoFla. Part of that is taking flyers on 2-3 star kids from the area to help and keep established pipelines. For that reason alone it's better to take a three star from SoFla than a three star from North Florida, Georgia, or New ******* Jersey. Not to mention that, in the right system, i'd go to war with a bunch of SoFla three star kids anyday.

Advertisement

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Yes I'm aware about Morgan but he played HS ball in Broward. I think Butch knew about him before he moved down here though, iirc.

Probably knowing butch but i dont really count him since he came his senior year

Willis
Gore
Najeh
Jackson
Santana
Sands
Beard
King
Gonzalez
Carey
C. Joseph
Myers
Wilfork
McDougle
W. Joseph
Webster
Morgan
Weaver
Rumph
Sikes
Myers
Blades

Gore never played under Butch and wouldn't have played for UM if Butch didn't leave. It was one of the few bad recruiting decisions Butch made.

Good call on Gore.

Replace him with Vilma.

The best high school football is played in S FL. The most talent in high school football is located in S FL.

This staff, or any staff that has this in your backyard and you fail to take advantage of it, then you're a fuggin moran.

With this staff, 31 isn't enough.

Advertisement
You have to remember also recruiting back then was different as it is now, those kids that were 1-3 stars back then would be 4-5 stars now a days and would be put on blast by all the sites

2001 Roster
7 players (32%) of the starting 22 from Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties
4 (18%) from the rest of FL
11 (50%) out of state
K, P both out of state

Position Name Hometown (School)
QB Ken Dorsey Orinda, CA (Miramonte HS)
FB Najeh Davenport Miami, Fla. (Central HS)
HB Clinton Portis Gainesville, Fla. (Gainesville HS)
TE Jeremy Shockey Ada, Okla. (Oklahoma JC)
WR Andre Johnson Miami, Fla. (Miami Senior HS)
WR Daryl Jones Dallas, Texas (Carter HS)
LT Bryant McKinnie Woodbury, N.J. (Lackawanna JC) (Woodbury HS)
LG Sherko Haji-Rasouli Toronto, Ontario, Canada (J.A. MacDonald HS)
C Brett Romberg Windsor, Ontario, Canada (Belle River District HS)
RG Martin Bibla Mountaintop, Pa. (Crestwood HS)
RT Joaquin Gonzalez Miami, Fla. (Columbus HS)
RE Andrew Williams Tampa, Fla. (Hillsborough HS)
DT Matt Walters Melbourne, Fla. (Eau Gallie HS)
DT William Joseph Miami, Fla. (Edison HS)
LE Jerome McDougle Pompano Beach, Fla. (Hinds CC) (Ely HS)
OLB D.J. Williams Concord, CA (De La Salle HS)
MLB Jonathan Vilma Coral Gables, Fla. (Coral Gables HS)
OLB Chris Campbell Mt. Pleasant, Texas (Mt. Pleasant HS)
RCB Mike Rumph Delray Beach, FL (Atlantic HS)
FS Ed Reed St. Rose, La. (Destrehan HS)
SS James Lewis Piscataway, N.J. (Piscataway HS)
LCB Phillip Buchanon Fort Myers, Fla. (Lehigh HS)
K Todd Sievers Ankeny, Iowa (Ankeny HS)
P Freddie Capshaw Rock Springs, WY (Rock Springs HS)

Was DJ the only big-time recruit out of this bunch?

Dorsey
Shockey
Jones
McKinnie
Haji-Rasouli
Bibla
Romberg
Williams
Campbell
Reed
Lewis

Advertisement