2022 season outlook

SinCityCane

Recruit
We have one of the best quarterbacks in the country. He has unlimited potential and a great support staff of coaches and former players to help him along the way, not to mention an accurate rocket for an arm and a natural propensity to put the ball up in the best spot for his receiver.

We should mostly agree that we're stacked at running back and TE. Mallory was one of the top TE's in his class, has all the experience and has produced when he's been in and called upon. He could be due for a breakout season (I think he's on a preseason award watch list or two). Arroyo and Skinner behind him are running **** near 22 miles an hour, I can only imagine some of the stuff that can be drawn up with one or both of them in the game. If Chaney stays healthy he's elite, Citizen is a future star, & there are three other guys in our backfield who could start on a lot of P5 teams. Nelson, Rivers, and Clark are strong; while the other two spots on the OL aren't settled yet, we have one of the best OL coaches in the country & a former OL as head coach. That's what I call a tag team (not the rappers, though Mirabal & Cristo were probably jamming out to Whoomp There It Is at the old Columbus house parties and possibly rehashed it in one of their offices sometime early last December. Unconfirmed). Mauigoa - the top OL recruit in the country who just committed - referred to what he saw here as "OL heaven". There are other guys with talent that are going to play better than they've played before, not to mention newcomers like Sagapolu & Denis who can make an impact. The Oline will be at least better than average, if not a strength. All of the above coached by the top offensive coordinator in the country from 2021. That alone should be enough to field a **** of a potent offense, & while there might be some questions to be answered at WR, we have plenty of talent & newcomers with potential in Young and Horton, plus the addition of Ladson on top of the solid group we already had. Let's not forget that a great quarterback and strong running game makes life easy on WRs (Rambo didn't even get drafted, though I think he'll turn some heads in the league). I'm not worried in the least about WR.

On defense, the DL is appropriately starting to be discussed as one of the strengths of the team due to its depth and overall talent. I believe they'll wear teams out, especially if Taylor and Jackson step up in the middle, & Steele will draw up whatever pressure necessary to keep opposing quarterbacks from being comfortable if the D line can't get pressure on its own...he knows his stuff. But don't underestimate Harvey's potential emergence with better coaching or the impact Mesidor & Agude will have. If you asked me a few months ago what the strength of this defense is, I'd have immediately said the secondary. Since then, we've added some talent in Porter, and Cristobal just referred to Couch as our best DB...which is great to hear considering how good I know the other starters are & can be in Stephenson, JWill, Kinchens & Avantae. Linebacker has questions like receiver does, but is coached by one of the best & most highly qualified position coaches in the country in Strong and added an instant starter at MLB in Caleb Johnson. [Edited to mention the fact that I can't wait to see what Bissainthe will do in this defense, which I talked about in another thread...I think he's our most talented LB]. Kevin Steele is a tried and tested defensive coordinator who has consistently fielded one of the top defenses in the SEC & will know how to get the best out of what we have.

We have the best punter and one of the top kickers in the country.

Basically, I think a lot of us and many in the media and around the country are severely underestimating what this team is capable of this year, especially considering the way the schedule lines up and the momentum that can be generated with a strong start to the season with a win at A&M (I'll be there to watch it in person...thank you John Ruiz/LifeWallet!). I just don't see it taking much time at all for this team to take that next step. I don't think our players and coaches do either. I think the ACC title and a CFP appearance are well within reach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Except for a few exceptions, we basically have the same team we had last year. However, the overall coaching staff that Mario has assembled is second to none, and they will develop and coach basically the same team that Manny had, but will do a much, much better job with basically the same players than Manny and his staff ever would have. Without drinking the koolaid, I have to believe we will be at least 9-3, but probably 10-2, and if we start 3-0, there will be no limit.

Except for a few exceptions, we basically have the same team we had last year. However, the overall coaching staff that Mario has assembled is second to none, and they will develop and coach basically the same team that Manny had, but will do a much, much better job with basically the same players than Manny and his staff ever would have. Without drinking the koolaid, I have to believe we will be at least 9-3, but probably 10-2, and if we start 3-0, there will be no limit.
Glad you agree with my conclusion, but this is far from the same team as last year. The DL for one is a different animal (3 potential new starters)...that on its own is a game changer. Colby Young and/or Frank Ladson will play big roles...every WR that can contribute is a difference maker considering who we have behind center. Porter should play substantially. We'll be hearing a lot of new names being called every weekend.

Advertisement
9-3, regular season. ACC Coastal Champs, and win rematch with Clemson. ACC/Orange Bowl win.

The ‘hot take’ is we play Penn State in the OB at Hard Rock, and run a train on Manny ‘D‘-***. Who, oddly, accepted the Boston College HC job earlier in the week but wanted to finish the season. Miami 59, Penn State 13. Heisman finalist Tyler Van Dyke throws 4TDs. Canes roll up nearly 300 on the ground. The “Steele’ curtain scores one for good measure. HOT!

Strong finish leading into 2023.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Would you really wanna be a team playing against us this year?
Depends on the team. There's a handful of teams that would not be afraid to play us that are perennial contenders.
By next year I think even those teams might not want to play us after we establish ourselves this season.

You guys are dreaming if you don’t still see holes on this squad. 1 additional win from last season is all I’m hoping for.

Mario is building us back, but double digit wins in year 1? That’s set up for disappointment.

Too many people are counting out UNC, VT and yes even UVA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't get your hopes up too much. I said in another thread there are still a few holes on this team, on top of that everything and everyone is brand new. Clemson & UNC aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Advertisement
I have a feeling we ******* this year!

Mario operation is elite and is taking over a hungry bunch of guys that now have catalogued one full season and +2 offseason together.

Staff and amount support along with the efficiencies to adjust from game to game is something that other ACC teams aren’t ready for other than Clemson.

Real bullish on this team!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back