2022 season outlook

WR position still worries me and feel like it’s going to limit us. 8-4 or 9-3
Agree on the likely underwhelming WR position. However, the run game is going to open the pass, especially if the TEs are getting open and catching balls on the waggle and play action. That should leave the WRs wide open for chunk yardage. Last year we used the pass to open up the run. This should be a way different team if we execute correctly.

Advertisement
Agree on the likely underwhelming WR position. However, the run game is going to open the pass, especially if the TEs are getting open and catching balls on the waggle and play action. That should leave the WRs wide open for chunk yardage. Last year we used the pass to open up the run. This should be a way different team if we execute correctly.
Agreed, they will have plenty of opportunities. I just don’t know if our WR can win 1 on 1 consistently and then catch the ball when they do.

I hate these comments. Manny went 7-5. Stop with the shouda couda wouda. The staff was awful and we got our record because we were a 7-5 team

So you think a team that goes 7-5 and losses all their games by 20 points is the same as a team that goes 7-5 and losses all their games by 1 point?

And when a new, better coach takes over those teams you don't think it would be easier to change the record of the 2nd team?

I hate these comments. Manny went 7-5. Stop with the shouda couda wouda. The staff was awful and we got our record because we were a 7-5 team
Two things can be true at the same time. Last year's staff was awful and the team was a disaster in more ways than one. We were also just a few points away from a 10 win season (11 if we'd have also played & won a bowl game...imagine that). I think a lot of us are confusing the talent disparity between us and couple of the elite rosters (Bama, UGA, maybe OSU) with our ability to win 10+ games and the ACC, a feat which I think puts a CFP appearance within reach.

Advertisement
Over/under of 8.5 looks right to me. I see 4 sure wins, 2-3 probable wins, 2-3 coin flip type games, 2 likely losses. We need a couple more top ten type classes and wins over the ACC teams in slots 4-8 before I expect 10 wins in earnest.

WR position still worries me and feel like it’s going to limit us. 8-4 or 9-3
WR position will surprise some people. Don't forget Skinner ... was praised for his skill set ... he is light yet and will be frequently used on the outside as a WR ... kid is elite. Also Restrepo ... reliable and working hard. The JUCO has size and goes for the ball ... and I expect a couple of the other 4* highly recruited players to step up. AND RB's catching balls ... and those TE's. The passing game will be alive.

WR is the weakest spot on this team. Don't have a go-to WR like Rambo next year. Right now, all I see are a lot of nice/complimentary WRs.

Advertisement
There is a legit reason to think that we could be a surprise team this year to win it all.
100/1 on Fanduel.
Over/under of 8.5 looks right to me. I see 4 sure wins, 2-3 probable wins, 2-3 coin flip type games, 2 likely losses. We need a couple more top ten type classes and wins over the ACC teams in slots 4-8 before I expect 10 wins in earnest.

Two things can be true at the same time. Last year's staff was awful and the team was a disaster in more ways than one. We were also just a few points away from a 10 win season (11 if we'd have also played & won a bowl game...imagine that). I think a lot of us are confusing the talent disparity between us and couple of the elite rosters (Bama, UGA, maybe OSU) with our ability to win 10+ games and the ACC, a feat which I think puts a CFP appearance within reach.
We won 7 games. Enough with the “we were basically a 10 win team. We were so close”and the “we were only a few points away from a 10 win season” like we lost. You act like we got cheated out of victories. That’s why we fired our coaching staff because of their inability to prepare our team. That’s why we brought in a bunch of portal players

We won 7 games. Enough with the “we were basically a 10 win team. We were so close”and the “we were only a few points away from a 10 win season” like we lost. You act like we got cheated out of victories. That’s why we fired our coaching staff because of their inability to prepare our team. That’s why we brought in a bunch of portal players
The reality is if a certain kicker doesn't have a brain fart and a certain DB doesn't stand flat footed vs a team who shall remain nameless we win those two games. You could also argue that if we don't get the stop vs NC ST we lose that game, there's nothing wrong with discussing these things as it relates to the future success of the team.

Fair enough. But ignoring any and all context about the games and just looking at the final score doesn't do much in the way of analyzing how last year's performance might translate into this year (which, I believe, is the topic at hand). I'm no Bill Parcells, but I think a team can be "better" than their record.

Admitted, we had a terrible staff running a terrible scheme that has been figured out by any decent offensive coach - i.e. led the nation in missed tackles and only forced 9 turnovers all season. That said, if our kicker makes a >30 yard field goal against Virginia and we make a stop on 4th and 14 at fsu (two things that even bad football teams are successful at more than 90% of the time), we go 9-3. Full stop. And I'm not saying we got "robbed" - just pointing out that simple execution on just 2 very routine plays (perhaps having a better coaching staff will help in that department...) is the clear difference between 7-5 and 9-3.

So, based on personnel alone, we were probably "better" than our 7-5 record shows - add that to the talent infusion on the front 7, an all-America/1st round type QB and competent professionals running things, and I can understand why OP is a little bullish (personally, I don't think we get over the Clemson hump just yet).

Advertisement
I saw +150 to win the coastal as more value than 8.5 wins; if we go 9-3, we’re winning the Coastal more often than not imo (assuming an A&M loss in baked into the 3). Aka if we do go 9-3 or 10-2, I’d rather be holding +150 than -115 (and this has started moving to -145 on the over 8.5 in recent days).

Pitt plays all of their more difficult ACC games on the road. Reports on Slovis concerning the spring were less than ideal, and he couldn’t separate himself from Nick Patti the 2021 backup; it was also rumored that seeing Slovis and Patti in the Spring further pushed Addison to seek transferring (although I’m sure money played a much more significant role). Pitt will be awesome in the trenches so I expect more of a typical Narduzzi squad - gritty, runs the ball more, tries to get in rock fights…especially if Patti wins the job.

UNC catches both Wake and NC State from the Atlantic. That’s tough for a new starter to deal with, and who will most likely redshirt freshman Cade Maye. Downs is elite but that o-line needs a complete 180.

I hate being so positive because we’ve done this to ourselves for x number of years, but there is a lot to like about this team, the schedule, and our opponents’ schedules/loss of talent.

rick james cocaine GIF

Manny's next HC job is in the CUSA
Blake’s next job should have been at a Northeastern Division 3 school. Instead, he’s at ACC P5 member Boston College.

Fair enough. But ignoring any and all context about the games and just looking at the final score doesn't do much in the way of analyzing how last year's performance might translate into this year (which, I believe, is the topic at hand). I'm no Bill Parcells, but I think a team can be "better" than their record.

Admitted, we had a terrible staff running a terrible scheme that has been figured out by any decent offensive coach - i.e. led the nation in missed tackles and only forced 9 turnovers all season. That said, if our kicker makes a >30 yard field goal against Virginia and we make a stop on 4th and 14 at fsu (two things that even bad football teams are successful at more than 90% of the time), we go 9-3. Full stop. And I'm not saying we got "robbed" - just pointing out that simple execution on just 2 very routine plays (perhaps having a better coaching staff will help in that department...) is the clear difference between 7-5 and 9-3.

So, based on personnel alone, we were probably "better" than our 7-5 record shows - add that to the talent infusion on the front 7, an all-America/1st round type QB and competent professionals running things, and I can understand why OP is a little bullish (personally, I don't think we get over the Clemson hump just yet).
I love how people bring up that 4th and 14 excuse. We didn’t stop them because our coaches were terrible and our defense couldn’t make a play. In the Virginia game, people miss field goals all the time. It’s football. All of that is like saying that if Vanderbilt had too 5 recruiting classes, they would win the sec. It’s like saying that FSU would have gone 10-4 if their kicker didn’t miss that FG in 2002. Stop using excuses these “shoulda coulda woulda” excuses to justify our record. We went 7-5. Plain and simple

Last edited:
Advertisement
That team last year was technically a 9 win team. (save for a missed chip shot FG against UVA and a 4th and 17 flop against FSU)

So I am not understanding the folks who say they would be okay if we just had a 1 game improvement from last season at 8-4.

9-3 should be the expected record. No excuses. We are basically conceding two losses to the toughest opponents on the schedule (Clemson and TAMU) and handing this team another loss to a team we probably have no business losing to. (UNC, UVA or Pitt?)

We go 8-4 and that recruiting momentum starts to slow down. We still end up with a top 12 class but not the top 7 class we had all predicted.

I love how people bring up that 4th and 14 excuse. We didn’t stop them because our coaches were terrible and our defense couldn’t make a play. It’s football. That’s like saying that if Vanderbilt had too 5 recruiting classes, they would win the sec. Stop using excuses these “shoulda coulda woulda” excuses to justify our record. We went 7-5. Plain and simple

I'm sorry, this is such a dumb way to approach this discussion.

That team last year was technically a 9 win team. (save for a missed chip shot FG against UVA and a 4th and 17 flop against FSU)

So I am not understanding the folks who say they would be okay if we just had a 1 game improvement from last season at 8-4.

9-3 should be the expected record. No excuses. We are basically conceding two losses to the toughest opponents on the schedule (Clemson and TAMU) and handing this team another loss to a team we probably have no business losing to. (UNC, UVA or Pitt?)

We go 8-4 and that recruiting momentum starts to slow down. We still end up with a top 12 class but not the top 7 class we had all predicted.
They were technically a 9 win team. Stop it. People miss field goals all the time and FSU converted on a 4th and long, as they took advantage of our defensive scheme. It's football

It's like saying fsu technically went 12-1 in 2000 and 10-4 in 2002. It's like saying Vanberbilt is technically a 10 win team if they had good coaches and recruits

Advertisement
Back