LT - Okunlola
LG - Ahfua
C - ?
RG - Cooper
RT - Mauigoa
8182B151-0A34-4AE7-9C6B-147134F5E8B5.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t think a whole lot of this stuff is in Mario’s hands like you think.

There’s a whole money side that’s beyond his control. That side of this is significant. He can win the favorite coach award from a recruit but money also matters. What he can fix is our on-field performance so we’re treated more seriously by kids who looked at us as nothing more than a leverage opportunity.

I agree that a lot of it isn't Mario's hands. That's why I've said many times he was good hire if he is given top level NIL money because he is an excellent recruiter. NIL funds are out of his control. However, [BGCOLOR=initial] if the people with deep pockets aren't going to put up NIL money on par with the top programs, then we should have hired a scheme focused HC instead. [BGCOLOR=initial]It's not personal. He's isn't a good fit for the type of program that wants to operate on a budget. [/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Those of us worried about how much Lifewallets stock market flop was going to hurt us were chastised and told that Ruiz isn't the only one putting up NIL money. Well, over the past month or so, it kinda l[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]ooked like Ruizs money woes were affecting NIL. [/BGCOLOR]

The good news though is it seems the NIL money is back and Cristobal has enough to pay the suck tax. Now did we actually get more NIL money or is this just a refund of the earmarked NIL money that was supposed to have been spent on top recruits already? Don't know, but I am glad that Cristobal didn't just say "oh well, we missed on the top targets so let's save the NIL for the portal." I think the portal can work for a few positions, but OL and DT needs to be recruited out of HS.

I agree that a lot of it isn't Mario's hands. That's why I've said many times he was good hire if he is given top level NIL money because he is an excellent recruiter. NIL funds are out of his control. However, [BGCOLOR=initial] if the people with deep pockets aren't going to put up NIL money on par with the top programs, then we should have hired a scheme focused HC instead. [BGCOLOR=initial]It's not personal. He's isn't a good fit for the type of program that wants to operate on a budget. [/BGCOLOR][/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Those of us worried about how much Lifewallets stock market flop was going to hurt us were chastised and told that Ruiz isn't the only one putting up NIL money. Well, over the past month or so, it kinda l[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]ooked like Ruizs money woes were affecting NIL. [/BGCOLOR]

The good news though is it seems the NIL money is back and Cristobal has enough to pay the suck tax. Now did we actually get more NIL money or is this just a refund of the earmarked NIL money that was supposed to have been spent on top recruits already? Don't know, but I am glad that Cristobal didn't just say "oh well, we missed on the top targets so let's save the NIL for the portal." I think the portal can work for a few positions, but OL and DT needs to be recruited out of HS.
Your response doesn’t accurately reflect my understanding of things. I will only elaborate slightly on this.

The NIL money isn’t just Ruiz and it didn’t all of a sudden “come back up”. Recruits have a priority level and value. Some recruits are worth the extra $ and others aren’t based on their level of priority. Some recruits simply want the offer and go elsewhere with it to use as leverage with their favorite teams.

Advertisement

Not touching NIL but curious why you think OL and DT need to be recruited out of HS and not the portal? Two of five starting OL for Canes this coming season are due to the portal in Lee and Cohen. Over the years I think many in this site have witnessed the countless number of OL busts, injuries and just overall lackluster performances to the OL. The DT position, while you may not have a starter, you will have rotational guys adding much needed depth. I cringe at thought of not having them and what it would do to the interior of our DL.

The hit ratio overall to produce quality OL and DL is extremely low and the portal helps improve your results. My view is that I think you should be plugging a hole or two from portal every year. To pick up a proven vet with 2-3 years of starting experience. That changes your outlook immediately and why I think this team should win 9 games but that's for another thread. The portal is here to stay and allows your team to plug the holes of every position group.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Was just going to ask about him. I believe D$ or someone else mentioned last year that they were going to also try him at Center. Don’t know if they ever did or how that worked out with his injury
Would be something to have a 6-5 330 lb center,Don't believe we've ever had any his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back