2024 Recruiting

Advertisement
I don’t think the talent in Florida catches anyone who regularly posts here by surprise. The staff has rarely prioritized the state though.
A couple years ago, as a result of a similar discussion here, I took a look at UF, FSU and UM as far as in-state recruits went. Surprisingly to some I guess, there was hardly any difference -- over the past 20-25 years -- between the three. You couldn't really say any of the three Florida schools seem to prioritize it.

A couple years ago, as a result of a similar discussion here, I took a look at UF, FSU and UM as far as in-state recruits went. Surprisingly to some I guess, there was hardly any difference -- over the past 20-25 years -- between the three. You couldn't really say any of the three Florida schools seem to prioritize it.
Believe I remember that post actually. Still surprises me to this day.

Believe I remember that post actually. Still surprises me to this day.
Felt the same.

FSU, over the yrs, has focused on African-born big men (many of them 7 footers) and mainly on a lot of JuCo players. UF recruits from the SEC footprint, the Northeast and pretty much all over. Joaquin Noah, e.g., was a NYC kid with international ties (France).

What I think surprised many was just how many Florida kids we'd signed at UM over the years. Turned out to be more than most thought. We all understandably focus on the "misses" we've had with some big name Florida kids.

20-25 years ago Florida wasn't producing hoopers at the same rate it is today. Now, over the last 10 years if you go back and look at the players that have come out of Florida and look at the in-state school (fsu) that signed many of them, it's no coincidence that they were the most successful in-state program during that time period.

Felt the same.

FSU, over the yrs, has focused on African-born big men (many of them 7 footers) and mainly on a lot of JuCo players. UF recruits from the SEC footprint, the Northeast and pretty much all over. Joaquin Noah, e.g., was a NYC kid with international ties (France).

What I think surprised many was just how many Florida kids we'd signed at UM over the years. Turned out to be more than most thought. We all understandably focus on the "misses" we've had with some big name Florida kids.

Dwayne Bacon, Jonathan Isaac, Raquan Gray, Trent Forrest and Scottie Barnes are NOT African-born big men. Nor are they from the HS basketball pipelines like Montverde, IMG, DME, etc. They're all products of Florida grassroots basketball who have found their way to the NBA after leaving fsu. Add to that the countless others who signed with other schools out of HS and made their way to the league after college as well and you'd understand why I've always said we should do a better job of recruiting in Florida.

In the last 10 years, Florida high schools have produced over 30 NBA players. 30!!!!
Birthday Minka GIF

It baffles me how some people can't understand that this isn't the same Florida from the last century when it comes to HS basketball prospects.

Last edited:
Advertisement
20-25 years ago Florida wasn't producing hoopers at the same rate it is today. Now, over the last 10 years if you go back and look at the players that have come out of Florida and look at the in-state school (fsu) that signed many of them, it's no coincidence that they were the most successful in-state program during that time period.

Dwayne Bacon, Jonathan Isaac, Raquan Gray, Trent Forrest and Scottie Barnes are NOT African-born big men. Nor are they from the HS basketball pipelines like Montverde, IMG, DME, etc. They're all products of Florida grassroots basketball who have found their way to the NBA after leaving fsu. Add to that the countless others who signed with other schools out of HS and made their way to the league after college as well and you'd understand why I've always said we should do a better job of recruiting in Florida.

In the last 10 years, Florida high schools have produced over 30 NBA players. 30!!!!
Birthday Minka GIF

It baffles me how some people can't understand that this isn't the same Florida from the last century when it comes to HS basketball prospects.

30 in 10 years is impressive to you? That's something like 2% of all NBA players over that span, despite Florida being 6% of the US population. Even taking into account all of the international players in the NBA, producing only 30 over a 10 year span really isn't anything special.

It's not bad, and it's probably an improvement vs prior decades, but it's way more efficient to recruit in other parts of the country than it is to recruit in Florida.

30 in 10 years is impressive to you? That's something like 2% of all NBA players over that span, despite Florida being 6% of the US population. Even taking into account all of the international players in the NBA, producing only 30 over a 10 year span really isn't anything special.

It's not bad, and it's probably an improvement vs prior decades, but it's way more efficient to recruit in other parts of the country than it is to recruit in Florida.
30 in 10 years is pretty **** good, when you think about it. In comparison with other states, I'd be willing to bet Florida is near the top of that list.
That's an average of 3 NBA pros per recruiting class. Now, imagine Miami getting 1 or 2 out of those 3 on a yearly basis. Pretty scary thought for college basketball what Larranaga would've done with that kind of talent.

If I'm not mistaken there are about 20 Florida homegrown guys currently in the NBA. Again, in comparison with other states you'll find Florida near the top of that list as well.

For the umpteenth time, I've never said Miami should NOT recruit outside of Florida. All I've ever wanted to see is Miami make the state more of a priority. Not necessarily make in-state recruiting the top priority, just make it one of the 2 or 3 regions of the country where we should always be recruiting and have a presence in.

Last edited:
30 in 10 years is pretty **** good, when you think about it. In comparison with other states, I'd be willing to bet Florida is near the top of that list.
That's an average of 3 NBA pros per recruiting class. Now, imagine Miami getting 1 or 2 out of those 3 on a yearly basis. Pretty scary thought for college basketball what Larranaga would've done with that kind of talent.

If I'm not mistaken there are about 20 Florida homegrown guys currently in the NBA. Again, in comparison with other states you'll find Florida near the top of the list.

For the umpteenth time, I've never said Miami should NOT recruit outside of Florida. All I've ever wanted to see is Miami make the state more of a priority. Not necessarily make in-state recruiting the top priority, just make it one of the 2 or 3 regions of the country where we should always be recruiting and have a presence in.

I did think about it lol I did the math and the research.

Looks Florida was 7th in number of NBA players in 2022, with 20. Florida is the 3rd largest state.

It'd be nice to be in it for the top Florida kids more often, but per capita, Florida's not great at producing basketball players. It's not terrible, but really nothing special. If L wants to prioritize areas with much denser basketball talent, I have no problem with that.

Advertisement
I did think about it lol I did the math and the research.

Looks Florida was 7th in number of NBA players in 2022, with 20. Florida is the 3rd largest state.

It'd be nice to be in it for the top Florida kids more often, but per capita, Florida's not great at producing basketball players. It's not terrible, but really nothing special. If L wants to prioritize areas with much denser basketball talent, I have no problem with that.
You did the research on much denser basketball talent? Like you actually looked up how many HS players are playing in each state, or did you go off each state's population? That's neither here nor there. Fact of the matter is that it would be fine and dandy to prioritize all the other "denser" areas if Miami were in Idaho and not in Florida. But I think most will agree that being that University of Miami is situated in the state of Florida it'd be wise to recruit the homegrown talent that has produced the 6th most current players in the NBA. I don't know how else to say it. Just seems to make sense to me that the program would be better served if Florida prospects were being more actively recruited over the years. Again, no need to beat a dead horse here. It seems like Coach L and staff are being more proactive in the state with identifying the talent early and getting on them. Anyone who says our staff shouldn't recruit or prioritize in state recruiting is a basketball recruiting loony.

You did the research on much denser basketball talent? Like you actually looked up how many HS players are playing in each state, or did you go bjbkoff each state's population? That's neither here nor there. Fact of the matter is that it would be fine and dandy to prioritize all the other "denser" areas if Miami were in Idaho and not in Florida. But I think most will agree that being that University of Miami is situated in the state of Florida it'd be wise to recruit the homegrown talent that has produced the 6th most current players in the NBA. I don't know how else to say it. Just seems to make sense to me that the program would be better served if Florida prospects were being more actively recruited over the years. Again, no need to beat a dead horse here. It seems like Coach L and staff are being more proactive in the state with identifying the talent early and getting on them. Anyone who says our staff shouldn't recruit or prioritize in state recruiting is a basketball recruiting loony.

I'm not doing your research for you. If you think Florida has disproportionately fewer HS players and is therefore denser, prove it.

The reason you "don't know how else to say it" is because you're making a ****-poor argument and are incapable of using facts to back it up.

The facts show that Florida is below average at producing basketball talent. L has stronger connections in areas that have stronger and denser high school talent. It makes all the sense in the world for him to deprioritize Florida.

I'm not doing your research for you. If you think Florida has disproportionately fewer HS players and is therefore denser, prove it.

The reason you "don't know how else to say it" is because you're making a ****-poor argument and are incapable of using facts to back it up.

The facts show that Florida is below average at producing basketball talent. L has stronger connections in areas that have stronger and denser high school talent. It makes all the sense in the world for him to deprioritize Florida.
I don’t have to do any research on population density. You’re the one that brought it up. That was your argument. To me it doesn't really matter what our population is because we're not recruiting the 21 million people who live in the state. We need to identify who the top 3-5 players are annually and go after them. My argument is Florida produces basketball players. The data backs that up. The state of Florida has the 6th most players currently playing in the NBA. It’s asinine to say that Miami should overlook that and not make their in state prospects one of their priorities. Crazy!

Last edited:
I don’t have to do any research on population density. You’re the one that brought it up. That was your argument. To me it doesn't really matter what our population is because we're not recruiting the 21 million people who live in the state. We need to identify who the top 3-5 players are annually and go after them. My argument is Florida produces basketball players. The data backs that up. The state of Florida has the 6th most players currently playing in the NBA. It’s asinine to say that Miami should overlook that and not make their in state prospects one of their priorities. Crazy!

Oh got it. By your logic, we should priotize European players. There are way more good players in Europe than there are in Florida. Who cares that they're scattered among 700M people!

A coach can spend all day visiting a HS team that has 1 good player, or spend all day visiting 2 HS teams that have 3 good players.

L's approach has been more successful than Hamilton's Florida-first approach. If you include FSU's lost postseason in 2020, you can argue they've been about equal, but if you exclude the FBI years, L has been far more successful.

Advertisement
Oh got it. By your logic, we should priotize European players. There are way more good players in Europe than there are in Florida. Who cares that they're scattered among 700M people!

A coach can spend all day visiting a HS team that has 1 good player, or spend all day visiting 2 HS teams that have 3 good players.

L's approach has been more successful than Hamilton's Florida-first approach. If you include FSU's lost postseason in 2020, you can argue they've been about equal, but if you exclude the FBI years, L has been far more successful.
Miami isn’t in Europe but if it were the university of Munich I’d say let recruit Germany, Europe and if the budget allows it America too. Don’t think anyone is saying Florida first. Just recruit it is all I’m saying. Which looks like the staff is now putting in the effort to do so.

Maybe people will realize that there is actually a lot of basketball talent in FL.
12 fewer than NY and more that PA, MA and NJ.
Extremely interesting.

Actually FL is the 3rd most populated state. Being 5th in hoop talent means its underperforming.

FL has over 80% more people than PA, 200% more than MA, and over 100% more than NJ. It should be dusting those states, statistically.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 7.11.58 PM.png

Actually FL is the 3rd most populated state. Being 5th in hoop talent means its underperforming.

FL has over 80% more people than PA, 200% more than MA, and over 100% more than NJ. It should be dusting those states, statistically.

View attachment 235993
Tough to do when many of the top HS players in football, baseball and soccer are already coming out of Florida. Again, not asking Miami to recruit the entire population. Just need to identify who the top players are and go after them. Something we’re doing now but weren’t necessarily doing 5-10 years ago. GO CANES!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Advertisement
Back