'22 MLB Draft Discussion

Advertisement
Advertisement
You surprised Walters still available? MLB want to see more secondary pitch history perhaps, before taking the risk.
Yeah, I thought he’d be gone by now. That seems the most likely reason.

Advertisement
Imagine if we had a coaching staff that could’ve developed Rosario and McFarlane.
McMahon is the only top end guy we’ve gotten that really developed. Slade is a perpetual what if, but the rest (Gates also has the TJ factor) never really lived up to their potential. Hopefully, Rosario surprises to the upside this year.

I love the Canes through and through. But Walters and Palm have a lot of work to do if they want to progress. Palm is likely a situational lefty and Walters better get a second pitch. His 94-97 gets by most college hitters...once the book is out on him in the minors he will turn into a launch pad. Both will jump from low to high A pretty quick. 17-18 year olds wont handle them at all. High A you'll start to see a snap shot of their weaknesses. I'd love Palm to firm everything up. Take his velo up 2-3 and in turn his secondary stuff will bite more. Kind of like a tick down from Hjerpe from Oregon State

I said back during regional McFarlane and Gallo check off every box. Velo, Stuff, and frame to get bigger. Just have to put it together more frequently.

I am praying Mule wasnt to be a guy who tries being a two way because it sounds like the Cubs want him on the bump only and thats only been a "hobby" for him. His age...on the road in the minors...a lot can go wrong; even for the most mature kids. 3 years of college could turn him into a 1st rounder, two way guys, and allow him to mature a bit. Now can we nurture that development...thats the question.

McMahon is the only top end guy we’ve gotten that really developed. Slade is a perpetual what if, but the rest (Gates also has the TJ factor) never really lived up to their potential. Hopefully, Rosario surprises to the upside this year.
Agree w you both - throw in Mederos and Jake Smith and you have to wonder what the problem is.

Advertisement
Just in the last 3 years we’ve had rosters littered with guys that 98% of the country would’ve loved to have. Only to waste them. There’s only one consistent variable at play here.

Advertisement
If Walters drops much further, he should come back and make the transition like Palm did to a solid starter. He projects better as a starter than Palm to begin with IMO.

Advertisement
Back