'24 Offense

It did, and going under center puts a lot of added pressure on the defense, especially with play action pass and allowing the running back to get a running start to pick up short yardage downs. Pro style if done, right with the correct quarterback is devastating.
So is a spread offense that focuses on wide splits.

Advertisement
The part being lost is Elijah Lofton. He’s a hybrid FB, TE and H-back. Lining him up at fb gives you options to flex him out on a mike in man, run in short yardage or get a mismatch out of the backfield on a wheel route or angles. He’s a Swiss Army knife like Quadrine Hill but bigger. You can still be creative from basic sets like I-Formation.
Quadtrine was always my comp for Lofton. I-formation & 12 personnel. Expect him to be used a lot. Kid is a ball player.

Advertisement
Under center will be great. Idk why anyone would think exclusively shotgun is better or something. When we go “tough n fiscal” there is no question being in shotgun is objectively worse imo.
I’ve never liked play action out of shotgun much
Plus the angles for a running back running and leverages points are significantly better under center as well.
Play action works like a dream if you have good hands.
I'm a firm believer of using both and being able to run everything in shotgun and under.

What's yall obsession with using the TE's?

I would understand if they were talented, but they're not. That's why we didn't use them. They gave us nothing.

Even when they actually caught the ball, they were dropped immediately.

If Lofton isn't used then I'll have some concerns.

Because you can’t run a condensed set offense without them stretching the field for you.

The easiest solution would be to stop playing them and spread the field with 4 WRs, but Mario isn’t going to do that.

So within the offense that Mario is going to run, you can’t have a piano on the field at one of the skill positions.

The over reaction at running under center a few times a game is hilarious. When we ran it against BC nobody was griping lol. I’d much rather line up in I formation than a spread formation or shotgun in short yardage. Shot gun in short yardage and goal line is idiotic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The over reaction at running under center a few times a game is hilarious. When we ran it against BC nobody was griping lol. I’d much rather line up in I formation than a spread formation or shotgun in short yardage. Shot gun in short yardage and goal like is idiotic.

So the issue with the Rutgers 4th down wasn’t condensing the box, but just not being under center when we condensed it?

The idiotic thing on basically any down, but short yardage, is bringing most of the team within arm’s length of the center.

Where the QB lined up in that situation was irrelevant.

The concern many of us have, after watching our 1990s style offense last year, is people saying, “we’re going to get even more ‘90s with it sometimes.”

Is there any indication the coaches looked at the WSU film with Ward and thought, “they do a really good job of spreading the defense out and making it easy on him. We should work more of that into the offense”?

Advertisement
What's yall obsession with using the TE's?

I would understand if they were talented, but they're not. That's why we didn't use them. They gave us nothing.

Even when they actually caught the ball, they were dropped immediately.

If Lofton isn't used then I'll have some concerns.
Arroyo and Williams rankings say hi and arroyo-injured and Williams - freshman also say hi! You're jumping the gun on saying there not talented, not productive and I'm with you!!

My guy, those were a handful of plays in short-yardage.

It should stay that way. Let's not defend bull**** here.

Going back to bro style is stupid.
Tweaking isn't going full bro ball! Fit system to personnel! Gattis is an example of trying to make personnel fit system!

Advertisement
So the issue with the Rutgers 4th down wasn’t condensing the box, but just not being under center when we condensed it?
Thats the point. How well you run the football depends on the amount of defensive personnel in the box.

I've seen this team run beautiful counter trey to start last season and then we scratched it for absolutely no ******* reason. Now, we go back under center.

Think of it what you want, it's 2024, the data is about as blatant as you can get.

Tweaking isn't going full bro ball! Fit system to personnel! Gattis is an example of trying to make personnel fit system!

There’s no evidence we have a TE on the roster that actually belongs on the field if going strictly from a “personnel” perspective.

Our QB is coming from a wide open, spread the field gunslinger offense.

We have one of the better WR units in the conference.

And the RB room now includes two guys that some people think should move to CB because of their size and slamming them in between their tackles just isn’t their game, and if they are going to be a RB, need to be put on space.

What’s the personnel is dictating offense argument that lends one to believe we should be running with a lot of condensed sets and I-formation sets?

Advertisement
Back