2024 Transfer Portal

And summer workouts will start in another 3 or so

The season ending 3 weeks ago has nothing to do with what’s been reported target wise in the media. Like I said in my original post we don’t know how the true board looks like just going off of the reported targets.

The first report we got about Kyshawn George was that he committed.

Advertisement
Michelle Kaufman said that we were.
yeah, many said that all week, that we were in, one I sorta follow:
1682112683875.png

Jordan Miller was not one of the "top kids", committed late, and is one of the all-time great Canes. This isn't football. You don't need a roster full of blue chip guys. You need some blue chip guys, but experience and fit go a long ways in college basketball.

Gotta trust the coaching staff on this.
I don't doubt the coaches ability to find talent, I was just hoping that the momentum we created by getting to the final 4 would show itself in recruiting. Up to this point it has not.

I have no doubt that we will end up with someone(s) at some point.

Announcement expected this evening (8PM) for Hakim, we were in (his) Final 4 with Gonzaga, who just got Ike, so maybe that helps. But yeah, crystal balls seem to be dropping for Nova, fingers still crossed.

I don't doubt the coaches ability to find talent, I was just hoping that the momentum we created by getting to the final 4 would show itself in recruiting. Up to this point it has not.

I also don't think there are obvious good fits in the portal this year, for whatever reason.

Nembhard is a poor fit next to Pack, and ****inson is a bad locker room guy, a poor fit next to Omier, and probably a bad fit for an uptempo team overall.

A lot of the other good available guards are also smaller guys (like Abmas, Ellis) which would kill us defensively since Pack is already quite small.

I don't even think Cleveland is a great fit. He's a bad shooter, and not physical enough to play the 4 without the ability to stretch the floor.

I think Amzil was a decent fit but he wouldn't really address our lack of physicality, either.

I think we just gotta be patient and trust the coaches.

Advertisement

I mean we signed a surprise elite recruit who is being mentioned as a possible lottery pick. That seems like good momentum.

Also, character and fit are HIGHLY prioritized by the staff… so we don’t even have the first clue about who is disqualified on those grounds.

Finally, the staff has to sign guys who fit with our three returning starters who they know they can win with… and Omier next to a traditional big kills our spacing and exposes us defensively against smaller and faster teams. No legit big is going to transfer here to be a bench rotation player, and Omier is unquestionably our starting 5 man.

Pack and Omier committed on April 23rd and 26th respectively. So while there might be this feeling of all the good players evaporating, the guys you mentioned hadn't chosen Miami by this point last year. A potential future NBA first rounder just signed on and we didn't even know he existed 3 days ago. I imagine L and staff is moving in similar silence with the transfer portal.
I don’t think things were silent last year. We were in the running for both Pack & Omier from the jump & we knew they both visited. Maybe they committed earlier than we knew about it. I don’t know. But we were holding our ******* breath for those two.
I don’t think anyone is out of line to at least be concerned. Some invisible timeline from last year doesn’t mean ****.

I don’t think things were silent last year. We were in the running for both Pack & Omier from the jump & we knew they both visited. Maybe they committed earlier than we knew about it. I don’t know. But we were holding our ******* breath for those two.
I don’t think anyone is out of line to at least be concerned. Some invisible timeline from last year doesn’t mean ****.
This is mostly correct. We were very much in the thick of it for Pack and Omier last year. Everyone had Pack going to Purdue, and we shocked everyone when we got his commitment. I remember privately feeling more confident in getting Omier because he went to HS in Miami. But Nijel was a pleasant surprise. Still too early to be super concerned, imo though.

Advertisement
It was silent in 2021 with Miller and Moore. No one knew they were options until they were committed. Also with Kyshawn George this year. The Herald reported that Cleveland and Ryan visited after the visits were over. We had no idea Cleveland and Ryan were on campus until they were gone. I'm sure that trend will continue considering how bad the basketball coverage is.

@Memnon posts tweets every couple of hours it seems of good players we've never heard of entering the portal. So this can't be about the belief that the portal will run out of good players.

Last year's timeline points to a good player or two could commit at any point and late April isn't an obstacle in getting impact players. Be concerned. I'm just not sure what is concerning.

Advertisement
. I'm just not sure what is concerning.
Seems like a dozen or more good players already had Miami "in the running" and/or indications they were being significantly pursued (so: good fits)... we have legendary Coach L, an Elite 8 followed by a Final 4, solid starters as well as clear slots to fill, nice weather, and great posters/fans at CIS....

...one might ask: for what reason other than just dumb-luck have we not been able to nail any of these? The answer to that (if there is one) might be the answer to what is possibly concerning.

It was silent in 2021 with Miller and Moore. No one knew they were options until they were committed. Also with Kyshawn George this year. The Herald reported that Cleveland and Ryan visited after the visits were over. We had no idea Cleveland and Ryan were on campus until they were gone. I'm sure that trend will continue considering how bad the basketball coverage is.

@Memnon posts tweets every couple of hours it seems of good players we've never heard of entering the portal. So this can't be about the belief that the portal will run out of good players.

Last year's timeline points to a good player or two could commit at any point and late April isn't an obstacle in getting impact players. Be concerned. I'm just not sure what is concerning.
Good info about 21. But nobody was talking about 21. Miller and Moore turned out great but nobody really expected much from either, did they? I think most people are hoping for more notable signings based on our success. But I’m sure we would all be happy if the same success is duplicated regardless of portal ranking. If we land Cleveland and Northwestern kid I’m sure people will be happy if not..I’ll be extremely concerned.

Good info about 21. But nobody was talking about 21. Miller and Moore turned out great but nobody really expected much from either, did they? I think most people are hoping for more notable signings based on our success. But I’m sure we would all be happy if the same success is duplicated regardless of portal ranking. If we land Cleveland and Northwestern kid I’m sure people will be happy if not..I’ll be extremely concerned.
The northwestern kid is depth not a starter, imo. I'd like Cleveland and a high scoring two guard to replace Wong. I'd be thrilled with that.

Advertisement
What kills me is what forward wouldn’t want to play next to Norshad. Kid would get plenty of playing time and naturally get better. It’s like a no brainer🤔
I've been chill but not getting Cleveland would be a cause for concern at that point. We make the most sense for him, and he walks in and starts on a final four team. Missing on him would result in a SIGNIFICANT drop off from Miller at the 4 as opposed to a slight to modest drop off.

Advertisement
Back