2022 WR Erriyon Knighton

When you say cashing in before the olympics I need to see some endorsement numbers. I doubt a bunch of dudes on US track and field are making over a million dollars a year as 110 hurdler that hasn’t won anything. But it’s better than some Udfa that might never make squad and is relying on his speed only to catch balls.

Now if this young man can arguably be a top world sprinter and have a 10 year career I totally get it. That nfl career average is 3 years and being a high draft pick doesn’t guarantee longevity.
Maybe drew rosenhause can convince him that Nike is about to break off a 10 million signing bonus if he sticks with track. But is this kid as fast as the white lightning kid at uga? Cause if he isn't then he should stick to football.

whose the white lightning kid at UGa and how fast is he?

Advertisement
Wouldn’t it be equally as hard to make & stick in the NFL?
In this day & age..track athletes are cashing in well before Olympic dreams my man. Pro contract for sprinters from Nike, Puma, etc etc are pretty **** good...awesome even but you make great great points.

also, track will take him around the world..you can only play football in one country but we know football is king...tough decision for the kid.
Just to provide context. I was a 100m sprinter in college, 4x All Big 12. Both my coaches were olympians and I have a network of numerous elite profession track athletes both past and present.

I think it’s easier to make the NFL at 6’3 running a 4.3 low then to consistently place top 3 at World Championships/Olympics. I’ve seen countless NCAA champions who never make an Olympic team. Guys that have run 9.9 and under 20 in the 200m. Unless you place top 3 at a championship track deals are awful! One of my friends won 2016 USATF Olympic trials championship. Made the final in Rio but placed outside of the top 3.

For winning the US Trials you win $80k. New Balance offered him $125k Salary for three years plus unlimited gear and help with travel expenses. If you win the Olympics/world championship you win $100k. If you set a record you win an additional $150k. You can compete in the diamond league throughout the summer but the prize money is dependent upon winning. Each diamond league race the winner takes home $10k. The winner of the circuit wins $50k. There are 15 meets all around the world but typically you wouldn’t compete in more than 10 stops. So you’re winnings are usually capped at $150k. Note, that means you’re winning every race though.

This guy is elite and the most he ever made in one year was around $275K but since then he’s been basically making his salary as he’s dealt with injuries. This is best case scenario for a lot of pro track athletes. The other people I know aren’t making more than $40-50k a year. Track earnings are dominated by the top 2-4 people in the world at their respective event. Most run professionally for the love of the sport not the money.

One 4.2 high, 4.3 low at a combine will earn him more money in 1 contract than he would earn throughout an entire track career.

Just to provide context. I was a 100m sprinter in college, 4x All Big 12. Both my coaches were olympians and I have a network of numerous elite profession track athletes both past and present.

I think it’s easier to make the NFL at 6’3 running a 4.3 low then to consistently place top 3 at World Championships/Olympics. I’ve seen countless NCAA champions who never make an Olympic team. Guys that have run 9.9 and under 20 in the 200m. Unless you place top 3 at a championship track deals are awful! One of my friends won 2016 USATF Olympic trials championship. Made the final in Rio but placed outside of the top 3.

For winning the US Trials you win $80k. New Balance offered him $125k Salary for three years plus unlimited gear and help with travel expenses. If you win the Olympics/world championship you win $100k. If you set a record you win an additional $150k. You can compete in the diamond league throughout the summer but the prize money is dependent upon winning. Each diamond league race the winner takes home $10k. The winner of the circuit wins $50k. There are 15 meets all around the world but typically you wouldn’t compete in more than 10 stops. So you’re winnings are usually capped at $150k.

This guy is elite and the most he ever made in one year was around $275K but since then he’s been basically making his salary as he’s dealt with injuries. This is best case scenario for a lot of pro track athletes. The other people I know aren’t making more than $40-50k a year. Track earnings are dominated by the top 2-4 people in the world at their respective event. Most run professionally for the love of the sport not the money.

One 4.2 high, 4.3 low at a combine will earn him more money in 1 contract than he would earn throughout an entire track career.
This right here!!
You can be a reliable back up at a skill position for 10 years in The league and make more money. In track that speed runs out fast when 30 comes creeping up. If the money was there in track more kids would not play football but the amount just isn’t there.
I think some of the female European women make more money IG than they do in the track. Especially some of the Scandinavian girls.

I don’t think people realize how rare of a skill it is to be 6’2 and run a 4.3 as a football player. Look at Campbell for instance. He really hasn’t done jack sht at uga but people are still penciling him as a day one pick based on his size and speed alone and his position.
Henderson’s coach at Columbus even said his junior year that he was shocked that everyone was recruiting him at corner back despite cj not having one shred of film at the position.

edit: and I also do t think people realize how cut throat it is in track where one or two races can set you back a year and cost you tremendous amounts of money. People truly don’t understand how close some of these top athletes are in speed. A bad run of a few tenths cause you were sick or were dealing with a small injury can be costly.

Advertisement

For winning the US Trials you win $80k. New Balance offered him $125k Salary for three years plus unlimited gear and help with travel expenses. If you win the Olympics/world championship you win $100k. If you set a record you win an additional $150k. You can compete in the diamond league throughout the summer but the prize money is dependent upon winning. Each diamond league race the winner takes home $10k. The winner of the circuit wins $50k. There are 15 meets all around the world but typically you wouldn’t compete in more than 10 stops. So you’re winnings are usually capped at $150k. Note, that means you’re winning every race though.

I suspected that was the case but had no clue about the numbers.
Appreciate the insight!

I suspected that was the case but had no clue about the numbers.
Appreciate the insight!
The way I look at it is the only people who make true money in track are the equivalent of the All-Pro NFL players. Hall of Fame type individuals.

Last thing I’ll say about this. Tyreke Hill ran 10.19 and 20.1 in high school. He’s widely regarded as the fastest person in the NFL. He ran in college and placed 5th at NCAA championship. The guy who won is a beast but is nowhere to be found on the World Track scene. The competition in American sprinting is unreal and there’s level to this ish. To be a top 3 sprinter in the world you have to be one of the fastest humans ever! Lots of dudes in the NFL that are good not great. That’s not the case for US Olympians.

Last edited:
With a time like that he's not going to play football
I’ve heard people make similar claims with track athletes many times on this forum before. Do Olympic track athletes make that much money?
I understand the prestige and no guarantee of making the NFL but would a kid with NFL potential really rather run track than possibly play WR in the NFL? Just asking b/c I have no idea about careers in Track and field.

Advertisement
The way I look at it is the only people who make true money in track are the equivalent of the All-Pro NFL players. Hall of Fame type individuals.

Last thing I’ll say about this. Tyreke Hill ran 10.19 and 20.1 in high school. He’s widely regarded as the fastest person in the NFL. He ran in college and placed 5th at NCAA championship. The guy who won is a beast but is nowhere to be found on the World Track scene. The competition in American sprinting is unreal and there’s level to this ish. To be a top 3 sprinter in the world you have to be one of the fastest humans ever! Lots of dudes in the NFL that are good not great. That’s not the case for US Olympians.
Excuse my ignorance but Do track athletes (minus Bolt) make anywhere near Tyreek Hill money? Just curious, b/c I have no idea. I would think their careers are pretty short too.

He'd make way more money playing football than he ever would as a track athlete.

And how do you know if he wants to play Football in college or just become a pro track star?

Tyreek Hill could've been a professional track athlete too, he was running 10.18 100m & 20.14 200m in HS & actually medaled in World Junior Championships & he still played football. Phillip Dorsett was running 10.5's in the 100 & 21's in the 200 & he still played football. Anthony Schwartz was a Gold medalist in the World U20 championships & a the Pan American U20, he ran a 10.15 in the 100m in HS & 20.47 in the 200m, still playing college football.
Thanks LCE.. This makes sense to me. And I too heard the same being said about Swartz, Demps and a handful of other players. I know next to nothing about track, why I asked 2x in this thread how much track athletes earn and why a potential NFL player would consider track if they had a just a chance of NFL money, fame and pension. I would think if you were a good football player with world class speed it would be a no brained.

I’ve heard people make similar claims with track athletes many times on this forum before. Do Olympic track athletes make that much money?
I understand the prestige and no guarantee of making the NFL but would a kid with NFL potential really rather run track than possibly play WR in the NFL? Just asking b/c I have no idea about careers in Track and field.

At his age he's running some times that are U.S Olympic qualifying. He's form and getting out the blocks aren't great so he is only going to get better. He could potentially he the U.S version of Usain Bolt if he continues to progress. He may actually focus of football and leave track alone

My nephew Erriyon is 6'0 165 probably will go full-time running Track that is his focus now at Hillsborough high school. Things may change but the family has focused on him on track no football.
More money in football unless he #1 in world in track.. He has the talent it seems right now tho, good luck to him. Will keep up with him regardless, seems like generational talent

Advertisement

Lots of 6’3 4.3 guys running around that can’t play dead in a Western movie let alone football...like I said..you make great points but football ain’t guaranteed to be a payday just bc your fast.

There's no age restriction. Just make your country's Olympic Team. Remember Nadia Comaneci? 14 when she won all those gold medals. The U.S. just had Sydney McLaughlin competing during the Rio games the summer before her junior year. Yes to your second part also. McLaughlin runs for Kentucky right now. Remember it's all "amateur athletics"....
McLaughlin turned pro in 2018 brotha

Advertisement
Lots of 6’3 4.3 guys running around that can’t play dead in a Western movie let alone football...like I said..you make great points but football ain’t guaranteed to be a payday just bc your fast.
“Lots of 6’3 4.3 guys running around”
1599084918839.gif

There are no guarantees in sports. His film is solid for his age. But a decision has to be made. If the goal is to run track professionally then you’re betting on yourself to become the fastest person in the world. You never know what that may mean in track. That could literally mean you need to become the fastest person ever dependent on your competition. The kid is fast but he’s nowhere near professionals.

With that said, he’s special. He’s running very similar times to Noah Lyles at the same age. And the US needs elite sprinters to stay in the sport. I would love to see his progression.

IMO Being the fastest person in the world is a bigger task than having a decent college football career, get an invite to the combine and running a 4.3 40. I would be willing to bet 6 foot anything 4.3 forty at the combine will get you drafted over 90% of the time.

There are no guarantees in sports. His film is solid for his age. But a decision has to be made. If the goal is to run track professionally then you’re betting on yourself to become the fastest person in the world. You never know what that may mean in track. That could literally mean you need to become the fastest person ever dependent on your competition.
Decision has been made bc LIKE I TOLD YOU EARLIER IN THIS THREAD....the dollars are so so so so much better now. I tried to tell you...you did not want to listen and gave me examples of old *** Olympians...we are in 2020 and I am telling you this from direct knowledge.

The kid is fast but he’s nowhere near professionals.
Then why is he beating professionals? Was Tamari Davis beating professionals...she still went pro right? You're looking like a real hater.
IMO Being the fastest person in the world is a bigger task than having a decent college football career, get an invite to the combine and running a 4.3 40. I would be willing to bet 6 foot anything 4.3 forty at the combine will get you drafted over 90% of the time.
You mean play cfb for FREE, go to the combine for FREE, hope he gets drafted to make what exactly? When he can go pro at 17 and make great money (maybe even more) by the time he is 21-22 than he would in his first NFL contract...assuming he isn't a #1 overall pick.

Yall love telling our kids to go and do the free **** that make other folks money....it's time to get paid...fck cfb and "the system" when you're running that fast.

My nephew Erriyon is 6'0 165 probably will go full-time running Track that is his focus now at Hillsborough high school. Things may change but the family has focused on him on track no football.
He is definitely way past 6'0...if that's truly you're nephew then you'd know that.

Advertisement
Back