247 on Mario

Advertisement
Lake nails it with the sentiment that a Cristobal hire would hold UM's admin accountable. The low-rent, chicken**** ways of the past have to be gone. This guy coached under Butch, Schiano and was around a big chunk of Saban's dynasty. Learned on the job at FIU and has seen a well-run program at Oregon. If Miami wants to be big time, they're going to have to answer to a big time coach who is calling the shots—opposed to the frauds and pretenders who fell in line and were mediocre for the past decade plus.

The article is hindsight. Richt at the tail end of his career, burnt out from coaching, with health concerns.
The article is not hindsight, it is a layout of Richt's career and something Mario should aspire to in his career. If Mario has that career, he will be a legend at UM. It's not anti-Mario, it's about people dismissing the career Mark Richt built. Everyone get's older, if you're lucky.

I was stoked. Thought Richt was going to be the one to turn us around.

I didn't like the hire. Right guy, wrong time. Miami needed Richt circa 2006, not 2016.

The fact he had one foot in retirement and riding off into the sunset (after 15 years of the SEC kicking his ***) he was coming south on fumes.

It was a splash hire by name only; too many miles on the odometer when he showed up. Young man's sport; he wasn't every going to recruit in a manner that kept local kids from going to Bama and Georgia.

Advertisement
The article is hindsight. Richt at the tail end of his career, burnt out from coaching, with health concerns.
Correct. Also it's unfair to compare because Richt was in a much more fertile state/region for recruiting and was at a program with much more resources than Oregon. Richt had every single advantage and still couldn't get over the hump.

Mario goes 10-3 and it’s considered a disappointment. I’d like for those standards to be back for Miami.
Considering it took this much effort and fighting to get rid of Díaz, I have my doubts the standards will be much different. The bar has been set low. Díaz still has supporters for Christ sakes.

Advertisement
How many times does it need saying: THERE ARE NO PERFECT CANDIDATES.

Mario is arguably the safest of the bunch, he's an elite recruiter, beat Ohio State this year, and loves the U. No he's not perfect, but there's no-one available who is.
247 comparing him to butch davis and Kirby smart

He’s saying this is even better than that so Mario would be the best hire out of all of them in the last 20 years.

Considering that in the last 20 years we've hired Coker, Shannon, Golden and Manny......thats not exactly a high bar to surpass. Personally, I don't think he's better than a burnt out Richt.

68504A7C-DD84-45F7-8A4F-15C2435B9DE6.jpeg

Considering that in the last 20 years we've hired Coker, Shannon, Golden and Manny......thats not exactly a high bar to surpass. Personally, I don't think he's better than a burnt out Richt.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Advertisement
Truth... folks here acting like questioning Mario as HC means folks want Manny. At the end of the day all of us just want this team to become relevant again. Manny, Butch, Mario, Lane, Stoops, I can give three flips. Just win!!!

Side note: if they open up wallet and pay for LEGIT OC & DC, plus some top assistants and recruiters. You think Manny can't have some success?
No. Because Manny won’t give up his terrible defense. He had money to pay for a new DC, but thought he was his best option.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No. Because Manny won’t give up his terrible defense. He had money to pay for a new DC, but thought he was his best option.
Manny's defense does suck. Aside from TFL and the occasional turnovers. His schemes and philosophy are dog *****. Would be nice to have some studs in the interior lone and some LB's as well.

Yep I was a "snowflake" that did not want Mario, but then I watched last nights game and was very impressed. His team dominated the trenches and was far better coached. I am now sold on him and his 62-60 record. I am sure I am leaving out his impressive record in the playoffs and National Championships, but we all know the PAC is the best conference in the nation, so what he has done speaks for itself not to mention the 10-3 record.

Yep, the "snowflakes" know nothing about football, and we should laser focus on one candidate like we did last time. I mean it was a really successful move.
Best quote of the day. I know the Cuban Mafia is up Mario's but if, only an if, Mario decides to stay with the big O in the mighty PAC 10, then let's get Lane. His price keeps on reaching new heights every day.

Advertisement
Back