3-Star Offensive Lineman Plazz Commits to Miami Hurricanes' 2024 Recruiting Class

View as article
Advertisement
Congrats to Plazz. Hope he comes here and kills it.

On a side note, I'm curious as to where this narrative about Mario being a top evaluator of lower-ranked talent is coming from. That obviously wasn't something he showed during his time at Bama under Saban. The only players Mario recruited to Oregon who become first round or Day 2 draft picks were:

- OT Penei Sewell, a high 4* and top 75 overall recruit who went 7th overall in the 2021 draft.
- DE Kayvon Thibodeaux, a 5* and the #2 overall recruit in 2019 who went 5th overall in the 2022 draft.
- S Jevon Holland, a rock solid 4* and top 150 overall recruit who became the 36th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

If you zero in on his bread and butter by looking at Oregon's current OL to see how players he recruited to that program are expected to do this year, you'll see that 2 of their 5 starters are transfers brought in by Lanning. Their LT, Josh Conerly, is a 5* who committed to Oregon months after Lanning first arrived. The other two starters along their OL are:

[BGCOLOR=initial]- C Jackson Powers-Johnson, a former rock solid 4* and top 200 overall recruit signed by Mario & Mirabal, who's one of the top returning guards in the nation. [/BGCOLOR]
- RG Steven Jones, a former 4* and top 250 overall recruit signed by Cristobal, who's also a returning starter.

If Mario has some secret sauce for evaluating lower-ranked players, that would be great for us. But it's also not something he's proven and it certainly isn't why he has the reputation he possesses as a great recruiter.

Wow, I did not know that. Was a new school built to take some of the enrollment off of Mandarin? I know there is MASSSSIVE growth in south Jax right now, I have some family up there.
That’s what Atlantic Coast was built for originally, that only provided temporary relief. But like you pointed out, the growth has really started in South Jax/Saint Johns County. Rezoning seems to be taking place every year, Bartram doesn’t even take all the kids from the neighborhood right across the street, it’s getting crazy.

All them **** Yankees coming down here.

That’s what Atlantic Coast was built for originally, that only provided temporary relief. But like you pointed out, the growth has really started in South Jax/Saint Johns County. Rezoning seems to be taking place every year, Bartram doesn’t even take all the kids from the neighborhood right across the street, it’s getting crazy.

All them **** Yankees coming down here.
Also many Duval County residents moving to St. John’s, or at least sending their kids to St. John’s schools

Advertisement

On a side note, I'm curious as to where this narrative about Mario being a top evaluator of lower-ranked talent is coming from. That obviously wasn't something he showed during his time at Bama under Saban. The only players Mario recruited to Oregon who become first round or Day 2 draft picks were:

- OT Penei Sewell, a high 4* and top 75 overall recruit who went 7th overall in the 2021 draft.
- DE Kayvon Thibodeaux, a 5* and the #2 overall recruit in 2019 who went 5th overall in the 2022 draft.
- S Jevon Holland, a rock solid 4* and top 150 overall recruit who became the 36th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

If you zero in on his bread and butter by looking at Oregon's current OL to see how players he recruited to that program are expected to do this year, you'll see that 2 of their 5 starters are transfers brought in by Lanning. Their LT, Josh Conerly, is a 5* who committed to Oregon months after Lanning first arrived. The other two starters along their OL are:

[BGCOLOR=initial]- C Jackson Powers-Johnson, a former rock solid 4* and top 200 overall recruit signed by Mario & Mirabal, who's one of the top returning guards in the nation. [/BGCOLOR]
- RG Steven Jones, a former 4* and top 250 overall recruit signed by Cristobal, who's also a returning starter.

If Mario has some secret sauce for evaluating lower-ranked players, that would be great for us. But it's also not something he's proven and it certainly isn't why he has the reputation he possesses as a great recruiter.
Their offensive line last year, which was dominant, had two low 3 stars (TJ Bass and Alex Forsyth) and a no star (Ryan Walk).

I would rather take my chances with the Mauigoas of the world, but there is evidence that these guys can evaluate OL.

RT Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu was a juco kid drafted in the 6th round.

Advertisement
on a serious note, measurables now matter(more than ever) at UM. No longer will this program be recruiting guys who are considered long-range development guys, or projects, not have at least a certain size, length and weight to their frames.

At the very least, they will look the part
I agree 10000% with this and we are now seeing this except the one exception:

LOU CRISTOBAL

* Ducks for Cover

Let’s revisit this down the road.
Kid has the body type of an NFL tackle. He will sit two years behind Samson/Francis then will emerge as a potential beast after getting coached up plus two years lifting in kir S/C program. Look at the size of this dude, He's Like a Tommy Kinsler type. Body types and measurements are everything ( pause) and Mario and Mirabal are among the best in identifying these types.

Advertisement
Their offensive line last year, which was dominant, had two low 3 stars (TJ Bass and Alex Forsyth) and a no star (Ryan Walk).

I would rather take my chances with the Mauigoas of the world, but there is evidence that these guys can evaluate OL.
we dunno the end result here yet but the difference in body type that we're recruiting, regardless of stars is evident

3* anez cooper 6'6 350
3* tommy kinsler 6'6 330
3* frankie tinilau 6'5 315
3* juan minaya 6'6 335
3* deryc plazz 6'5 289

Also many Duval County residents moving to St. John’s, or at least sending their kids to St. John’s schools

Look, I know how quick the neighborhoods shift from St. Johns to Duval around there, but I went to HS in Florida in the 1980s, I didn't think it was that easy/permissible to send your kids to a different county.

I guess a lot has changed...

Advertisement
Yeah, I’m DTWD, but moved to St.Johns County because I want my kids going to St.John’s County schools.

Yeah, this is about 10 years ago now, but when I was at NASCAR, the folks from E&Y invited us to come up for the Sawgrass. We drove up from the south and took 210 to Nocatee Parkway and I was just amazed at how much was being built out there.

I think the Winn Dixie family ownership group just sold the last big chunk of their undeveloped land east of 295, so that lower corner of Duval and sliver of St. Johns are going to boom soon.

I understand the praise for Mario and Mirabal's evals at OL in the context of finding players like you mentioned. Someone like Kinsler, for example, was obviously a great get for us last year and he's someone the recruiting services were likely far too low on. Tinalau also has massive upside and that's the type of recruit you'd love to see Mario and Mirabal get the most out of.

I was more speaking to the general comments some have been making about Mario's ability to evaluate 3*'s across the board as a coach without just zeroing in on the OL. His greatest success as a recruiter and coach has overwhelmingly been with top-tier players.

Advertisement
Back