2024 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
How do the parks compare? Could the difference in HR/FB be attributed to home stadiums?

I guess theoretically it shouldn't matter much, since WRC+ adjusts for park. But that might be a broad, simplified adjustment that misses the way this specific factor impacts this specific hitter.
Home park can absolutely impact HR/FB ratio.

Generally, it’s a metric that is unstable, really. So Levenson at 25% for instance, could just as easily become 20% the next year etc.

The average is sticky at between 10-11%.

The most likely reasons for the difference is in launch angle and how hard they hit the ball. With additional strength this year, you could see an improvement.

Most likely, Levenson simply has more power and is a better hitter, but this kid is a reasonable facsimile.

Costello had a 109 wRC+, which adjusts for park and competition in the same conference as Levenson.

Levenson had a 124 wRC+.

Basically what that tells us is that Costello was a 9% better hitter than average and Levenson was 24% better.

The way they get there is exactly as you say; Levenson had 16.7% of his fly balls turn into HR's, while Costello only had 6.7% turn into HR's. Their fly ball percentages were almost identical, so it wasn't a data mix issue. Levenson with 45.7% fly balls and Costello at 46.8%.

Levenson walks a tick more and strikes out a tick more (12.6% BB to 9.5%, 18.7% K to 14.6%).

The way that Costello gets to a higher OBP is through HBP. He's a bit of a magnet there as he got hit 12 times, compared to only 7 for Levenson.

It's a good pickup and is a pretty close match for Levenson next year most likely with another year of growth. Costello was much closer to Levenson with a 115 wRC+ prior to the Supers, but struggled a bit in Supers/CWS to drag it down to his final 109.
Good to see you back posting on the board

Advertisement
Go after Zach Morris from Arkansas!!!!!
LHP that we can land from the portal.
Call Jeb Bargfeldt's dad who is an Assistant on the Softball team and get this thing rolling...
We need two front line guys from the portal.

Advertisement
where are you guys getting the portal list. 247 does a good one for football but i cannot find anything close to it on the baseball side

Does anyone have an updated roster as of today?
Which freshmen are enrolled in summer school?
Are Renzo, Perez, and others staying or moving on?
Are Costello and the JC pitcher th only Portal/ late additions?
What about any other JC transfers?
Thanks in advance, I am trying to get an idea of what the lineup and staff will be.

Advertisement
I would still love to know how he could possibly have eligibility left, but Gomez is playing in the Northwoods League this summer

Advertisement
Dario is apparently not any good but has played in over 200 college baseball games and was voted a captain.

Maybe he'll respond to new tutelage.

Captain of what?
With Villegas and new arrival Costello, I see no place in the outfield for him. Why take innings away from one of our younger players for Gomez. His low On Base Percentage is what really stood out to me.
Right now Costello or one of the Freshmen would be my leadoff hitter.

Captain of what?
With Villegas and new arrival Costello, I see no place in the outfield for him. Why take innings away from one of our younger players for Gomez. His low On Base Percentage is what really stood out to me.
Right now Costello or one of the Freshmen would be my leadoff hitter.
I agree on Gomez. Apparently a phenomenal locker room guy and teammate, but plug-in outfielder at best based on his performance last year.

I would still love to know how he could possibly have eligibility left, but Gomez is playing in the Northwoods League this summer
It's unusual, but not unheard of for players out of eligibility to play summer ball:

"After serving as the team’s closer last summer, righthanded pitcher Eamon Horwedel returned this year and is having success as one of the Growlers’ starters. He was named to the Great Lakes All-Star Game and recently took a no-hitter into the sixth inning of what turned out to be a one-hit, complete game shutout with 10 punchouts. It’s not a pro profile, with a low-80s fastball and a mid-70s slurvy breaking ball that he commands extremely well. He changes his arm angle from a more traditional three-quarters look to a sidewinder, which adds to his effectiveness as a junk-baller. He played for his hometown Michigan Wolverines this past year as a graduate student and may be out of collegiate eligibility, but is still a big reason why Kalamazoo has enjoyed so much success both this year and last."

Advertisement
Back