2022 SS/RHP Nazier Mule on his commitment to UM

View as article
I disagree. I learned absolutely nothing playing D-1 college baseball. Why? Because my high school coach taught me everything I know about the game. He played AAA baseball as a catcher. He tought us things about playing the game that they weren't even teaching in college. His son Jeff Clement played college ball at USC. He broke Mark McGwire's single season USC homerun record. Clement hit 75 homeruns in high school. A national record to this day. He was drafted in the 1st round (#3 overall) by Seattle and played 4 years in MLB before retiring due to injuries. He was a catcher like his dad.

So, it's not about the number of coaches. It's about getting your message to the players and then holding them accountable to how they execute what you want them to do. If we made the base running blunders we've seen with this team, you'd be sitting on the bench the next inning no matter what. Do what we teach you or sit. My high school team was a machine. We were very disciplined in every detail. You had to wear your hat a certain way. We sprinted on and off the field. If one person was jogging, the coach made us run back to the field and sprint in again. We did this in game and in practice. Our practices only lasted not much more than an hour during the season because nobody walked and stations were set up that everyone rotated every few minutes. That's the way my coach ran his program. I'm not saying that's how every program needs to be run. You have to be an effective communicator and hold kids accountable. Then you have predictable success.
Amen!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back