2024 Transfer Portal

It’s not really a fair comparison that I am making, but in high school, Matt was a very willing shooter. Certainly not someone who hesitated shooting 15-18 foot jumps hots like last year. A lot changes from high school to college but Ham has killed his confidence to shoot.
Read Matt’s own words about why he chose UM. Matt cited playing against Miller for 2 years and noticing how much Miller improved and the confidence with which Miller played.

In high school on a very good state champ team, Matt Cleveland was the star. He was the ultimate difference maker.
Good background from someone who clearly knows Georgia high school hoops. Some random thoughts:

- A coach who believes in you helps and L lets his players have pretty free rein out on the court, doesn't have a quick hook all the time, not a "yeller," etc.

- Ultimately, though, if Matt has any residual confidence issues, he'll be the one who has to overcome them. Miller's and Wooga's confidence surely grew as they enjoyed success.

- Hamilton would seem to have had a lot of confidence in Cleveland. He started him in 30 games and Matt played almost 34 minutes a game (second only to Green).

- Not many assists or turnovers; took on average 12 shots a game (2 of them 3 pt attempts).

- Making that game winner against us was pure luck. He just heaved that shot up in the last seconds.

Advertisement
Good background from someone who clearly knows Georgia high school hoops. Some random thoughts:

- A coach who believes in you helps and L lets his players have pretty free rein out on the court, doesn't have a quick hook all the time, not a "yeller," etc.

- Ultimately, though, if Matt has any residual confidence issues, he'll be the one who has to overcome them. Miller's and Wooga's confidence surely grew as they enjoyed success.

- Hamilton would seem to have had a lot of confidence in Cleveland. He started him in 30 games and Matt played almost 34 minutes a game (second only to Green).

- Not many assists or turnovers; took on average 12 shots a game (2 of them 3 pt attempts).

- Making that game winner against us was pure luck. He just heaved that shot up in the last seconds.
Agree with you wholeheartedly. I just remember yelling at the TV for Matt to shoot (not against UM) and calling my son and complaining that Matt is playing with no confidence, or so it seemed to me. But I’ve been watching him play since he was 10 years old so I was watching the body language more than reading the stats. But to then read his quote wherein he notes seeing how much confidence Miller played with, and improved, over the past 2 seasons drove home to me and my son that what we thought we were observing was in fact accurate.

I think the entire FSU team played last season as though they had no confidence, not just Matt. Something went really off the rails for them last season. Some here have noted the loss of some key asst coaches as a possibility, which it may be from an X and O standpoint, but Ham lost the team And we will probably never know why. But you better believe if I run into Matt in Atlanta I will ask him.

On the flip side Coach L seems to get kids to believe in themselves and we can see the annual growth. Miller develops his right hand and can’t be overplayed anymore. Wooga develops a 1 dribble pull up jump shot. I can’t want to see how Pack and Omier improve. And I sincerely believe/hope L will work some magic with Matt and get him to understand that on UM, when a player is open, he is expected to shoot.

Kanas big dude who went to Dr Phillips in Orlando entered portal, any way Miami has interest? 3 years left

Advertisement
Any news from the portal on the basketball side? I know they'll be adding at least 1 more guy, if not 2. Lubin supposedly is going to Vandy. I wonder if Aire withdraws from the portal and comes back? We really making a run for Grant Nelson lol?

Assuming this could be us getting Lubin? What other ACC players have looked to transfer in conf?

FSU's big guy is favored to go to Cuse. There could be others. There have already been at least 6 or 7 (Cleveland, Girrard, Cormac Ryan, Danilo, NC St and Clemson swapped players, etc.)

That same account, Trilly Donovan, had previously said Vandy was leading for Lubin (although obviously that can still change).

FSU's big guy is favored to go to Cuse. There could be others. There have already been at least 6 or 7 (Cleveland, Girrard, Cormac Ryan, Danilo, NC St and Clemson swapped players, etc.)

That same account, Trilly Donovan, had previously said Vandy was leading for Lubin (although obviously that can still change).
Trilly is pretty current and as reliable as any predictor.

Advertisement
Lubin originally chose from a pool that included VT. They also reached out when he entered the portal.

Ofc, he visited here. Plus the picture shows Cleveland. Trilly is well known for his clever hints.

That being said, the lineup becomes deeper but also cuts down on PT for some. If Omier somehow doesn’t return, Lubin starts at the 5.

Lubin originally chose from a pool that included VT. They also reached out when he entered the portal.

Ofc, he visited here. Plus the picture shows Cleveland. Trilly is well known for his clever hints.

That being said, the lineup becomes deeper but also cuts down on PT for some. If Omier somehow doesn’t return, Lubin starts at the 5.
Iron sharpens iron. PT is earned. This kid makes us better.

If George is considered a depth piece, Lubin could still start.

Pack/Joseph
Wooga/George
Cleveland/Watson
Lubin/Casey
Omier/Nwoko

Advertisement
Lubin seems to have a lot of potential. I like the fact Brey subbed him in (replacing Laszewski, I'd guess) for defense down the stretch in tight games. We can use defenders with long wingspans. .

Offensively, at this point, he's a slasher, looking to attack the basket. Has a midrange shot. That's a positive these days as even "bigs" all wanna hang around the arc and shoot threes.

He battled nagging injuries last season so hope those are behind him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back