2023 Recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I've only seen this kid play a couple of times, but nothing really stood out to me in any of those instances. I think he's an undersized power forward with a limited outside game. He's a solid Division 1 prospect, but haven't seen anything to tell me he's ACC material. I don't blame Miami for not offering here. Kind of reminds me of Joel James signing with UNC, but at least James was a 7-footer. Definitely wouldn't be the first time I'm off on an evaluation, but I just don't see it.

No offer from Miami.

And? Considering that he's jocking Duke on his timeline, who thinks that kid is interested in Miami in any way whatsoever? There's a reason why Miami has consistently recruited the DMV and Northeast for decades. It's because those kids have shown L and his staff that they are not only receptive to the sales pitch, they consider Miami as a high end offer. The kids down here have little respect for the program, they are mercenaries, looking for the "Big Time" offers. To be honest, it's a waste of time to let these kids slow play Miami, taking offers that you know they have no interest in even considering.

Even when Miami goes all out for a recruit down here, a recruit that has legit family legacy with the University, it ends poorly more often than not. Outside of Haith, there hasn't been a Miami coach that has been able to consistently land the elite kids in South Florida since the program was reestablished. Haith was unable to get the program changing talents from South Florida, and he put legit effort into the area. Even Ham hit places like DC for recruits. I don't care where the talent comes from, just get it. I don't think anyone is mad that guys like Bruce Brown, Sheldon McClellan and others weren't from the area. If L can continue to stack classes like the 2022 class, most of us won't be paying attention to where they are from.

Advertisement
And? Considering that he's jocking Duke on his timeline, who thinks that kid is interested in Miami in any way whatsoever? There's a reason why Miami has consistently recruited the DMV and Northeast for decades. It's because those kids have shown L and his staff that they are not only receptive to the sales pitch, they consider Miami as a high end offer. The kids down here have little respect for the program, they are mercenaries, looking for the "Big Time" offers. To be honest, it's a waste of time to let these kids slow play Miami, taking offers that you know they have no interest in even considering.

Even when Miami goes all out for a recruit down here, a recruit that has legit family legacy with the University, it ends poorly more often than not. Outside of Haith, there hasn't been a Miami coach that has been able to consistently land the elite kids in South Florida since the program was reestablished. Haith was unable to get the program changing talents from South Florida, and he put legit effort into the area. Even Ham hit places like DC for recruits. I don't care where the talent comes from, just get it. I don't think anyone is mad that guys like Bruce Brown, Sheldon McClellan and others weren't from the area. If L can continue to stack classes like the 2022 class, most of us won't be paying attention to where they are from.
Some of what you say is true. There are HS players, parents & coaches down here who don't value Miami nor see them as a viable option for the next level, but please don't paint every prospect down here with the same brush. To excuse this staff from recruiting more players in Florida because of a select few is dumb. There are plenty of kids who'd love to have the opportunity to play in the ACC repping the orange & green.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't mind Miami going out of state for top talent. My beef with this staff is that over the last few years they've lost out on quality in-state kids because they're focusing on 3-star prospects from other areas. A kid like Kai Jones immediately comes to mind. He's one who would've loved to have had the opportunity to stay close to home had he had the opportunity. Unfortunately, Miami didn't start recruiting him until he went to Brewster Prep. By then it was too way too late. Coach Ham and Shaka were on him 2-3 years by then. There's no excuse for these kind of stories. The data has shown that Florida produces good basketball talent. This just isn't a football state anymore. The best basketball program in Florida realizes it. How much longer til this staff understands it?

By the way, main reason Miami does a better job in the DMV and northeast than they do in Florida is because of their ties to those areas. It's not because kids there have an affinity for Coral Gables. It has more to do with guys on our staff being from those areas. When was the last time there was anyone on the Miami staff with local ties? I GUARANTEEEEEEEE (in my best Charles Barkley voice) if Miami had someone on staff from a local powerhouse program they'd have a much better chance of landing some of the top local talent.

Last edited:
Some of what you say is true. There are HS players, parents & coaches down here who don't value Miami nor see them as a viable option for the next level, but please don't paint every prospect down here with the same brush. To excuse this staff from recruiting more players in Florida because of a select few is dumb. There are plenty of kids who'd love to have the opportunity to play in the ACC repping the orange & green.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't mind Miami going out of state for top talent. My beef with this staff is that over the last few years they've lost out on quality in-state kids because they're focusing on 3-star prospects from other areas. A kid like Kai Jones immediately comes to mind. He's one who would've loved to have had the opportunity to stay close to home had he had the opportunity. Unfortunately, Miami didn't start recruiting him until he went to Brewster Prep. By then it was too way too late. Coach Ham and Shaka were on him 2-3 years by then. There's no excuse for these kind of stories. The data has shown that Florida produces good basketball talent. This just isn't a football state anymore. The best basketball program in Florida realizes it. How much longer til this staff understands it?

By the way, main reason Miami does a better job in the DMV and northeast than they do in Florida is because of their ties to those areas. It's not because kids there have an affinity for Coral Gables. It has more to do with guys on our staff being from those areas. When was the last time there was anyone on the Miami staff with local ties? I GUARANTEEEEEEEE (in my best Charles Barkley voice) if Miami had someone on staff from a local powerhouse program they'd have a much better. chance of landing some of the top local talent.
There are countless in-state 3 star/low 4 star type prospects Miami never recruited or slow played. What @Canedude08 is arguing is we should ignore South Florida (and the entire state?) just because of a few prima donnas like Vernon Carey? That's **** poor logic.

Advertisement
We've missed the boat on most of the top 2023 in-state kids already. I hope this coaching staff can get it together in time for Edgerrin "Jizzle" James Jr. (son of the HOFer). It'd be a major embarrassment for this staff not to go after James, Jr. It's lame as **** to see other schools get on him before the U. If you ask folks in the Central Florida area they'll have you believe he's sure fire, can't miss prospect who many up there think is better than Marvel Allen (2023 commit to LSU). I wouldn't go that far, but will say James' recruitment has picked up over the last few months and he's generating some P5 interest. Many believe he's gearing up for a big spring/summer this year. Staff needs to get on him NOW!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back