2022 season outlook

Advertisement
Here's what I see: last year's team, behind that underqualified staph, and with more question marks than this year's team has, was only a few plays away from going 10-2 against (arguably) a tougher schedule than this season's, particularly when you consider the overall strength of the rest of the ACC...which lost a few starting QBs. We've made significant upgrades to the roster and the coaching staff...which means we now have a real defensive scheme and not Manny's Tecmo Bowl defense. TVD is a year older and now has experience as the team's leader. The energy around the program is undeniable. Yeah it's a new staff and scheme, but continuity didn't matter when we were losing to App State in the 2nd half at home last year. This should look like a well-oiled machine at some point this season. If the team can gel in training camp and the first two games...a win at A&M could do unspeakable things for the momentum I mentioned and the '23 recruiting class. Regardless, I just don't see 3 or 4 losses. Teams have done some very big things with just an elite QB and less talent than we have on this squad.

Last edited:
Look at the QBs we play, are any of them better than TVD or equal? Armstrong from UVA is just as good but we will have the QB advantage going into every game. I just hope Mario doesn’t handcuff him too much. The UNC game will tell me a lot about this team, how will they react to the A&M game just a few weeks prior. How much of the bad habits from the Diaz regime are still in this team? I’d fee a lot better about this team if we had a dependable WR.

Gonna have to say I disagree a ton with what several have been saying in this thread. Prior to Mario I had 3 concerns towards the end of last season (once it was apparent that season was washed) regarding the upcoming season (this season)

1. Typical ****** coaching
2. A potentially BAD front 7 with not much talent and very little depth
3. Typical ****** coaching

#1 and #3 are a thing of the past. We have an NFL caliber quarterback and #2 has been completely mitigated by the assault on the transfer portal by Mario upon arrival. Just having a competent DC is a HUGE step forward and we have talent in the secondary. The defense is going to be sneaky good.

On offense, the aforementioned future NFL QB with a nice stable of running backs and what should be above average O-line. We've got a nice set of tight ends as well. WR has talent, but it needs to blossom and take a step forward. WR is easily the biggest question mark on this team.

Take everything I've typed above, throw it into the ol blender and then realize we play in the ****** *** ACC.

There are absolutely zero excuses for this team not winning A MINIMUM of nine games. Anyone predicting less than this given our team and our schedule has SERIOUS PTSD. Trust me I get it. We've had THE most incompetent set of apathetic baboons running this program for so long that it becomes impossible to distinguish this new reality/dimension we've entered from the last two decades of amateur hour. Get over it fellas...this is going to be a dangerous team.

I'm honestly expecting ten wins, and I don't think that's being overly optimistic or a blind fan. Many of you guys know I've probably been the king of the mopes or at the very least a realist on these boards since they were created.....but for the first time in a long time I'm ready to open up and let the optimism flow in.

Minimum of nine wins. Anything less than that (outside of an injury to TVD) and realist Jedi will be making another appearance asking some tough questions. This staff from top to bottom is easily the best staff in the ACC. It's time to return to the limelight and finally win this **** conference. You do that, and you just might F around and steal that last playoff spot. Either way, that Clemson team is totally beatable and we should at the very least give them a serious scare in the ACCCG.

Advertisement
WR position still worries me and feel like it’s going to limit us. 8-4 or 9-3

Not making any predictions, just observing thru old eyes. But the feel of the coming season is similar to the feel pre “83”. Potential first round QB, RB room waiting their chances and a mix of upper classmen and kids Howard was pulling from SoFla. There was anticipation and hope. It feels the same. Let’s hope our history will repeat itself. Go Canes #CANESNATIONLIFER

Advertisement
More than 10 wins is unrealistic while fewer than 9 would be a disappointment.

Hiring all these new coaches and bringing in all these transfers while spending a ton of money on upgrading the program better result in more than a one win improvement.

9-3, regular season. ACC Coastal Champs, and win rematch with Clemson. ACC/Orange Bowl win.

The ‘hot take’ is we play Penn State in the OB at Hard Rock, and run a train on Manny ‘D‘-***. Who, oddly, accepted the Boston College HC job earlier in the week but wanted to finish the season. Miami 59, Penn State 13. Heisman finalist Tyler Van Dyke throws 4TDs. Canes roll up nearly 300 on the ground. The “Steele’ curtain scores one for good measure. HOT!

Strong finish leading into 2023.
rick james cocaine GIF

Manny's next HC job is in the CUSA

To think we have TVD with experience from playing last year, add a starting MLB, more depth on DL, secondary experienced with young safeties getting a year under their belt, some of the best coaches in the country and only improve by 1 win???

Go back and watch the schemes our D were playing. Steele is 100X better than Manny as a DC. I don’t think you guys realize how much of a tougher and better tackling defence you’ll see this year. If they don’t I guarantee they’ll be sitting on the bench.

I think a lot of people are underestimating just how big a difference the new staff should make. Thinking back to last year the team was terribly managed. Playing a hurt QB with bum upper classmen and leaving better players on the bench led to an un motivated team. Just tackling better would have won a minimum two more games. This should be a different team mentally and physically. Add in the talent advantage we should have in probably 9 of the games.. I expect those wins. Shouldn't be less than 10-2 with an improved D and the physicality I expect to see now that mandy is gone. Yes the team has holes but we play in the corstal.. every team has holes, it's up to the coaches to mitigate those weaknesses. We have the best coaching staff in the coastal easily.

Advertisement
I think a lot of people are underestimating just how big a difference the new staff should make. Thinking back to last year the team was terribly managed. Playing a hurt QB with bum upper classmen and leaving better players on the bench led to an un motivated team. Just tackling better would have won a minimum two more games. This should be a different team mentally and physically. Add in the talent advantage we should have in probably 9 of the games.. I expect those wins. Shouldn't be less than 10-2 with an improved D and the physicality I expect to see now that mandy is gone. Yes the team has holes but we play in the corstal.. every team has holes, it's up to the coaches to mitigate those weaknesses. We have the best coaching staff in the coastal easily.
TVD is the key, every year you see good QB’s take average teams on their back, if he doesn’t suffer a sophomore slump I expect him to do the same.

The only way I see this team flopping (besides injuries at key positions) is if the offense goes backwards. There is zero doubt in my mind that the defense will be improved. They might not be great but just being average would be a big step up from the last two years. Now if the offense tries to play like we have the best offensive line in the nation and a quarterback with a noodle arm, any improvement made by the defense will be for naught.

Advertisement
I think it depends on how we finish up camp and roll into the first 2-3 games. If guys are healthy and no unexpected injuries and we win the first 3, it can be a special year. A new coach, great staff, and a lot of positive energy. Realistically, we may drop an unexpected game. I see us winning 9 to 10 games and coastal champions at a minimum. Maybe even 11 wins but would be very disappointed with less than 9 wins.

Gonna have to say I disagree a ton with what several have been saying in this thread. Prior to Mario I had 3 concerns towards the end of last season (once it was apparent that season was washed) regarding the upcoming season (this season)

1. Typical ****** coaching
2. A potentially BAD front 7 with not much talent and very little depth
3. Typical ****** coaching

#1 and #3 are a thing of the past. We have an NFL caliber quarterback and #2 has been completely mitigated by the assault on the transfer portal by Mario upon arrival. Just having a competent DC is a HUGE step forward and we have talent in the secondary. The defense is going to be sneaky good.

On offense, the aforementioned future NFL QB with a nice stable of running backs and what should be above average O-line. We've got a nice set of tight ends as well. WR has talent, but it needs to blossom and take a step forward. WR is easily the biggest question mark on this team.

Take everything I've typed above, throw it into the ol blender and then realize we play in the ****** *** ACC.

There are absolutely zero excuses for this team not winning A MINIMUM of nine games. Anyone predicting less than this given our team and our schedule has SERIOUS PTSD. Trust me I get it. We've had THE most incompetent set of apathetic baboons running this program for so long that it becomes impossible to distinguish this new reality/dimension we've entered from the last two decades of amateur hour. Get over it fellas...this is going to be a dangerous team.

I'm honestly expecting ten wins, and I don't think that's being overly optimistic or a blind fan. Many of you guys know I've probably been the king of the mopes or at the very least a realist on these boards since they were created.....but for the first time in a long time I'm ready to open up and let the optimism flow in.

Minimum of nine wins. Anything less than that (outside of an injury to TVD) and realist Jedi will be making another appearance asking some tough questions. This staff from top to bottom is easily the best staff in the ACC. It's time to return to the limelight and finally win this **** conference. You do that, and you just might F around and steal that last playoff spot. Either way, that Clemson team is totally beatable and we should at the very least give them a serious scare in the ACCCG.
Fix the tackling, fix the penalties and I’m good for this season. We’ll really take off in 2023 onward…

Don't ever forget, Manny Diaz was 8 points away from going 10-2 last season. The other loss, to Michigan State, was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter.

I don't know what this team will do but they have the ability to win games.
I hate these comments. Manny went 7-5. Stop with the shouda couda wouda. The staff was awful and we got our record because we were a 7-5 team

Advertisement
Back