2023 Recruiting

Not defending it just pointing out that we do more recruiting locally than you may know. I have also heard there has been some bad blood with a couple of local AAU coaches who pushed some kids we recruited to other schools, one of them was Augustine who lied about paying Coach L in the scandal also Fair out of Oldsmar who was briefly a UL assistant had talked ***** about us in recruiting. Fair was later fired for his ties to the scandal. Bottom line I'd like to get more local kids too if they're better than kids we are looking at elsewhere. I do know we've been recruiting the Boozer kids pretty aggressively.
i speak to many local coaches, players and parents and the consensus is Miami doesn’t recruit the state as well as others. Don’t know about the bad blood between the local AAU coaches and Miami. Fair and Augustine are not South Fl guys, so it doesn’t absolve the staff from recruiting down here. I do know many HS/AAU coaches spoke highly of Caputo. Many say he was the only one on the staff with some ties to the prep coaches in Florida. Will be interesting to see how we do moving forward with the Boozer twins. Hopefully, they stay at Columbus all 4 years. I can’t see that hurting us in any way.

Advertisement
Not defending it just pointing out that we do more recruiting locally than you may know. I have also heard there has been some bad blood with a couple of local AAU coaches who pushed some kids we recruited to other schools, one of them was Augustine who lied about paying Coach L in the scandal also Fair out of Oldsmar who was briefly a UL assistant had talked ***** about us in recruiting. Fair was later fired for his ties to the scandal. Bottom line I'd like to get more local kids too if they're better than kids we are looking at elsewhere. I do know we've been recruiting the Boozer kids pretty aggressively.

Wasn't Fair the same guy that got Dewan jammed up?

i speak to many local coaches, players and parents and the consensus is Miami doesn’t recruit the state as well as others. Don’t know about the bad blood between the local AAU coaches and Miami. Fair and Augustine are not South Fl guys, so it doesn’t absolve the staff from recruiting down here. I do know many HS/AAU coaches spoke highly of Caputo. Many say he was the only one on the staff with some ties to the prep coaches in Florida. Will be interesting to see how we do moving forward with the Boozer twins. Hopefully, they stay at Columbus all 4 years. I can’t see that hurting us in any way.
Caputo knew all the local coaches, he was very particular when it came to recruiting but also extremely aggressive when he thought we not only identified a kid that fit the program but more importantly ones we had a legit shot at. Hoping the new assistants can replace those relationships quickly. Landing the Boozer twins would be huge but I think if they're good enough to play for Dad's alma mater it will be a tough pull.

Caputo knew all the local coaches, he was very particular when it came to recruiting but also extremely aggressive when he thought we not only identified a kid that fit the program but more importantly ones we had a legit shot at. Hoping the new assistants can replace those relationships quickly. Landing the Boozer twins would be huge but I think if they're good enough to play for Dad's alma mater it will be a tough pull.
I have to seriously question any staff who only goes after kids they feel they have a “legit shot” when the prospect is an underclassmen. Thoughts and feelings change daily, particularly with teenagers. To NOT recruit a top prospect bcuz it may be an uphill battle sounds ludicrous to me. You’re gonna win some and lose some but you don’t have a chance if you don’t get in the fight. All local D1 prospects should be recruited to an extent regardless how things may stand, particularly early on.

As far as the Boozer twins are concerned, I don’t think they’ll go to Duke if mom has a say in things. Hearing that they want the kids to forge their own path. From what I’ve heard one school I doubt they’ll be attending is Michigan. Miami has a shot here but it’ll come down to building relationships. It’s all I’ve ever asked and wanted more of from our staff. A good telltale sign will be if they remain at Columbus all 4 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
A lot of programs missed badly on Collins. UM included. He got a lot stronger and extended the range on his shot at Wake.
Agreed, but goes back to what I always say and that is that it would be nice if we took fliers on 3/4-star big men (Collins, Raquan Gray, etc.) from South Florida or in-state for that matter, rather than 3 star big men projects (Gak, Izundu, Rodney Miller, etc.) from OOS. The last big man from South Florida we took a flier on was when Tonye Jekiri fell on our laps. And if I'm not mistaken he's outperformed every out of state flier we've taken over the last 10 years. GO CANES!!!

Won't go into details here, but based on what I was told by multiple folks everything written in this article isn't necessarily true and I'll leave it at that.

GO CANES!

Agreed, but goes back to what I always say and that is that it would be nice if we took fliers on 3/4-star big men (Collins, Raquan Gray, etc.) from South Florida or in-state for that matter, rather than 3 star big men projects (Gak, Izundu, Rodney Miller, etc.) from OOS. The last big man from South Florida we took a flier on was when Tonye Jekiri fell on our laps. And if I'm not mistaken he's outperformed every out of state flier we've taken over the last 10 years. GO CANES!!!
Jekiri is a great example. When I think of him I think of another unpolished big from Miami that basketball power, UConn, took a flier on -- Amida Brimah.

Jekiri had the better college career (though Brimah got a National Championship ring with UConn in 2014). They were the same age. We'd have looked like FSU with the two 7 footers defending inside.

Advertisement
Jekiri is a great example. When I think of him I think of another unpolished big from Miami that basketball power, UConn, took a flier on -- Amida Brimah.

Jekiri had the better college career (though Brimah got a National Championship ring with UConn in 2014). They were the same age. We'd have looked like FSU with the two 7 footers defending inside.
Funny story on Tonye, he was signed, sealed and ready to be delivered to another local program after HS. An assistant coach at FIU (of all places) brought him to Miami from Africa and stashed him for a few years, planning he'd go to FIU after graduation. They had him playing on a local AAU team during the summer and HS ball with Champagnat during the school year. Luckily for Miami, a shoe sponsored AAU team got their hands on Tonye for his senior year of travel ball. The staff saw him in a national tournament and the rest as they say is history.

Won't go into details here, but based on what I was told by multiple folks everything written in this article isn't necessarily true and I'll leave it at that.

GO CANES!
i'm sure there are varying stories but from my sources Fair had some indirect involvement though not to the extent in the story. Bottom line Dewan messed up and the NCAA was way too harsh on him for what amounted to a night in a hotel room.

BTW Izundu turned out to be a quality big for us his senior year (10.9pts 8.3 rebounds), biggest mistake we made was not redshirting him freshman year, would have helped us big time in the 19-20 season

Advertisement
i'm sure there are varying stories but from my sources Fair had some indirect involvement though not to the extent in the story. Bottom line Dewan messed up and the NCAA was way too harsh on him for what amounted to a night in a hotel room.

BTW Izundu turned out to be a quality big for us his senior year (10.9pts 8.3 rebounds), biggest mistake we made was not redshirting him freshman year, would have helped us big time in the 19-20 season
i agree with a lot of your last post, but just like the article this last post isn’t 100% true and factual. Dewan is a nice guy. One of the nicest star players I’ve had the opportunity to meet. He hasn’t changed much since his middle school days. Can’t tell you how happy I am that he’s been able to continue his playing career. That said, he got mixed up with the wrong people towards the end of his HS career and unfortunately it seemed like those ppl either didn’t know what they were doing or didn’t always have his best interests at heart. Many of the same folks who were with him early on, were no longer part of his circle when he got to Miami. Again, I won’t go into specifics about Dewan but I can’t sit here and pretend that he (like 1,000’s of other kids before and after him) didn’t play a role in any wrongdoing with the whacky, outdated and over reaching rules of the ncaa. FBI was definitely a bit too much and totally unnecessary. The punishment didn’t fit the crime.

GO CANES!!!

i agree with a lot of your last post, but just like the article this last post isn’t 100% true and factual. Dewan is a nice guy. One of the nicest star players I’ve had the opportunity to meet. He hasn’t changed much since his middle school days. Can’t tell you how happy I am that he’s been able to continue his playing career. That said, he got mixed up with the wrong people towards the end of his HS career and unfortunately it seemed like those ppl either didn’t know what they were doing or didn’t always have his best interests at heart. Many of the same folks who were with him early on, were no longer part of his circle when he got to Miami. Again, I won’t go into specifics about Dewan but I can’t sit here and pretend that he (like 1,000’s of other kids before and after him) didn’t play a role in any wrongdoing with the whacky, outdated and over reaching rules of the ncaa. FBI was definitely a bit too much and totally unnecessary. The punishment didn’t fit the crime.

GO CANES!!!
Totally agree, Dewan at worst should have been reinstated, instead the NCAA screwed him over. I felt terrible for him.

I don't have the data to back it up, but I feel like we are late to jump on some Out of State prospects, not just in state. In general, I think we are very conservative with our offers and are often late to the game with many kids.

But agreed, we need to do a much better job recruiting the state of Florida.

And to add to that we went into a few past seasons with open scholarship spots to the point where we didn't have enough practice players... go figure 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Back