'24 Offense

Advertisement
If you remember we used under center more at years end. More than the last two years combined. Ward has been in shotgun his entire career so it would also help with prepping for the league. Getting work with his drop backs, footwork and taking a snap under center. Btw i’m talking a handful of plays , we aren’t switching to 84 Lavelle Edward’s pro style lol.
I agree, It is not a bad thing if they will use also a little creativity now and then

F it, I’ll just say it:

I dunno what to expect, nor will I set a high or low expectation. Do I have optimism? Absolutely; I think Cam Ward is a great college QB (what he does or how he fares at the next level is no never mind to me).

But my optimism is met w/ some caution, why? TVD.

TVD played in Lashlee’s spread offense, & was, not just the ACC O-Rookie of the Year, but the ACC Rookie of the year. The philosophy changed, & allegedly we were supposed to be running a “power spread O” during Gattis’ tenure. We know that failed miserably. Dawson comes in, & it looked like we began to run a system that TVD was familiar w/, & then it went conservative again.

OK, blame TVD for being a **** poor QB right? Well, Ward has only played in the purist form of an Air Raid offense. He was in that system at Incarnate Word, & then WAZZOU. So the ? is, will this be the same O or will he be forced to learn a new concept he’s unfamiliar w/? That’s the ?

Also, WASU leading TE had 21 receptions on the season, more than our entire TE room combined in 2023, so yeah I’m optimistic, but there’s a hint of weariness, too.
The only thing I will comment on TVD is I dont think people realized how hurt he was. Yes it is still a Mario problem for not having depth and deciding a 60-70% TVD is better than 100% JB or Emory. But I think it was the UNC game? Or maybe UVA where TVD had Restrepo on a wheel route, a throw we have all seen him make 1,000 times and he shotput it and skipped it. I think the rib, leg, hand combined screwed with his mechanics, they then had to nix a few plays because a largely immobile QB was even more limited and he clearly had lost some respect of teammates and started to check out once things went bad which then only made them worse.

Im sorry but no way Mario saw an exciting offense that had the country buzzing after A&M and forced the new playcalling. I do think the coaches failed in the spot they put TVD in, not having back-ups, and not having good enough plays when he was limited and thats why it reverted to bro ball so the blame is shared but I think the catalyst was TVD's injuries, but for that and if he keeps playing at a halfway decent level a lot of the other issues IMO never arise.

Ward mentioned liking their presentation on the offensive system they would use him in. Maybe things like occasionally putting him under center and working on things he will be doing in the NFL was part of what helped get Ward to us in the first place.

I am with Cribby, more into the scheme than actual formations

Advertisement
It did, and going under center puts a lot of added pressure on the defense, especially with play action pass and allowing the running back to get a running start to pick up short yardage downs. Pro style if done, right with the correct quarterback is devastating.

It also helps in goal to go situations, ie the Louisville game. We were on the 1 or 2 yard line, and we have the QB & the RB 5-7 yards away in the GD shotgun.

Advertisement
NCST was running a lot of drop 8 and we struggled with it. Which surprises me because Guidry was running a lot of drop 8 in the Spring Game.
And Mario knew fans and media would destroy him if the O looked bad so they didn’t blow plays dead like in 22.

Let Van Dyke throw after 5-6 seconds and miracles happen, someone got open.

That spring game was clearly an illusion that’d make Tony Wonder blush.

Advertisement
He knows this and it’ll help him prepare for the NFL. I’m not saying it’ll be pro style all game but more usage of it than the past couple years. That would allow us to have a more down hill run game. I’d personally like to see more I formation a few times a game. We used some under center stuff at the end of the year and it was successful. There’s nothing wrong with being hybrid , I just care more about creativity than formations. There was very little deception and use of eye candy last year.
Under center>>>>>>>>>>>pistol

If u gonna turn your back to the defense at least u can really sell it from under center

Under center is actually not a bad thing because a major problem last year was our passing and run game were not married together at all. It was so predictable to know what’s coming

More under center, more motion,more shift..just create more advantages pre snap instead of just lining up in 2x1 11 personnel for like 70% of the plays lol

Idc about if we are pro style,air raid,spread, run and shoot who cares, just have a cohesive, efficient and creative offense and score some points and everybody will be happy lol

Under center>>>>>>>>>>>pistol

If u gonna turn your back to the defense at least u can really sell it from under center

Under center is actually not a bad thing because a major problem last year was our passing and run game were not married together at all. It was so predictable to know what’s coming

More under center, more motion,more shift..just create more advantages pre snap instead of just lining up in 2x1 11 personnel for like 70% of the plays lol

Idc about if we are pro style,air raid,spread, run and shoot who cares, just have a cohesive, efficient and creative offense and score some points and everybody will be happy lol
The part being lost is Elijah Lofton. He’s a hybrid FB, TE and H-back. Lining him up at fb gives you options to flex him out on a mike in man, run in short yardage or get a mismatch out of the backfield on a wheel route or angles. He’s a Swiss Army knife like Quadrine Hill but bigger. You can still be creative from basic sets like I-Formation.

The part being lost is Elijah Lofton. He’s a hybrid FB, TE and H-back. Lining him up at fb gives you options to flex him out on a mike in man, run in short yardage or get a mismatch out of the backfield on a wheel route or angles. He’s a Swiss Army knife like Quadrine Hill but bigger. You can still be creative from basic sets like I-Formation.
Exactly there’s alot of stuff u can do, even with different layers in your personnel packages

Only thing there is to worry about is its not really what dawson does so we gotta hope everyone is on the same page. Dont want this leading to having too many voices, we have seen how much that can derail a unit

I said during the season, if mario wants a pro style or whatever just go get the best available person that fits that u can find really good ones that fit that. Just fully go into one direction, dont try to tiptoe on what u want because then u get what we have gotten these last two years

Advertisement
Learned not to expect anything from canes, but what i WANT to see is….
- decent tempo
- build on Oline improvements
- spread the ball around so much the D cant figure out who to concentrate on
- get TE back to a major part of our dna
- use our SPEED guys in creative ways and or just use them period

Advertisement
Back