2022 season outlook

That team last year was technically a 9 win team. (save for a missed chip shot FG against UVA and a 4th and 17 flop against FSU)

So I am not understanding the folks who say they would be okay if we just had a 1 game improvement from last season at 8-4.

9-3 should be the expected record. No excuses. We are basically conceding two losses to the toughest opponents on the schedule (Clemson and TAMU) and handing this team another loss to a team we probably have no business losing to. (UNC, UVA or Pitt?)

We go 8-4 and that recruiting momentum starts to slow down. We still end up with a top 12 class but not the top 7 class we had all predicted.
Also could’ve lost several games we won last year.

Advertisement
I love how people bring up that 4th and 14 excuse. We didn’t stop them because our coaches were terrible and our defense couldn’t make a play. In the Virginia game, people miss field goals all the time. It’s football. All of that is like saying that if Vanderbilt had too 5 recruiting classes, they would win the sec. It’s like saying that FSU would have gone 10-4 if their kicker didn’t miss that FG in 2002. Stop using excuses these “shoulda coulda woulda” excuses to justify our record. We went 7-5. Plain and simple
I’m not trying to justify the record. I guess I’m trying to justify that the talent on the team was superior to that of other/most 7-5 teams. Which, again, relates to op’s topic - how we will fare this season (with better coaches).

Also, those aren’t excuses - they’re simply statements of fact. I’m not really playing in complex hypotheticals, either (like saying if Vandy has a top 5 class… that’s nonsense). Those two plays determined the final outcome of those two games, and neither play required any type of assumption. They were binary. Make chip shot fg = win. Stop 4th 14 = win. We failed, both times. And that is a direct reflection on the quality of the coaching staff. No arguments there. No participation trophy. No shoulda coulda or woulda. Still, it’s fair to point out that simple execution on two very routine plays would have changed our record last season.

Some teams are better than what their record shows (and some are worse). Obviously. But you can keep on keepin on with your Parcells thing, if you must.

100/1 on Fanduel.

I don't see why I shouldn't throw (away?) $100 on that.
2010 Auburn with Cam was the last team to come out of nowhere to win the Natty.

"Nowhere" meaning fringe top-25 team.
They beat 3 top-12 teams in their first 8 games to jump into the Natty picture.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m not trying to justify the record. I guess I’m trying to justify that the talent on the team was superior to that of other/most 7-5 teams. Which, again, relates to op’s topic - how we will fare this season (with better coaches).

Also, those aren’t excuses - they’re simply statements of fact. I’m not really playing in complex hypotheticals, either (like saying if Vandy has a top 5 class… that’s nonsense). Those two plays determined the final outcome of those two games, and neither play required any type of assumption. They were binary. Make chip shot fg = win. Stop 4th 14 = win. We failed, both times. And that is a direct reflection on the quality of the coaching staff. No arguments there. No participation trophy. No shoulda coulda or woulda. Still, it’s fair to point out that simple execution on two very routine plays would have changed our record last season.

Some teams are better than what their record shows (and some are worse). Obviously. But you can keep on keepin on with your Parcells thing, if you must.
How is a missed fg directly related to the coaching staff. Also getting blown in coverage on a 4th and 10 is more on the defense than the coaching staff in my opinion. Maybe the Vanderbilt example was bad, but the two fsu field goals jn 00 and 02 are the same as this year. My point is that it’s football and people make plays in clutch situation

Gonna have to say I disagree a ton with what several have been saying in this thread. Prior to Mario I had 3 concerns towards the end of last season (once it was apparent that season was washed) regarding the upcoming season (this season)

1. Typical ****** coaching
2. A potentially BAD front 7 with not much talent and very little depth
3. Typical ****** coaching

#1 and #3 are a thing of the past. We have an NFL caliber quarterback and #2 has been completely mitigated by the assault on the transfer portal by Mario upon arrival. Just having a competent DC is a HUGE step forward and we have talent in the secondary. The defense is going to be sneaky good.

On offense, the aforementioned future NFL QB with a nice stable of running backs and what should be above average O-line. We've got a nice set of tight ends as well. WR has talent, but it needs to blossom and take a step forward. WR is easily the biggest question mark on this team.

Take everything I've typed above, throw it into the ol blender and then realize we play in the ****** *** ACC.

There are absolutely zero excuses for this team not winning A MINIMUM of nine games. Anyone predicting less than this given our team and our schedule has SERIOUS PTSD. Trust me I get it. We've had THE most incompetent set of apathetic baboons running this program for so long that it becomes impossible to distinguish this new reality/dimension we've entered from the last two decades of amateur hour. Get over it fellas...this is going to be a dangerous team.

I'm honestly expecting ten wins, and I don't think that's being overly optimistic or a blind fan. Many of you guys know I've probably been the king of the mopes or at the very least a realist on these boards since they were created.....but for the first time in a long time I'm ready to open up and let the optimism flow in.

Minimum of nine wins. Anything less than that (outside of an injury to TVD) and realist Jedi will be making another appearance asking some tough questions. This staff from top to bottom is easily the best staff in the ACC. It's time to return to the limelight and finally win this **** conference. You do that, and you just might F around and steal that last playoff spot. Either way, that Clemson team is totally beatable and we should at the very least give them a serious scare in the ACCCG.

this is true, you've always splashed a bucket of cold water on all start-of-the-season glittery predictions. you have now become an optimist!

#progress

That team last year was technically a 9 win team. (save for a missed chip shot FG against UVA and a 4th and 17 flop against FSU)

So I am not understanding the folks who say they would be okay if we just had a 1 game improvement from last season at 8-4.

9-3 should be the expected record. No excuses. We are basically conceding two losses to the toughest opponents on the schedule (Clemson and TAMU) and handing this team another loss to a team we probably have no business losing to. (UNC, UVA or Pitt?)

We go 8-4 and that recruiting momentum starts to slow down. We still end up with a top 12 class but not the top 7 class we had all predicted.

and Miami barely beat App State (one score win), barely beat NC St (1 point win), barely beat Pitt by 4 points (errant INT by Pickett at the end), and barely beat Gt Tech by 3 points, we could have been a 3 win team last year

Last edited:
How is a missed fg directly related to the coaching staff. Also getting blown in coverage on a 4th and 10 is more on the defense than the coaching staff in my opinion. Maybe the Vanderbilt example was bad, but the two fsu field goals jn 00 and 02 are the same as this year. My point is that it’s football and people make plays in clutch situation
Continually failing to execute on routine plays would be a reflection of a poor staff, imo.

Agreed - good, well coached teams perform well when it matters most - not us last year. Here's to things changing.

But, again, simply saying "you are what your record says" (though a truism) doesn't exactly answer any questions/respond to any points posited in this thread. All it really shows is that Manny Diaz was a bad coach (something no one here is debating).

Advertisement
I believe Miami has 7 "easy" wins and 2 likely losses, leaving IMO 3 50/50 games. Miami IMO likely wins 2 out of 3 for a 9 win season. see below
2022 PREDICTIONS.PNG

Continually failing to execute on routine plays would be a reflection of a poor staff, imo.

Agreed - good, well coached teams perform well when it matters most - not us last year. Here's to things changing.

But, again, simply saying "you are what your record says" (though a truism) doesn't exactly answer any questions/respond to any points posited in this thread. All it really shows is that Manny Diaz was a bad coach (something no one here is debating).
I agree that are talent wasn’t as bad as our record indicated. I am just saying don’t say “we were basically a 10 win team”. We didn’t have the coaching staff to win 10 games. Those games against fsu and Virginia shouldn’t have been close. Those two plays didn’t define our problems

OK, maybe I did drink the Koolaid because I can’t see the NC, VT and VA games being “50/50”. I think the key to our season will be our third game. It will have a carry-over effect on the rest of the year, a huge potential confidence builder, such that if we start 3-0, we will finish the regular season at 11-1 or 12-0. I haven’t looked, but wonder where LSU was ranked pre-season when they most recently won the Natty.

Advertisement
A & M, Clemson, UNC, and Pitt should be the biggest tests on the schedule. UVA usually plays us tough and Mario's teams in Oregon had the tendency to play down to an opponent or two per season. Hoping that gets rectified. I see 7 guaranteed W's. I have us penciled in at 9-3.

Advertisement
OK, maybe I did drink the Koolaid because I can’t see the NC, VT and VA games being “50/50”. I think the key to our season will be our third game. It will have a carry-over effect on the rest of the year, a huge potential confidence builder, such that if we start 3-0, we will finish the regular season at 11-1 or 12-0. I haven’t looked, but wonder where LSU was ranked pre-season when they most recently won the Natty.

Last year’s team really was an enigma. Literally a couple plays away from 10-2, and a couple from 5-7 or worse.

As has been the case many years now, Miami will go out on the field with as much or more talent than almost every team on the schedule. Definite advantage that we will have the best quarterback every time we take the field, at least that’s the notion.

Not so much for game day decisions, but I think having a real coaching staff during the off-season is worth a couple of wins just by itself.

9-3.

Advertisement
Back