2023 Recruiting

Not much momentum with this class. Holloway to auburn, and the other guys who visited (trey green and amadu) are trending elsewhere

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Bottom line, some kids want to play for a legend that can help them along and teach. Some kids want flash and a younger coach that is charismatic and more socially close to their lives. Some want a big school, some a smaller school. Same with kids who just want to get away from home for independence. There will always be battles, but the staph's job is to overcome the objections and make a bond.

Advertisement
Is it concerning that after the best run in school history we don’t have any juice on trail? Or will that run not show it’s momentum on the trail until 24
It's concerning and disappointing. Obviously we are not a blue blood big name program, we have to strike while we have momentum. We do tend to get commitments later on in the cycle. That has kind of been our history under L, so I'm not completely losing hope.

Also, this projects to be a small class, so I'm hoping we are just being extra selective?

This year's roster by class:

Freshmen (5)
Casey
Danilo
Aire
Watson
Robinson (redshirt)

Sophomore (5)
Poplar
Joseph
Pack
Omier
Beverly (redshirt)

Junior (2)
Wong
Walker

Senior (1)
Miller

The only definite loss is Miller. There are several players who could declare early for the draft - Wong, Omier, and Pack. You also have to account for any unexpected attrition, which is obviously hard to project.

So at minimum we will have 1 open scholarship to fill, but the more likely number is 2 to 3. Since the roster is very underclassmen heavy as is, L might want to fill most of the open spots with veteran transfers and only take 1 HS kid. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Advertisement
I really did not expect our recruiting to be so bleak coming off of an elite 8 run.
In prior years, I too would've been concerned, but with NIL and transfer portal it seems like this staff isn't prioritizing what's left of the 2022 high school recruiting class. There's still plenty of time and there should be ample opportunity to build a quality team for 2023 season with the new alternative routes.

I like coach L, but I wouldn’t commit the next four years of my life to him either. I’d tell my own kid to go elsewhere. No one wants to lose out, because a new staff comes in and focuses on their guys. He won’t be in here in 2026. He’s 73 (in a month) and he can already get the maximum SS payout. That’s not attractive to a kid that isn’t old enough to vote and is in high school. It’s been this way in recruiting for a while now. Let’s just focus on the portal and one year rentals. That’s our sweet spot now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back