2022 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
Didn’t they send him out for relief innings and he still got rocked ??

Idk if he was guaranteed a starting weekend spot during his recruitment but he flat out wasn’t ready and needed to be brought along slowly to get him ready
There’s a difference between getting innings and getting another “shot.” I made that same argument when he came out of the bullpen. PO’s are a different breed of people. Some starters are starters only. I remember him coming in with runners on base, ya know, a situation he had never been in since he got to campus. One of the dumbest decisions I saw made all year. Who throws a starter, who has no confidence, into a mess?

He should have been given a two weeks off to recover and then thrown out there midweek to get back into it.

Mederos wasn't very impressive but yeah, surprised he wants out. This progrum is feeling a little toxic.
He’s a more complete pitcher right now, than Rosario. He has 2 legit pitches. He just doesn’t have that same moxie Rosario has. So much of pitching, is believing in your stuff and believing you’re better than the kid at the plate.

Rosario is a competitor. If you have that mentality with a mid to upper 90s fastball, you can get away with not having a reliable second pitch in college. Mederos just isn’t that guy, yet.

Mederos is too talented of a pitcher for us to lose. Not every freshman pitcher is Kumar Rocker but the potential is there and if we had a legit pitching coach, he would have improved not regressed during the year.

I’ve gotten torched on this board for *****ing about bullpen management and rotation management. Is everyone coming around now? We’re discussing the **** show that was Mederos decision making, now let’s talk about smith not starting for 75% of the year.

This program has serious serious issues

Advertisement
Do players of Mederos' caliber ever return after entering the portal, or does it usually indicate he already knows where he is going? My hope is that his late entry might have been a shot across the bow to Gino, or is that just wishful thinking?

I’ve gotten torched on this board for *****ing about bullpen management and rotation management. Is everyone coming around now? We’re discussing the **** show that was Mederos decision making, now let’s talk about smith not starting for 75% of the year.

This program has serious serious issues
I think most everybody came around when Fed went back to the bullpen and started to be himself again. Bc as ive said a million times, starters are starters and bullpen guys are bullpen guys. Rarely can a guy do both at a high level. It took them so long to figure that out. Which is also why Palmquist starting makes zero sense to me. He screams high leverage/intensity guy. Don’t jeopardize that by stretching him out to 90 pitches.

Rotation wise I didn’t like Garland but he proved me wrong in the midweek. He earned a shot as a weekend guy, but Doesn’t have the stuff to be one, from what he showed. As far as Smith goes, how do you explain putting 4 guys ahead of him? That I’ll never understand. JD must’ve never watched his bullpens.

In general it just seems like the guys in charge of the program have no feel for the game or their players.

Losing Mederos is a legitimate loss.

Gino really needs a big year because this one was a major disappointment.
You think another down year gets Gino the axe?

Too much talent to be struggling to get out of a regional… not to mention losing to Central Michigan’s and USFs of the world in a regional

Advertisement
This returning roster right now looks brutal...hope they have some big names coming in from the portal or a few veteran returnees....

Last edited:
You think another down year gets Gino the axe?

Too much talent to be struggling to get out of a regional… not to mention losing to Central Michigan’s and USFs of the world in a regional
No. I think it gets him on the hot seat. The admin seems pretty high on Gino.

Advertisement
Some good news.

Very good news.

Mederos could be as simple as wanting a guaranteed weekend spot next year, since he's draft eligible. I don't see how Gino/JD could promise that with Rosario, Palmquist, and McFarlane, at a minimum as other options, plus maybe Smith and Irv Carter.

Advertisement
Sounds like we dodged a bullet with a kid that really wanted to come here. According to PG he just turned 18 and won’t be eligible again until 2024.

Sounds like we dodged a bullet with a kid that really wanted to come here. According to PG he just turned 18 and won’t be eligible again until 2024.

I sort've wonder if there's a connection with Mederos transferring. Mederos leaving has to free up a lot of scholarship $. The coaches might have then promised that $ to Carrier, since OF is the biggest hole on the roster right now

I sort've wonder if there's a connection with Mederos transferring. Mederos leaving has to free up a lot of scholarship $. The coaches might have then promised that $ to Carrier, since OF is the biggest hole on the roster right now
Definitely could be. I would’ve made that trade with the difference of years in until draft eligibility. With any luck they were able to up Carter’s offer too.

Advertisement
Back