247 is going in on blake james and the admin (new article just dropped)

The syfy channel chick?
The fact that the chair of our board came from selling the SyFy channel says it all... we used to have the head of Lennar, Royal Carribean, Greenberg Traurig, City National Bank of Florida and now we have someone that started a TV station about aliens, one of which may now be the president of the school.

Advertisement
This. If they want to pony up cash to lure Mario and make him a competitive offer for his services and agreement to hire a good staff with funds, commit to improving the infrastructure of the program, etc., fine. No issues - probably a safe move. But, does anyone here think this BOT motley crew can run an exhaustive coaching/AD search?
If Mario says he’s not interested there’s so many variables I’d worry about lol. Right down to them just saying f it and keeping manny one more year. All the chips are on Mario and knowing these guys would you expect them to have a backup plan?

Mostly agree, but if it's like most contracts, it's pages and pages of legalized talk. It wouldn't be Blake's job to scrutinize a contract, but a lawyers on retainer for the university.

I would think a competent Athletic Director would be interested in knowing the terms of the multi million dollar apparel contract the school is locked into for 12 years. Doesn't mean he has to go through it line by line, that's an attorneys job. However, a competent leader should always be looking for ways to increase revenue, especially when it comes to the apparel deal, which is the most high profile contract an athletic department signs.

First of all, the absurdly long original contract was signed on his watch. James should be acutely aware the terms of the deal unless he delegated the negotiation and signing of one of the most important contracts the department has (in which case he would have been derelict in his duties as AD) . Second, he should constantly be evaluating the cfb landscape to see what deals other schools are making. If Georgia Tech signs an apparel deal with Under Armour for twice the amount that Adidas is giving Miami, he would look like an even bigger chump than he already is.

Here's a fun fact, UM was the first university in the country to sign an exclusive apparel deal when it signed with Nike back in 1987. Not a coincidence that Miami was pioneering in cfb and winning championships at the same time, that's what happens when you have a competent AD. Now this may also come as a shock to your system - the BOT and school prez didnt really care about football way back then either. However, a visionary AD, Sam Jankovich, found ways to generate revenue to make up for the funds the BOT wouldnt give him (by coming up with the idea of partnering with an apparel company). We don't even need to have a BOT, school prez, and AD all in alignment like Herbie suggested. We just need a top tier AD (like Tom Jurich) and he will be able to work around the gaggle of incompetence that is the BOT.

Just one last point about it taking money to make money. Right now UM looks fugly to every conference in the country. The SEC looks like it is taking over CFB. Sec teams, even Vanderbilt, are going to be getting 70 million dollar payouts each year. That is almost double the ACC payout. When espn or another major network looks at the next set of contracts, what possible reason would they have to pay anywhere near that for the ACC? Even the crown jewel, Clemson looks like a mediocre team, and God help acc football if Dabo decides to leave for a SEC school. If I ran a network and the acc commissioner said he wanted the next TV deal to be something like the SEC has, I might literally die laughing. If UM was competitive for national championships, then maybe the SEC or Big10 would look to poach Miami from the ACC in the next big realignment. Right now, no conference - NOT EVEN THE ACC - has any interest in UM.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Mario says he’s not interested there’s so many variables I’d worry about lol. Right down to them just saying f it and keeping manny one more year. All the chips are on Mario and knowing these guys would you expect them to have a backup plan?
were screwed. they should focus on the AD and find someone who identify competent candidates and interview them. let him make a choice and not just go after one dude bc he played here and hes a Miami guy. zero imagination from the admin. ***** Zo. ***** Miami. get an AD in there who has been an AD and experienced to handle all sports since they all suck. let him interview guys for the coaching job and decide from there. paying Mario elite money isn't gonna end well imo.

The sad part is manny coming back wouldn’t even surprise me. The admin is beyond incompetent. All of this is disappointing but at the same time not surprising.

I would think a competent Athletic Director would be interested in knowing the terms of the multi million dollar apparel contract the school is locked into for 12 years. Doesn't mean he has to go through it line by line, that's an attorneys job. However, a competent leader should always be looking for ways to increase revenue, especially when it comes to the apparel deal, which is the most high profile contract an athletic department signs.

First of all, the absurdly long original contract was signed on his watch. James should be acutely aware the terms of the deal unless he delegated the negotiation and signing of one of the most important contracts the department has (in which case he would have been derelict in his duties as AD) . Second, he should constantly be evaluating the cfb landscape to see what deals other schools are making. If Georgia Tech signs an apparel deal with Under Armour for twice the amount that Adidas is giving Miami, he would look like an even bigger chump than he already is.

Here's a fun fact, UM was the first university in the country to sign an exclusive apparel deal when it signed with Nike back in 1987. Not a coincidence that Miami was pioneering in cfb and winning championships at the same time, that's what happens when you have a competent AD. Now this may also come as a shock to your system - the BOT and school prez didnt really care about football way back then either. However, a visionary AD, Sam Jankovich, found ways to generate revenue to make up for the funds the BOT wouldnt give him (by coming up with the idea of partnering with an apparel company). We don't even need to have a BOT, school prez, and AD all in alignment like Herbie suggested. We just need a top tier AD (like Tom Jurich) and he will be able to work around the gaggle of incompetence that is the BOT.
Wait so the Michigan state game NFT isn’t a good way to generate revenue?

Advertisement
The fact that the chair of our board came from selling the SyFy channel says it all... we used to have the head of Lennar, Royal Carribean, Greenberg Traurig, City National Bank of Florida and now we have someone that started a TV station about aliens, one of which may now be the president of the school.

lol wow.

Laurie Silvers is the Co-Founder of the Syfy Channel; the Co-CEO of Hollywood.com and also a Co-Founder and the majority owner of the global esports organization Misfits Gaming, which owns esports teams with Franchises in League of Legends (in Europe), the Florida Mayhem in the Overwatch League and Florida Mutineers in the Call of Duty League.

She is the majority owner of five FM radio stations in Florida.

Laurie is Chair-Elect of the Board of Trustees of the University of Miami.

Laurie served as Chair of WPBT-Channel 2 from 2014 to 2016 and as Co-Chair of South Florida PBS from 2016 to 2018. It was under Laurie’s leadership that a merger between Miami’s PBS station and Palm Beach County’s PBS Station WXEL was achieved. Laurie continues to serve as a member of the Board of South Florida PBS and is also on the national PBS Foundation Board in Washington, DC.

what have you done with your career that she isn't capable of doing? she just got elected lol. she wasn't in there when Manny was hired as the chair. she didn't hire Blake. you act like she started some local access channel.

lol wow.

Laurie Silvers is the Co-Founder of the Syfy Channel; the Co-CEO of Hollywood.com and also a Co-Founder and the majority owner of the global esports organization Misfits Gaming, which owns esports teams with Franchises in League of Legends (in Europe), the Florida Mayhem in the Overwatch League and Florida Mutineers in the Call of Duty League.

Laurie served as Chair of WPBT-Channel 2 from 2014 to 2016 and as Co-Chair of South Florida PBS from 2016 to 2018. It was under Laurie’s leadership that a merger between Miami’s PBS station and Palm Beach County’s PBS Station WXEL was achieved. Laurie continues to serve as a member of the Board of South Florida PBS and is also on the national PBS Foundation Board in Washington, DC.

what have you done with your career that she isn't capable of doing? she just got elected lol. she wasn't in there when Manny was hired as the chair. she didn't hire Blake. you act like she started some local access channel.
“She admits that she knew little about science fiction when she came up with the idea of starting the SyFy channel. And that’s why she recruited two giants of the genre—Isaac Asimov, one of the greatest science fiction writers of his time, and Gene Roddenberry, the creator of “Star Trek”—to advise her. When it launched, the channel was an unequivocal success. She eventually sold the channel to USA Network. Now, it is owned by NBCUniversal.”

She likes to consult experts

“She admits that she knew little about science fiction when she came up with the idea of starting the SyFy channel. And that’s why she recruited two giants of the genre—Isaac Asimov, one of the greatest science fiction writers of his time, and Gene Roddenberry, the creator of “Star Trek”—to advise her. When it launched, the channel was an unequivocal success. She eventually sold the channel to USA Network. Now, it is owned by NBCUniversal.”

She likes to consult experts
nah but CIS thinks she's dumb and can't do anything right bc she co founded an alien channel (this board man).

lol wow.

what have you done with your career that she isn't capable of doing? she just got elected lol. she wasn't in there when Manny was hired as the chair. she didn't hire Blake.
1) My career vs hers is a straw man argument and irrelevant. I’m not trying to corral 80 of the wealthiest business leaders in Miami.

2) Who blamed her for hiring Manny or Blake? However, have you seen the factions on the board going off on their own to push their own narratives? That is a sign of an absence of leadership. We need a strong chairperson as the head to get people to zip it and come up with a coherent voice and strategy, something she is very clearly failing at. I do blame her for that.

And for the record, Bass was a terrible chair too. Somehow our law school went down the toilet when the head of one of the world’s largest law firms was chair. Only at Miami.

Advertisement
The sad part is manny coming back wouldn’t even surprise me. The admin is beyond incompetent. All of this is disappointing but at the same time not surprising.
Well I'm assuming they don't care about their pockets then bc I'm certain season tix, donations, etc will be at an all time low if we keep that mamerto as our HC. Like many on here, I give up caring about his program if no drastic changes are made. The media has literally and figuratively mocked, laughed, and brought to light how negligent and uncaring the admin/BOT are. You would think pride and being ridiculed may cause you to rethink things but seems like they're cool with status quo. Starts from the ground up, blow it up!

you sound like a dude who has never lived in Miami and experienced a local election. it is literally how the entire region is run. we are the banana republic for a reason
@Rellyrell - go follow & watch the video Billy Corbin has on Instagram to catch up with what goes on here in Miami.

As an example, the City Commissioner vote to fire a newly appointed police chief that came from Houston 6 months ago for exposing their corruption that has led to an FBI investigation.

This is where the Diaz family comes from. But I digress.

Advertisement
Ya’ll are killing me with this sneaker stuff on this thread. I love Jordan’s. I own at least 20 pairs that I rotate including my Orange & White mid Jordan 11s that I wear on game days. But ya’ll need to create a shoe thread, please!!!

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Physician, heal thyself.

Sick Kicks with PIPO sounds good.

1) My career vs hers is a straw man argument and irrelevant. I’m not trying to corral 80 of the wealthiest business leaders in Miami.

2) Who blamed her for hiring Manny or Blake? However, have you seen the factions on the board going off on their own to push their own narratives? That is a sign of an absence of leadership. We need a strong chairperson as the head to get people to zip it and come up with a coherent voice and strategy, something she is very clearly failing at. I do blame her for that.

And for the record, Bass was a terrible chair too. Somehow our law school went down the toilet when the head of one of the world’s largest law firms was chair. Only at Miami.
she was literally just elected this year and what date she was elected, we don't even know. also, all we hear is fake *** rumors from a message board. Manny is getting fired, yet hes still here.

also when wont you realize the SCHOOL doesn't give a flying **** about whether the team wins lol. they never did. they only care a tiny bit now bc espn called them out. otherwise, don't be shocked if get another year of Manny

the law school has never really been amazing. the school puts the law school basically third in their tiers. its med school undergrad first.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back