2024 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
Since Costello plays OF, does Carrier hold the DH spot? Is Dario Gomez coming back? Honestly I think he’s better than Villegas.

Fenster will handle the hitting and base running.
Well, we had 39 total successful stolen bases last year… I hope Mr. Fenster actually really puts in place the reality of a speed team and aggressive on the bases that supposedly was to be Gino’s MO.
Don’t know much about the newbies coming in, but between Eddie last year starting 51 games 3 for 4 SB and Jacoby Long starting 13 … 4 for 4 SB ( painfully limited play time ) to be able to really open up and go , I expect at least 15 for Eddie and 25 for Long . Long was put in late innings and squelched a lot because of the score.

Advertisement
Where are the pitching transfers...Miami needs multiple. Are there any quality pitchers in the portal?

I thought so too but then I read the 247 article and it said he was eligible for one more season if he wanted.
They may know something that I don’t, but I don’t see how. 2019 JUCO, 2021 Nevada, 2022 Nevada, 2023 Miami. Maybe he took a medical redshirt in 2019 that I’m not seeing? Edit: Nope. He played 28 games in ‘19.

Advertisement
They may know something that I don’t, but I don’t see how. 2019 JUCO, 2021 Nevada, 2022 Nevada, 2023 Miami. Maybe he took a medical redshirt in 2019 that I’m not seeing?
He didn’t do senior night and he wasn’t listed as a grad student. Strange. He’s been playing since the Nixon administration it seems.

They may know something that I don’t, but I don’t see how. 2019 JUCO, 2021 Nevada, 2022 Nevada, 2023 Miami. Maybe he took a medical redshirt in 2019 that I’m not seeing? Edit: Nope. He played 28 games in ‘19.
Yeah I have no idea. The only place I’ve seen say he had another year was 247 article (I think it was Stock). But I assumed he was gone.

It’s an okay pickup. His numbers are basically Levenson with less pop.
Costello had a 109 wRC+, which adjusts for park and competition in the same conference as Levenson.

Levenson had a 124 wRC+.

Basically what that tells us is that Costello was a 9% better hitter than average and Levenson was 24% better.

The way they get there is exactly as you say; Levenson had 16.7% of his fly balls turn into HR's, while Costello only had 6.7% turn into HR's. Their fly ball percentages were almost identical, so it wasn't a data mix issue. Levenson with 45.7% fly balls and Costello at 46.8%.

Levenson walks a tick more and strikes out a tick more (12.6% BB to 9.5%, 18.7% K to 14.6%).

The way that Costello gets to a higher OBP is through HBP. He's a bit of a magnet there as he got hit 12 times, compared to only 7 for Levenson.

It's a good pickup and is a pretty close match for Levenson next year most likely with another year of growth. Costello was much closer to Levenson with a 115 wRC+ prior to the Supers, but struggled a bit in Supers/CWS to drag it down to his final 109.

Costello is a good add, a quality take given our circumstances. Lets pray and see if JD can actually pull some quality arms in the portal

Advertisement
Possible lineup

C: Perez
1B: Cuvet/Torres
2B: Cyr/Dorian
SS: Jimenez/Cyr
3B: Torres/Cuvet
RF: Costello
CF: Long
LF: Villegas
DH: Carrier

Last edited:
This lineup can't have Perez as the starting Catcher or Dorian playing in the infield. Can't hit their weight won't cut it. Plus give the opportunities to the younger guys.
Use the DH spot to get the young guys at bats. Give Carrier first shot and may the best bat win out.

Possible lineup

C: Perez
1B: Cuvet/Torres
2B: Cyr/Dorian
SS: Santana/Cyr
3B: Torres/Cuvet
RF: Costello
CF: Long
LF: Villegas
DH: Carrier
Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but did Antonio Jimenez decommit? That's your SS if he didn't.

Ranked #55 in the entire draft this last year by FanGraphs, didn't get drafted, and is physically ready. Had a 100 mph throw from SS at PG National, switch hitter, good hands on the dirt. Already 19, so he's not a fresh-faced kid and we only get him for two years since he will be a soph.-eligible draft guy (provided I didn't miss him leaving us).

He also performed against good arms at the MLB Draft Combine. He's our best freshman in my mind.

Advertisement
Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but did Antonio Jimenez decommit? That's your SS if he didn't.

Ranked #55 in the entire draft this last year by FanGraphs, didn't get drafted, and is physically ready. Had a 100 mph throw from SS at PG National, switch hitter, good hands on the dirt. Already 19, so he's not a fresh-faced kid and we only get him for two years since he will be a soph.-eligible draft guy (provided I didn't miss him leaving us).

He also performed against good arms at the MLB Draft Combine. He's our best freshman in my mind.
Sorry about that - meant Jimenez not Santana. Would be great if he comes in and locks up SS.

Costello had a 109 wRC+, which adjusts for park and competition in the same conference as Levenson.

Levenson had a 124 wRC+.

Basically what that tells us is that Costello was a 9% better hitter than average and Levenson was 24% better.

The way they get there is exactly as you say; Levenson had 16.7% of his fly balls turn into HR's, while Costello only had 6.7% turn into HR's. Their fly ball percentages were almost identical, so it wasn't a data mix issue. Levenson with 45.7% fly balls and Costello at 46.8%.

Levenson walks a tick more and strikes out a tick more (12.6% BB to 9.5%, 18.7% K to 14.6%).

The way that Costello gets to a higher OBP is through HBP. He's a bit of a magnet there as he got hit 12 times, compared to only 7 for Levenson.

It's a good pickup and is a pretty close match for Levenson next year most likely with another year of growth. Costello was much closer to Levenson with a 115 wRC+ prior to the Supers, but struggled a bit in Supers/CWS to drag it down to his final 109.
How do the parks compare? Could the difference in HR/FB be attributed to home stadiums?

I guess theoretically it shouldn't matter much, since WRC+ adjusts for park. But that might be a broad, simplified adjustment that misses the way this specific factor impacts this specific hitter.

Levenson had a 124 wRC+.

You getting the advanced metrics from D1 baseball?

Advertisement
Back