3-Star Offensive Lineman Plazz Commits to Miami Hurricanes' 2024 Recruiting Class

View as article
Advertisement
They were pretty good last 2 years then the head coach took the Oakleaf job (where Shaq played). Jackson was also good when Kevin Sullivan was coach in early 2000’s when they had dudes like Leon Washington. The head coach at Mandarin was OL coach too so he knows what he’s doing. Deryc is better off now at Mandarin for sure then if he’d stayed at Jackson
Have you ever seen Plazz play? What are your thoughts on him?

They were pretty good last 2 years then the head coach took the Oakleaf job (where Shaq played). Jackson was also good when Kevin Sullivan was coach in early 2000’s when they had dudes like Leon Washington. The head coach at Mandarin was OL coach too so he knows what he’s doing. Deryc is better off now at Mandarin for sure then if he’d stayed at Jackson
Yeah I forgot that’s where Coach Sullivan was at before AC opened up.

Advertisement
Was just chatting with @Rellyrell on the Florida HS Football classifications. Florida used to have those "single A up to 7A" divisions, and now it's like this:

---Four size divisions for "Metro".
---Four size divisions for "Suburban".
---One size division for "Rural".

"Metro" counties are:

---Dade-Broward-Palm Beach (SoFla)
---Orange-Seminole (Orlando)
---Hillsborough-Pinellas (Tampa Bay area)
---Duval (Jax)

Plazz just went from a 2M school to a 4M school.

1688751879771.png

Outside of some fantastic 2M schools in SoFla, all of your best football schools in Orlando, Tampa, and Jax are either 3M or 4M schools. So Deryc will definitely get better coaching and competition at Mandarin.

Last edited:
The Jacksonville people can shed light more light, but in speaking with a high school coaching source they said his prior school (Andrew Jackson) didn’t have the same kind of developmental infrastructure as his current school (Mandarin).
This really hits home with me , at Southwest High Miami 1973 we had terrible coaching all they knew was practice drill stuff .
Zero technique ZIPPO , just run the play that’s it.

If it wasn’t for PaPa Nick Chickillo UM HOF and Steve Alvers UM alumni and NFL alum .
I would of just ran around in circles.

These men taught me how to train and dominate at D-1 level in high-school level.

I feel this kid will explode on the scene, he can carry 330 easily of beast keep an eye on this dude 🙌🙌😳.

GOCANES

Never looked at his 247 profile why the fvck this guy rated so low?? I assumed he was at least low 4 star status. Zero fvcks given though he looks like the goods.

Advertisement
Was just chatting with @Rellyrell on the Florida HS Football classifications. Florida used to have those "single A up to 7A" divisions, and now it's like this:

---Four size divisions for "Metro".
---Four size divisions for "Suburban".
---One size division for "Rural".

"Metro" counties are:

---Dade-Broward-Palm Beach (SoFla)
---Orange-Seminole (Orlando)
---Hillsborough-Pinellas (Tampa Bay area)
---Duval (Jax)

Plazz just went from a 2M school to a 4M school.

View attachment 245417
At one point, FL actually went up to 8A (which is what Mandarin was during the state title run in 2019).

At one point, FL actually went up to 8A (which is what Mandarin was during the state title run in 2019).

Wow, I did not know that. Was a new school built to take some of the enrollment off of Mandarin? I know there is MASSSSIVE growth in south Jax right now, I have some family up there.

My fellow Canes brother, I don’t disagree that these recruiting sites are corrupt. Unfortunately it’s what fans have to go by. Plus, there’s a correlation with performance and blue chip ratio whether we want to accept or not.

I’ll go with the higher blue chip ratio…tired of being mediocre for 20 plus seasons now. Give me the proven data points.
Look at the offers, not the stars. Look at Mario’s entire career of developing and sending kids to the league. If you’re going to mope about a kid because a website puts 3 stars in from of their name then knock yourself out. We beat NC State and Penn State for this kid while other programs are taking a strong look at him in a year where Tackles aren’t really available. I am good with this take.

Advertisement
no reason to doubt marios OL evals. welcome to the U (hopefully). being a jax kid scares me bc theyre generally UF through and through

Advertisement
My fellow Canes brother, I don’t disagree that these recruiting sites are corrupt. Unfortunately it’s what fans have to go by. Plus, there’s a correlation with performance and blue chip ratio whether we want to accept or not.

I’ll go with the higher blue chip ratio…tired of being mediocre for 20 plus seasons now. Give me the proven data points.

@No_Fly_Zone looked at SEC linemen, and most All SEC guys were 4 stars or better:

@Maskoff407 then looked at All American linemen across conferences, and a huge number were 3 stars:

So in general, I think it's fair to say there is a lot of error and variance between OL star ratings and outcomes. But they still have some relevance. It's not like Mario doesn't go after 4/5 stars, he's just not afraid to trust his own judgment with 3 stars. Given the error in the broader data, I will 100% put my trust more in Mario than the composite.

The Miami Hurricanes secured their 16th commitment for their 2024 recruiting class on Friday afternoon in the form of Deryc Plazz, a three-star offensive lineman hailing from Andrew Jackson HS in Jacksonville.

Plazz, who is listed at 6-foot-5 and 289 pounds, is expected to play as a tackle at the collegiate level, bringing a combination of size, agility, and smarts that projects him as a nice project for OL coach Alex Mirabal to work with.

Plazz becomes the second offensive lineman to commit to the Miami Hurricanes’ 2024 recruiting class, joining Juan Minaya from New Jersey. The addition of Plazz to the Miami class comes after a recruitment period during which he visited several potential suitors. Alongside Miami, Plazz also made visits to North Carolina State and Penn State, two programs with recent success developing NFL-type linemen. He was actually committed to Penn State for a brief period as well.

According to the 247Sports composite rankings, Plazz is rated as the #79 offensive tackle in the nation and the #1017 player overall.

Welcome to the U big man! Put in the work!!!

Advertisement
Back