3. USC - 2004
4. Clemson - 2018
5. Bama - 2020
6. Texas - 2005
7. Bama - 2012
8. FSU- 2013
9. Tennessee -1998
10. FSU - 1999

Only undefeated champs in my top 10. I think 1-3 should be in everybody's top 3 and #1 should be no brainer. 4-10 is very debatable. 2016 Clemson, 2017 Bama, and 2021 Georgia were all 1 loss teams that were incredible in my opinion and probably better than 2000 Oklahoma and 2010 Auburn who were undefeated.

idk

Those Miami teams never played a QB like Joe Burrow.
And Burrow never played against a defensive backfield that included Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, P-Buch, Antrel Rolle and Sean Taylor. All 1st round picks.
we had future hall of famers like Wilfork, Rolle and ST not starting. We had 1st round picks on Dline; McDougal, Wilfork and Joseph, 1st round picks at LB in Vilma and Williams, and I’ve already addressed the backfield. We had more talent on defense than most NFL teams. If all of UM’s 2001 defense had been drafted by the same team they would have been a great defense by their 2nd season.

difference is the defense when comparing vs lsu

it's not about if we could stop lsu, it's about could lsu stop us.. and that's not happening

forget dorsey and andre, shockey.. portis is going nuts on that lsu defense.

Advertisement
1) Recency bias will always be a key component in these types of lists.

2) Having Larry Coker as head coach is always going to hurt. The Canes should have been winning games 60-13, instead they were winning 30-13. Coker shut down the offense far too often in 2001. He did it in the opener at Penn State and in the BCS title game against Nebraska. We should have hung 70 on Nebraska in that game.
If we’re taking off points for coaching then should LSU be #1? It’s a similar situation.

Huh?????? Have you lost your ******* mind?

Dorsey
Portis
Willis
Gore
Andre johnson
Sands
Beard
Shockey
Winslow
I love Dorsey but he’s not on the same planet as Burrow.
Burrows last 3 games in college were the SECCG vs UGA, Playoff vs OU and Final vs Clemson 1305 yds 16 TDs and 0 ints. Also had 120 rushing and 2 tds to boot. Threw for 400 and 3TDs 0 INTs vs Bama that year too. Dude is a killer

2001 team had Hall of Fame level depth, no others can say that, starters yes, backups no...

And we all know 26 gets in the Hall if he doesnt die early....

I love Dorsey but he’s not on the same planet as Burrow.
Burrows last 3 games in college were the SECCG vs UGA, Playoff vs OU and Final vs Clemson 1305 yds 16 TDs and 0 ints. Also had 120 rushing and 2 tds to boot. Threw for 400 and 3TDs 0 INTs vs Bama that year too. Dude is a killer
In college dorsey was better than burrow. After that you are 100% correct.

Dorsey threw for 16 more tds and 1000 more yards. He also had 2 lossesfir his entire career and 1 wasnt really a loss

Burrow was good his last year. But he was really ******* good.

Advertisement
Yeah, the '01 Canes scoring 43.6 ppg vs p5 was a nothing compared to LSU's 47.
Do you realize how passer friendly the game is now compared to 01? The game has drastically changed in 20 years. The 01 team couldn't even play in todays landscape.

Burrows never saw a reed, wilfork, vilma. Especially by 01 rules.

And Burrow never played against a defensive backfield that included Ed Reed, Mike Rumph, P-Buch, Antrel Rolle and Sean Taylor. All 1st round picks.
we had future hall of famers like Wilfork, Rolle and ST not starting. We had 1st round picks on Dline; McDougal, Wilfork and Joseph, 1st round picks at LB in Vilma and Williams, and I’ve already addressed the backfield. We had more talent on defense than most NFL teams. If all of UM’s 2001 defense had been drafted by the same team they would have been a great defense by their 2nd season.
I mean, we see him, Chase, and JJettas torching NFL players literally every Sunday.

I think the inclusion of 2020 Alabama over that Miami team is pretty absurd...but that LSU team was just different. Most dominant team the country has seen since those Miami teams. I think the factor a lot of you don't want to admit is the discrepancy of talent at the QB position in this hypothetical discourse. Dorsey's cool and all, but there are levels and Joe Burrow had the greatest season in college football history, was a Pro Bowler almost immediately in the NFL, and is one of the elite young QBs in the game that took his team to a Super Bowl in only his second year. And his weapons are future Hall of Famers. This isn't Larry Fitzgerald getting bracket coverage all game with Rod Rutherford tossing him the ball.

Too much offense. It was never stopped.

The coaching difference, too.

Advertisement
People who don’t think LSU would give the 2001 Canes a game are crazy. 2001 is the best team but it’s not a huge gap at all to that LSU squad. They were unbelievable.

How are so many of our fans not factoring in the rules differences in todays game vs 2001.

We all agree that LSU team is great.

They play in a much more offensive friendly era with rules that make it tougher on defenses. If that LSU team plays by 01 rules they cant touch Miami.

Burrows never faced a ed reed or a defense like that 01 team had.

In college dorsey was better than burrow. After that you are 100% correct.

Dorsey threw for 16 more tds and 1000 more yards. He also had 2 lossesfir his entire career and 1 wasnt really a loss

Burrow was good his last year. But he was really ******* good.
Dorsey had a better career but we’re talking about that 1 year.
Burrow might have had the best single season from any college qb ever. Their schedule that year was brutal too. 7 top 10 teams. They finished out against the defending champs too.

Advertisement
Do you realize how passer friendly the game is now compared to 01? The game has drastically changed in 20 years. The 01 team couldn't even play in todays landscape.

Burrows never saw a reed, wilfork, vilma. Especially by 01 rules.
Yes, agree, and I was saying they were only a FG per game better against p5.
Defense comparison? Not even close.

Dorsey had a better career but we’re talking about that 1 year.
Burrow might have had the best single season from any college qb ever. Their schedule that year was brutal too. 7 top 10 teams. They finished out against the defending champs too.
Dont get me wrong that lsu team was special. Explosive. Burrows was unreal that season.

Could lsu stop miamis running game?

Its hard to truly judge because how much the game has changed.

I mean, we see him, Chase, and JJettas torching NFL players literally every Sunday.

I think the inclusion of 2020 Alabama over that Miami team is pretty absurd...but that LSU team was just different. Most dominant team the country has seen since those Miami teams. I think the factor a lot of you don't want to admit is the discrepancy of talent at the QB position in this hypothetical discourse. Dorsey's cool and all, but there are levels and Joe Burrow had the greatest season in college football history, was a Pro Bowler almost immediately in the NFL, and is one of the elite young QBs in the game that took his team to a Super Bowl in only his second year. And his weapons are future Hall of Famers. This isn't Larry Fitzgerald getting bracket coverage all game with Rod Rutherford tossing him the ball.

Too much offense. It was never stopped.

The coaching difference, too.
LSU was great and Burrow was magical that season. No question that Burrow has a bid advantage over Dorsey, but I don’t tihnk it outweighs the advantages UM had at so many other positions. In my admittedly biased opinion I think UM wins 7-8 times out of 10.

Advertisement
Back