3* 2021 LB Eric Gentry Hits the Portal

Might be an unpopular take, but in certain situations, like this Gentry kid, are we ******** over and/or stunting our own kids growth/development (ie: Chase Smith) in this scenario... Chase was our recruit, that most are really high on, and shows promise.. now you basically bump another young dude with similar size in front of chase and potentially send chase to the portal next year... I know "stack chips" "let them battle and best wins out", and I see that too... How close in talent are the two? should we give preference to OUR recruits that chose to be canes from HS, over these NIL assassins??? thoughts?

I think I see where you are coming from, are you implying this could have recruiting implications down the line?

Regardless IMO this is a bad take, you don’t pass up on talent just because a player with a similar skill set already exists on your roster. If people are high on Chase and they display the same skill set/body type wouldn’t you want two of the same player?

At the end of the day Mario doesn’t owe anyone anything especially playing time..that’s some Manny Diaz seniority type thinking there. If Gentry becomes a cane does that make him any less of a cane just because he transferred here..think about all the transfers that have made an impact for us.

You always take talent and stack it, feelings get hurt along the way but when you are trying to build a program that competes for titles you stack talent no matter what.

Advertisement
Might be an unpopular take, but in certain situations, like this Gentry kid, are we ******** over and/or stunting our own kids growth/development (ie: Chase Smith) in this scenario... Chase was our recruit, that most are really high on, and shows promise.. now you basically bump another young dude with similar size in front of chase and potentially send chase to the portal next year... I know "stack chips" "let them battle and best wins out", and I see that too... How close in talent are the two? should we give preference to OUR recruits that chose to be canes from HS, over these NIL assassins??? thoughts?
Here's a unbiased opinion ...production-wise there's no comparison Gentry is a AA ...we like Chase as a HS prospect that still has to prove it on the field ....if Chase turns out to be very good it's a win win situation.....

Advertisement

I don't think this kid affects Chase at all. He might affect other LB's like Huff but not Chase.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What man mean bout stunt growth of other players? Naa man who cant beat out a transfer gotta transfer or provide depth. Mario is not aiming to build a portal team and take this many players. But this is their first season, we have a decent team already. Why not use our resources to fix obvious holes. Playing better early will help recruiting early. Then we can have a LB room where we don't need to bring in transfers. And we can cherry pick who we want to add, maybe 2 or 3 instead of 10-15

I think I see where you are coming from, are you implying this could have recruiting implications down the line?

Regardless IMO this is a bad take, you don’t pass up on talent just because a player with a similar skill set already exists on your roster. If people are high on Chase and they display the same skill set/body type wouldn’t you want two of the same player?

At the end of the day Mario doesn’t owe anyone anything especially playing time..that’s some Manny Diaz seniority type thinking there. If Gentry becomes a cane does that make him any less of a cane just because he transferred here..think about all the transfers that have made an impact for us.

You always take talent and stack it, feelings get hurt along the way but when you are trying to build a program that competes for titles you stack talent no matter what.
This!

Advertisement
Kid is even more needed with the Wes injury
What Wes injury ?
Animated GIF

Advertisement
Back