2023 Recruiting

You guys love to bytch about recruiting but I'm telling you with 1 (maybe two if Wong goes pro) slot open I want this staff to keep that powder dry for the portal. There is far too much talent transferring each year that we can now land with NIL $. Don't be surprised if that's how it goes down. But as a side note we have over 20 offers out there to 2023 kids just in case.

Advertisement
You guys love to bytch about recruiting but I'm telling you with 1 (maybe two if Wong goes pro) slot open I want this staff to keep that powder dry for the portal. There is far too much talent transferring each year that we can now land with NIL $. Don't be surprised if that's how it goes down. But as a side note we have over 20 offers out there to 2023 kids just in case.
That assumes no one else goes pro and no one transfers out. I think it will be a small class, but it will likely be more than just Wong.

Some of you guys have a hard time being unbiased and calling it like it is. I agree with you on the transfer portal and NIL route. Just so happens I too mentioned it in a post last week. Again, my only qualms with Larranaga's recruiting approach is him taking flyers on OOS kids when there are top national prospects in Florida who get over looked by his staff. It happens time and time again. Year after year. At some point, Larranga needs to stop being so stubborn and recruit kids like Josh Minott (2022 NBA draftee), Dillon Mitchell (ranked top 5 nationally in 2022), Ernest Udeh (top 30-40), etc. I could go on and on with a number of other top FL prospects who over the years were either never recruited or got in too late (senior year of HS), but I won't bore you with it. You just said we've got "20 offers out there to 2023 kids" but yet a good number of Florida's top prospects aren't getting them. I think there's a problem when we're recruiting OOS, 3-4 star kids but not recruiting top 100, 4-5 star in-state kids.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some of you guys have a hard time being unbiased and calling it like it is. I agree with you on the transfer portal and NIL route. Just so happens I too mentioned it in a post last week. Again, my only qualms with Larranaga's recruiting approach is him taking flyers on OOS kids when there are top national prospects in Florida who get over looked by his staff. It happens time and time again. Year after year. At some point, Larranga needs to stop being so stubborn and recruit kids like Josh Minott (2022 NBA draftee), Dillon Mitchell (ranked top 5 nationally in 2022), Ernest Udeh (top 30-40), etc. I could go on and on with a number of other top FL prospects who over the years were either never recruited or got in too late (senior year of HS), but I won't bore you with it. You just said we've got "20 offers out there to 2023 kids" but yet a good number of Florida's top prospects aren't getting them. I think there's a problem when we're recruiting OOS, 3-4 star kids but not recruiting top 100, 4-5 star in-state kids.
why does he need to adjust now when he's been mostly successful? If I'm not mistaken, he's UM's winnest coach, and outside of the FBI down years, he's been successful.

2011–12Miami20–139–7T–4thNIT Second Round
2012–13Miami29–715–31stNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2013–14Miami17–167–1110th
2014–15Miami25–1310–8T–6thNIT Runner-up
2015–16Miami27–813–5T–2ndNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2016–17Miami21–1210–8T–7thNCAA Division I Round of 64
2017–18Miami22–1011–7T–3rdNCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19Miami14–185–13T–11th
2019–20Miami15–167–13T–10th
2020–21Miami10–174–1513th
2021–22Miami26–1114–64thNCAA Division I Elite Eight
Miami:226–141 (.616)105–96 (.522)

Last edited:
why does he need to adjust now when he's been mostly successful? If I'm not mistaken, he's UM's winnest coach, and outside of the FBI down years, he's been successful.

2011–12Miami20–139–7T–4thNIT Second Round
2012–13Miami29–715–31stNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2013–14Miami17–167–1110th
2014–15Miami25–1310–8T–6thNIT Runner-up
2015–16Miami27–813–5T–2ndNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2016–17Miami21–1210–8T–7thNCAA Division I Round of 64
2017–18Miami22–1011–7T–3rdNCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19Miami14–185–13T–11th
2019–20Miami15–167–13T–10th
2020–21Miami10–174–1513th
2021–22Miami26–1114–64thNCAA Division I Elite Eight
Miami:226–141 (.616)105–96 (.522)
Imagine how much more successful we'd have been had he given Florida kids some attention and recruited/signed guys like Josh Minott, Kai Jones, Anfernee Simons, John Collins, etc. instead of some of the OOS jags he brought in. Again, nothing wrong with going out of state for the top rated recruits, but to go out of state for non top 100 kids who don't produce while we don't go after top 100 kids from Florida is baffling to me.

Advertisement
Imagine how much more successful we'd have been had he given Florida kids some attention and recruited/signed guys like Josh Minott, Kai Jones, Anfernee Simons, John Collins, etc. instead of some of the OOS jags he brought in. Again, nothing wrong with going out of state for the top rated recruits, but to go out of state for non top 100 kids who don't produce while we don't go after top 100 kids from Florida is baffling to me.

To add those guys also means subtracting the guys that did sign. It's really easy to convince yourself in hindsight, but in reality, none of us know how that would play out.

To add those guys also means subtracting the guys that did sign. It's really easy to convince yourself in hindsight, but in reality, none of us know how that would play out.
I'd think in adding the top in state guys we'd eliminate the OOS jags. Don't think a guy like John Collins would've deterred Lonnie Walker from coming, but do think it would've prevented us from signing jags like Dak or Sam.

We continue to miss out on in state guys because we either don't recruit them at all, or when we decide to do it in the 11th hour most kids already have established relationships with other staffs. As far as not knowing how things play out... Well, I do know we'll continue to struggle to sign in-state kids if we don't recruit them. Nothing hindsight about that.

Thankfully, doesn't seem we'll need to put a premium on recruiting high school players anymore. With Ruiz and other NIL opportunities, hopefully we'll be able to continue to win most of our battles on the transfer portal.

Thankfully, doesn't seem we'll need to put a premium on recruiting high school players anymore. With Ruiz and other NIL opportunities, hopefully we'll be able to continue to win most of our battles on the transfer portal.
I wonder what the future holds with Ruiz. Don't think you'll see anymore Pack-level money being given out in basketball.

Hasn't Ruiz recently made statements along the lines of him re-evaluating spending so much in light of the "return" to his business? Almost sounded like if he had it all to do over, maybe he'd be more judicious in terms of who got what?

I'd think in adding the top in state guys we'd eliminate the OOS jags. Don't think a guy like John Collins would've deterred Lonnie Walker from coming, but do think it would've prevented us from signing jags like Dak or Sam.

We continue to miss out on in state guys because we either don't recruit them at all, or when we decide to do it in the 11th hour most kids already have established relationships with other staffs. As far as not knowing how things play out... Well, I do know we'll continue to struggle to sign in-state kids if we don't recruit them. Nothing hindsight about that.

I know for a fact we recruited Collins very hard, his family wanted him out of S. Florida. Minott was locked in on playing for Penny (why didn't FSU recruit him harder?) We offered and recruited Jones but it was during the FBI crap and had no shot. Simons bypassed college and went pro, also during the FBI mess.

Advertisement
I know for a fact we recruited Collins very hard, his family wanted him out of S. Florida. Minott was locked in on playing for Penny (why didn't FSU recruit him harder?) We offered and recruited Jones but it was during the FBI crap and had no shot. Simons bypassed college and went pro, also during the FBI mess.
And I know for a fact... Miami didn't start recruiting Collins til after his junior year of HS and his offer didn't come til the Spring/Summer of his final AAU season. There should be no reason whatsoever that a 6'9" kid from South Florida isn't being recruited as an underclassmen or very least earlier than the OOS programs. Miami gets beat to the punch far too many times with local and in-state prospects. Big reason why Memphis was up early with Minott was because Penny got on him early. Kai didn't hear from Miami till he left to Brewster Academy for his prep year of HS. He spent 4 years playing HS and AAU ball in Florida and not a peep from Miami. Simons was committed to Louisville and only reason he didn't end up going there was because Pitino got fired. Miami didn't get on Simons til he was going into his senior year as well. 3 future NBA 1st round picks overlooked by our staff. Listen, we're going to hit on some and miss on others, but we've got to take our shot and do it early. Can't keep allowing OOS schools to get in early on top local kids and then wonder why we don't land them in the end.

And I know for a fact... Miami didn't start recruiting Collins til after his junior year of HS and his offer didn't come til the Spring/Summer of his final AAU season. There should be no reason whatsoever that a 6'9" kid from South Florida isn't being recruited as an underclassmen or very least earlier than the OOS programs. Miami gets beat to the punch far too many times with local and in-state prospects. Big reason why Memphis was up early with Minott was because Penny got on him early. Kai didn't hear from Miami till he left to Brewster Academy for his prep year of HS. He spent 4 years playing HS and AAU ball in Florida and not a peep from Miami. Simons was committed to Louisville and only reason he didn't end up going there was because Pitino got fired. Miami didn't get on Simons til he was going into his senior year as well. 3 future NBA 1st round picks overlooked by our staff. Listen, we're going to hit on some and miss on others, but we've got to take our shot and do it early. Can't keep allowing OOS schools to get in early on top local kids and then wonder why we don't land them in the end.
Hardly "overlooked" you completely ignore the Adidas/FBI mess blowing up our recruiting, it's why Pitino was fired. By the time Miami was exonerated it was too late with many recruits including Simons and Jones, they want nothing to do with us. As for Collins nobody got on him hard until around the spring/summer before his senior year, we offered him around the same time as Wake did and he took his official to UM before his Wake visit and Coach L and the entire staff did an in home with him and his parents. I do know we had been talking with him before we offered so it's not like we did nothing or didn't want him. He liked Manning a lot and his parents were happy to get him out of South Florida.

Hardly "overlooked" you completely ignore the Adidas/FBI mess blowing up our recruiting, it's why Pitino was fired. By the time Miami was exonerated it was too late with many recruits including Simons and Jones, they want nothing to do with us. As for Collins nobody got on him hard until around the spring/summer before his senior year, we offered him around the same time as Wake did and he took his official to UM before his Wake visit and Coach L and the entire staff did an in home with him and his parents. I do know we had been talking with him before we offered so it's not like we did nothing or didn't want him. He liked Manning a lot and his parents were happy to get him out of South Florida.
Not ignoring Adidas scandal, but prior to the FBI investigation Simons had committed to Louisville. Why not Miami? Jones (6'10" gazelle) came well after the FBI investigation. However, let's say it happened during it -- Miami should've still recruited the kid. Didn't call him till he was in his 5th year of HS. Most of Collins' recruitment did pick up late, but the home town team shouldn't be one of the last ones to get on him. He was another big fella Miami should've been all over early. Same thing with Udeh, Jr. in this last class. A 7fter from Orlando we don't start recruiting til his senior year. Baffling it still happens and folks like you defend it.

Advertisement
Not ignoring Adidas scandal, but prior to the FBI investigation Simons had committed to Louisville. Why not Miami? Jones (6'10" gazelle) came well after the FBI investigation. However, let's say it happened during it -- Miami should've still recruited the kid. Didn't call him till he was in his 5th year of HS. Most of Collins' recruitment did pick up late, but the home town team shouldn't be one of the last ones to get on him. He was another big fella Miami should've been all over early. Same thing with Udeh, Jr. in this last class. A 7fter from Orlando we don't start recruiting til his senior year. Baffling it still happens and folks like you defend it.
I don't have the data to back it up, but I feel like we are late to jump on some Out of State prospects, not just in state. In general, I think we are very conservative with our offers and are often late to the game with many kids.

But agreed, we need to do a much better job recruiting the state of Florida.

Not defending it just pointing out that we do more recruiting locally than you may know. I have also heard there has been some bad blood with a couple of local AAU coaches who pushed some kids we recruited to other schools, one of them was Augustine who lied about paying Coach L in the scandal also Fair out of Oldsmar who was briefly a UL assistant had talked ***** about us in recruiting. Fair was later fired for his ties to the scandal. Bottom line I'd like to get more local kids too if they're better than kids we are looking at elsewhere. I do know we've been recruiting the Boozer kids pretty aggressively.

I don't have the data to back it up, but I feel like we are late to jump on some Out of State prospects, not just in state. In general, I think we are very conservative with our offers and are often late to the game with many kids.

yes we can be very selective with our offers, the coaches have made that clear to me over the years that not only does a recruit need the skills to play in the ACC they have to fit the type of person L looks for to fit his culture and they must play defense and share the ball to name a few.

No need to offer them young, if the staff isn’t sure. But do wholeheartedly think we should be recruiting from the get go once they’re identified as a top D1 prospect in their respective class.

Advertisement
Back