2022 season outlook

There’s no reason we shouldn’t go 10-2. I think we can also go 1-1 vs. Clemson & A&M. Clemson and A&M will be the only two games that we’re not favored in.

Having an elite QB changes the outlook, big time. If we had an unknown at QB, I’d say this is an 8-4/9-3 team. With a Top Ten pick under center, this team will compete. Start off 3-0, somehow, and we’ll have the best season we’ve had since 2003.

Advertisement
10-2 +/- 1 game. We go 1-2 against A&M, Clemson and UNC. Or we go 2-1 and some less talented team shocks us. I do not see us losing more than 3 games.

Talent: Our talent is 2nd only to Clemson, with UNC being roughly our equal. I verified that based on 247 composite team class rankings from 2018 to 2022. If you're looking at talent alone, we are a 1-2 loss team, 2-3 including A&M. No one else is really even close, which is why I think these are the only real threats to Miami given we finally have a top-flight coaching staff.

Coaching: Mario's staff is far and away better than any in the ACC. You could argue Clemson is an unknown because Dabo promoted from within. But that almost never ends well. Mack Brown has always been a better program manager than developmental coach, much less game day coach. Same with Jimbo. Respectfully, I don't see anyone on their staffs that rival Steele, Strong and Gattis.

QB: UNC and A&M are replacing their starting QBs. They have talent but no one proven. Clemson may or may not be starting a new QB by the time we play. But if they go with Uiagalelei, he is nowhere near as complete a QB as TVD. And if they go with the alternative, they're starting a true freshman.

Schedule: A&M has a couple powder-puffs like us before we play them. They will have a massive homefield advantage. Only positive for us is that means their new QB will still be untested and hopefully tosses up a few picks as a result. ... UNC has to play Notre Dame and Va Tech in consecutive games prior to playing us at home at Hard Rock Stadium. We have a bye. Huge advantage to Miami. I expect us to win that game. ... Clemson plays Notre Dame and Louisville before facing us, we play FSU then Ga Tech. Neither has a bye. We should be fresher than them. But an away game in Death Valley means they have a big advantage.

We've lost to lesser teams in past years. Pitt (new QB) Va Tech (new HC with no prior HC experience), Virginia (new head coach with no prior HC experience) could surprise us. But I would be hugely disappointed if so. It would be a coaching failure on Miami's part, IMHO. And we should never lose to Duke or Ga Tech again.

Advertisement
Would you really wanna be a team playing against us this year?
Terrence Ross Wow GIF

Gonna have to say I disagree a ton with what several have been saying in this thread. Prior to Mario I had 3 concerns towards the end of last season (once it was apparent that season was washed) regarding the upcoming season (this season)

1. Typical ****** coaching
2. A potentially BAD front 7 with not much talent and very little depth
3. Typical ****** coaching

#1 and #3 are a thing of the past. We have an NFL caliber quarterback and #2 has been completely mitigated by the assault on the transfer portal by Mario upon arrival. Just having a competent DC is a HUGE step forward and we have talent in the secondary. The defense is going to be sneaky good.

On offense, the aforementioned future NFL QB with a nice stable of running backs and what should be above average O-line. We've got a nice set of tight ends as well. WR has talent, but it needs to blossom and take a step forward. WR is easily the biggest question mark on this team.

Take everything I've typed above, throw it into the ol blender and then realize we play in the ****** *** ACC.

There are absolutely zero excuses for this team not winning A MINIMUM of nine games. Anyone predicting less than this given our team and our schedule has SERIOUS PTSD. Trust me I get it. We've had THE most incompetent set of apathetic baboons running this program for so long that it becomes impossible to distinguish this new reality/dimension we've entered from the last two decades of amateur hour. Get over it fellas...this is going to be a dangerous team.

I'm honestly expecting ten wins, and I don't think that's being overly optimistic or a blind fan. Many of you guys know I've probably been the king of the mopes or at the very least a realist on these boards since they were created.....but for the first time in a long time I'm ready to open up and let the optimism flow in.

Minimum of nine wins. Anything less than that (outside of an injury to TVD) and realist Jedi will be making another appearance asking some tough questions. This staff from top to bottom is easily the best staff in the ACC. It's time to return to the limelight and finally win this **** conference. You do that, and you just might F around and steal that last playoff spot. Either way, that Clemson team is totally beatable and we should at the very least give them a serious scare in the ACCCG.
I wish #1 and #3 were a thing of the past

Advertisement
Back