21 Skunk

Idgaf about star ratings or who’s returning..our unit last year was the worst I’ve seen at Miami since 2007..UFs was undoubtedly better coming off last season. So going into the matchup UF has the edge..we might be starting Zion Nelson at LT. He broke camp atop the chart as a true fresh..think about that..we’ll see if our new offensive coaches can get it turned around but until then UF has the edge
Lol u don't give a f*ck about who's returning? That's has to be the funniest thing I've read all day. So in your logic, they could return no one and you'd still give them the edge, right? Let's ignore the fact that 80% of their line is gone. Donaldson having more experience than their whole oline combined doesn't matter. The fact that they're going against the better of the two dline is irrelevant too. Lmao u saying it doesn't matter who is returning is simply comical.

Advertisement
We will be fine running the ball. The playaction will make teams play honest and all our guys need is a crease. Running reasonably well was the only thing that kept us above .500 and not be a cataclysmic disaster of a season.

My only concern is the tackles in pass protection. Our de’s are some of the best in the business. They will make a lot of tackles look bad. So there was some overreaction in spring.

Still, we have to eliminate whiffs and prevent instant pressure. If we can be average on the outside in pass protection, we will have a big year.
The run blocking has been way worse than the pass protection.

I'm usually the pessimistic fan but even I'm not conceding defeat. I do think this game won't be as easy as most believe with us bringing in a new staff and implementing a new offense while UF is going into their second year under Mullen while also ending their season on a high averaging 45 points in their last 4 games. My only concerns are our offense and how good of a HC Manny is. New offenses usually take a while to implement--who's the QB, how long will it take for the offense to get rolling or at least score in this game, and can Butch coach up these boys in time?

Miss St had the #1 defense in the country, featuring three 1st rounders, and they still lost.

48 days can't come soon enough!

Honestly I’m not scared of them. The main thing I worry about is it being the first game and us breaking in a new offense/QB. Our defense should be fine assuming it can stop the run and force Franks to throw but if our defense is on the field all game due to our offense not sustaining drives, then things could go downhill. I don’t necessarily think they’re a good team. Probably middle of the pack with the SEC but it just sucks it’s the first game of season. On the flip side that could be a good thing since they haven’t seen the offense.

The run blocking has been way worse than the pass protection.

I agree with this to an extent.

The pass protection last year was better than posters here give it credit for.

The run blocking was inconsistent, especially in short yardage. There was a lot of feast or famine here.

The complete and utter lack of ANY passing game went a long way to make things look worse than they were, just like poor qb play made people think pass protection was worse than it was.

We are not Georgia Tech’s option. With almost no threat to hurt a defense throwing, the run would be attacked and stuffed. Add in struggles at LG and a completely predictable play sequence, it was tough sledding.

Left guard play will be better. The way Enos calls games will keep teams from teeing off on us like 2018. Those two things alone will make running much easier and I haven’t even factored in improved qb play.

Get the tackles settled and we can be an above average offense.

I think the offense gets 24-28 against the turds. Nothing amazing. I think we will get a non offensive score. First half will be slow more than likely. Will pick up momentum in the second half.

Advertisement
Well, D Rev, gonna be hard to top this one. This is the best thread in a while.

Well, D Rev, gonna be hard to top this one. This is the best thread in a while.
Some people needed to be reminded that we are still the Canes. Confidence and arrogance is a part of our fanbases identity. I grew up on the mediocre Shannon teams and I'm just as ****y now about the team as I was then. Plus I don't like that low self-esteem stuff around me. I'm sure our team isn't going to lack confidence when we come out week zero either.

But as far as people liking this thread... y'all will go back to hating me tomorrow when I start a Tate thread.

Some people needed to be reminded that we are still the Canes. Confidence and arrogance is a part of our fanbases identity. I grew up on the mediocre Shannon teams and I'm just as ****y now about the team as I was then. Plus I don't like that low self-esteem stuff around me. I'm sure our team isn't going to lack confidence when we come out week zero either.

But as far as people liking this thread... y'all will go back to hating me tomorrow when I start a Tate thread.
Don't start no more **** tate threads. Fall camp starts at the end of the month. It will get settled then.

Advertisement
Lol u don't give a f*ck about who's returning? That's has to be the funniest thing I've read all day. So in your logic, they could return no one and you'd still give them the edge, right? Let's ignore the fact that 80% of their line is gone. Donaldson having more experience than their whole oline combined doesn't matter. The fact that they're going against the better of the two dline is irrelevant too. Lmao u saying it doesn't matter who is returning is simply comical.
Yes. Our oline was that bad. If you have ****, then return the same ****, you’d be a ****head to except gold..that’s why it’s important for coach Berry and Enos to get it turned around

This defense is going to be sick. Baker may be an even more aggressive play caller than Manny. He throws so many looks at the QB, u never really know where the Blitz is coming from. There won't be a defense in CFB like ours with the athletes we have now and the scheme to fit. Think about a scrub OT having to block a Greg Rousseau standing up coming off the edge. Franks will throw multiple picks. It's really inevitable.

(don't watch the ball. Watch the defense)

Advertisement

This defense is going to be sick. Baker may be an even more aggressive play caller than Manny. He throws so many looks at the QB, u never really know where the Blitz is coming from. There won't be a defense in CFB like ours with the athletes we have now and the scheme to fit. Think about a scrub OT having to block a Greg Rousseau standing up coming off the edge. Franks will throw multiple picks. It's really inevitable.

(don't watch the ball. Watch the defense)

Speed and violence!!

Baker said that in an interview, right? Fits the description of the defense perfectly.

By seasons end our defense will be best we've had under Manny. Definitely the most athletic from day one.
I'm excited man, if Enos is close to what we think, we're in for a big year. The last 17 years have tought me to temper expectations but it just feels different now.

Advertisement
Predicting the first game of the year is always tough. You can really only make assumptions based on what you already know and Miami's offense right now is a total question mark. They could end up being great or they could repeat last year's performance. (my bet is somewhere in the middle)

So here's what we know:
Florida is running the exact same scheme they ran last year and Mullen has ran over the last decade plus. They're not breaking out anything new. They're returning a lot of the same skill talent but they lost their entire line aside from a returning mediocre center.

Miami is running what they did last year with a 4-2-5 base that puts a premium on creating havoc. Negative plays and turnovers fuel the team and Miami gets them in bunches. The secondary is breaking in a bunch of guys who have little experience but aren't short on talent, the front seven is loaded with a combination of seasoned vets and highly touted youngsters.

While Florida may have the perceived advantage of their receivers against our young DBs, Miami has a large advantage of their front seven vs Florida's O-line and TE. It will all come down to Felipe Franks' ability to throw downfield. Miami will bring the pressure and will overload to stop the run. If you're in the camp that believes Franks will be able to avoid the heat and consistently attack Miami's DBs, you should probably sign up for gheytorbait.com. Rev has made a good point about which opponents had the most success against Franks/Mullet and the teams who applied the most pressure had the most success.

I am not "Miami in a blowout" confident but I do like our chances. The only way I see Florida winning would be for the offense to come out and lay a Mark Richt sized egg and allow the defense to eventually get worn down in the second half. If the offense is semi functional, it will keep the D fresh and Miami wins a low scoring game. 24-17 'Canes.

No rational reason for optimism or pessimism. Rivalry games always difficult to handicap. We will find out on August 24 if we are the tnm.

This is EXACTLY the type of team our defense feasts on.

When we cover the slot and te, the only teams that give us trouble are true, downhill run games with mean offensive lines.

Running and throwing laterally on us is disaster for opposing offenses.

Use the safety blitz as the secret weapon and not the main attack. UFag ain’t built to hurt us.

Let the front four and lbs tee off on Franks and it will be the longest day of his life.

Finley will get a pick 6. We may return a fumble, too.

JT will house a kick.

As long as we protect the football, the offense will be decent. If Enos makes it easy on the qbs, we might be good. We can move the ball on these guys with the simple stuff.

We will run for over 150.

The only thing hat will keep the turds in it is a to have two or more turnovers than they do.

Miami 34-13

We roll.

We certainly will need to come out guns ablaze and try to get a 10-14pt lead. That will build confidence in the coaching staff that their game plan is working, it will give confidence to the team, and it will play right into our hands defensively. I can’t wait to shut their inbred mouths come the first half, and watch them head for the exits come the fourth quarter.

Advertisement
Back