2022 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
17 strikeouts in 50 at-bats is going to be a big concern. He got better as the season went along, so hopefully it was an early-season adjustment. Four passed balls in his limited chances is another concern, but Vanderbilt definitely had some arms that were tough to deal with.

Otherwise, he had some nice results and is a good-looking lefty stick.

Freshman play and produce on every team in the country. It shouldn’t be out of the question for a top 100 guy to come in and start. Outside of CDC he’s better than the guys we ran out there this year.
Contact and approach issues. He will need time and really needs to be developed. He can crush a ball a mile but I think he gets pull-happy trying to launch balls and can pull off breaking stuff.

Most likely, he's a year two producer, but he is lauded for his work ethic and makeup, so he could surprise early.

Is he transferring to Miami?

Kind of hard to not see Perez starting next year.
Carlos Perez hit .222/.340/.422 this year as a freshman with 17 strikeouts in 45 at-bats. He had three passed balls in 19 games.

As a COVID freshman on an elite SEC club, Romero hit .300/.426/.620 with 17 strikeouts in 50 at-bats. He had four passed balls in 21 games.

Perez has the better arm and nice power potential, but is a right-handed bat. Swing data is more in the 70th percentile.

Romero is more in the 80th percentile with swing data and has big pull power.

If nothing else, you have ability to platoon at catcher and play the other at DH/1B when needed.

Advertisement
Contact and approach issues. He will need time and really needs to be developed. He can crush a ball a mile but I think he gets pull-happy trying to launch balls and can pull off breaking stuff.

Most likely, he's a year two producer, but he is lauded for his work ethic and makeup, so he could surprise early.
I should have prefaced that by saying freshman play and produce on teams with good coaches. I wasn’t considering Miami not having anybody on staff that understands hitting.

Can hit, but susceptible to off-speed, especially guys with good windows on FB/SL combinations. Stud behind the plate.

So whats the word on CDC. Undrafted but was already a grad player. Anyone think he wants 1 more go around w the canes?

Advertisement
So whats the word on CDC. Undrafted but was already a grad player. Anyone think he wants 1 more go around w the canes?
I've wondered the same thing. I guess the question is whether his heart would be in it, if he's set on a career in science (and what that workload entails) and his brother is gone. Maybe someone else has some insight.

I've wondered the same thing. I guess the question is whether his heart would be in it, if he's set on a career in science (and what that workload entails) and his brother is gone. Maybe someone else has some insight.
Would be a huge boost to the OF which is looking pretty suspect atm

Did he finish his masters last year? That’s probably the biggest puzzle piece.

Carlos Perez hit .222/.340/.422 this year as a freshman with 17 strikeouts in 45 at-bats. He had three passed balls in 19 games.

As a COVID freshman on an elite SEC club, Romero hit .300/.426/.620 with 17 strikeouts in 50 at-bats. He had four passed balls in 21 games.

Perez has the better arm and nice power potential, but is a right-handed bat. Swing data is more in the 70th percentile.

Romero is more in the 80th percentile with swing data and has big pull power.

If nothing else, you have ability to platoon at catcher and play the other at DH/1B when needed.

Yeah my guess is Perez catches weekends, Romero weekdays. Then Romero is a good bet to DH on weekends.

Perez has the ability to be an elite defensive catcher, and he has some power, but I'm not sure if he'll ever hit much.

Advertisement

His scouting report reads a lot like Brennan Davis. Davis was supposed to have those same issues but came in and was good immediately in the Cubs system.

Unknown how he will handle velocity, but he's an excellent multisport athlete and prospects like that usually make adjustments quickly. It's pretty pointless to call him a Year 2 producer. He's a great prospect but nobody knows how his bat will play until he starts facing college pitching.

His scouting report reads a lot like Brennan Davis. Davis was supposed to have those same issues but came in and was good immediately in the Cubs system.

Unknown how he will handle velocity, but he's an excellent multisport athlete and prospects like that usually make adjustments quickly. It's pretty pointless to call him a Year 2 producer. He's a great prospect but nobody knows how his bat will play until he starts facing college pitching.
We were getting along so well until your second to last sentence.

Advertisement

You could say that about any kid. But hes got so much raw ability, I think he’ll get acclimated faster than most. He’s one of those kids where it sounds different coming off the bat. Let’s just hope he keeps progressing and doesn’t end up like the last kid I said that about in Toral.

How good is the Juco kid Wallen? Could he find a spot in the lineup at 2B?

Hard to see him starting, seems like a backup. Izarra should be the 2B next year. Hopefully he has a good summer/fall because him and Pitelli would be one of the best fielding middle infields we've ever had.

Looks like Toral couldn’t get the 20K from anyone. He, Gil, and Rivera are in the portal.

Advertisement
Back