2024 Recruiting

My nephew Jalen Blackmon will be at UM next weekend for an OV. He played at Stetson last season and scored 20/game.
Great 3 level scorer.

This would be a 1 year grad transfer

We were not originally listed as a team in contact with him… This is about as inside info as it gets, thank you!

Is he not doing NBA draft process anymore as reported?

Advertisement
We were not originally listed as a team in contact with him… This is about as inside info as it gets, thank you!

Is he not doing NBA draft process anymore as reported?
We discussed it but it he end he wants to play another year of college ball. He graduated in 3 years so though next year will be a grad year, it is still only his 4th season of college ball.
And the feedback he has received is that he needs to play at least 5-10 minutes a game at the Point. He is 6’2” which is just too short to play the 2 in the NBA. Jalen will never be a pure point because he has a scorer’s mentality but he needs to show the NBA that he can be a combo guard.
This last point I have made will drive his decision as to where he plays next season. Everyone in the family respects Coach L and his offensive system. The issue will be whether UM can get him those 5-10 minutes per game running the Point.

We discussed it but it he end he wants to play another year of college ball. He graduated in 3 years so though next year will be a grad year, it is still only his 4th season of college ball.
And the feedback he has received is that he needs to play at least 5-10 minutes a game at the Point. He is 6’2” which is just too short to play the 2 in the NBA. Jalen will never be a pure point because he has a scorer’s mentality but he needs to show the NBA that he can be a combo guard.
This last point I have made will drive his decision as to where he plays next season. Everyone in the family respects Coach L and his offensive system. The issue will be whether UM can get him those 5-10 minutes per game running the Point.
Pack is more of a 2 that has been playing the 1 the past two seasons and Bethea is a natural 2 that can also play some point when needed. That said, he should have no issues getting those minutes given we don't have a natural 1 on the roster.

Last edited:
I'm sure many other schools will have a lot to offer someone with that scoring ability but a guard rotation of Pack, Bethea, and your nephew would leave plenty of minutes, if not the majority of them, with him being the primary ball handler. Hope it works out!

Advertisement
He got a ton of minutes at Stetson, 34 per. Is he okay getting less minutes? Thinking he is in the 26 to 28 minute range. Over 30 starts to wear and tear in ACC conference play. Don't see getting 5 to 10 minutes at point with Benz gone as an issue. Just the opposite.

He got a ton of minutes at Stetson, 34 per. Is he okay getting less minutes? Thinking he is in the 26 to 28 minute range. Over 30 starts to wear and tear in ACC conference play. Don't see getting 5 to 10 minutes at point with Benz gone as an issue. Just the opposite.
Pack has been injury-prone the past couple of years and Bethea is an incoming freshman, so whoever that 3rd guard/6th man in the rotation is going to get quite a few minutes and several starts if I'm guessing.

Pack has been injury-prone the past couple of years and Bethea is an incoming freshman, so whoever that 3rd guard/6th man in the rotation is going to get quite a few minutes and several starts if I'm guessing.
He only missed 2 games in 2022-2023. Wouldn’t say he’s injury prone einstein.

From L’s pursuit of a high level guard, I think Bethea is being treated as 6th man… We’ll see

Advertisement
He doesn’t expect to play a many minutes as UM.
As his dad said to me yesterday, “With the way Miami scores, Jalen could score 20 points in 20 minutes”. His dad was a McDonald’s High school All American, played at Kentucky in the early 80’s with Sam Bowie, Kenny Walker, Rex Chapman, etc, and is a 3 time state champ as a head coach in Indiana, so he knows his basketball.

So they know Jalen can do as much or more without the minutes. They also know that L will get you open shots whereas at Stetson, Jalen worked hard for every shot he took. See the UConn game when he was being face guarded 25 feet from the basket by Stephon Castle.

The only issue at UM is whether L will agree to the 5-10 minutes at the Point.
NIL is not a major issue because the family is well off financially, and frankly from the numbers being thrown around informally, UM is in a very good position in terms of its basketball NIL collective.

Advertisement
He doesn’t expect to play a many minutes as UM.
As his dad said to me yesterday, “With the way Miami scores, Jalen could score 20 points in 20 minutes”. His dad was a McDonald’s High school All American, played at Kentucky in the early 80’s with Sam Bowie, Kenny Walker, Rex Chapman, etc, and is a 3 time state champ as a head coach in Indiana, so he knows his basketball.

So they know Jalen can do as much or more without the minutes. They also know that L will get you open shots whereas at Stetson, Jalen worked hard for every shot he took. See the UConn game when he was being face guarded 25 feet from the basket by Stephon Castle.

The only issue at UM is whether L will agree to the 5-10 minutes at the Point.
NIL is not a major issue because the family is well off financially, and frankly from the numbers being thrown around informally, UM is in a very good position in terms of its basketball NIL collective.
Wow, I remember his dad at Kentucky. Those were the Eddie Sutton years. Got to believe Jim will have no issues.

Dang, what's Edgecombe doing in Baylor??
Wish he chose Miami. That's where he belongs body mind and spirit..

Advertisement
Cool and what happened this year? I've forgotten more about what you're trying to debate with me than you'll ever know in your entire life big guy
Look up the definition of injury prone next time you want to run your mouth like the piece of **** you are. You are a little two faced *****.

Advertisement
Back