2022 Roster Discussion

Looks like Toral couldn’t get the 20K from anyone. He, Gil, and Rivera are in the portal.

Wonder why none of them wanted to come back or maybe were told to look around...not many veterans returning. Would love to have CDC surprise us and return

Advertisement
Looks like Toral couldn’t get the 20K from anyone. He, Gil, and Rivera are in the portal.

Holy **** I couldn’t be happier to read this. GOOD RIDDANCE. This maybe a sign that the program is in shambles or Gino knew all of these young men sucked... even though he recruited all of them smh

I’m leaning towards shambles but one can dream he begins to take a drastically different approach to recruiting. Because it’s not working and hasn’t worked in 10+ years

Wonder why none of them wanted to come back or maybe were told to look around...not many veterans returning. Would love to have CDC surprise us and return
They may never have wanted to come back, but the timing of entering the portal says they wanted to sign and couldn’t. Gino specifically said Toral wanted to sign. There’s a good chance Gino then spent any money they would have gotten on Burke, Romero, and an upped offer to Carrier and possibly Ziehl.

Advertisement
Holy **** I couldn’t be happier to read this. GOOD RIDDANCE. This maybe a sign that the program is in shambles or Gino knew all of these young men sucked... even though he recruited all of them smh

I’m leaning towards shambles but one can dream he begins to take a drastically different approach to recruiting. Because it’s not working and hasn’t worked in 10+ years
I don’t see how anyone would have won by those three, especially Toral, coming back. It obviously wasn’t working for them here, and we need to move on and get younger. Maybe a change of scenery is what they need.

I don’t see how anyone would have won by those three, especially Toral, coming back. It obviously wasn’t working for them here, and we need to move on and get younger. Maybe a change of scenery is what they need.
Agree. Hopefully, Gates comes back strong and gives us some LH pop in the middle of the order.

Any word on Bodanza's status? We could use another LH RP.

As I posted early in the draft thread, I have a neighbor who has a nephew who was on the roster and played this year. Could have come back but said he and three or four others said not for this coaching staff

Advertisement
Roster as it appears right now:
Likely Returners (17)
Kayfus
Arguelles
Gates
M Rosario
Palmquist
McFarlane
Walters
A Rosario
Morales
Long
Fairweather
Izarra
Regalado
Pitelli
Garland
Dubberly
Perez

More Likely Than Not Returners(2)
Jenkins
Bodanza

IDK Returners(1)
CDC

Transfers(5)
Wallen
Romero
Burke
Gallo
Torres

Likely Freshmen (13)
Carrier
Ziehl
Ligon
R Gonzalez
D Gonzalez
Anello
Rossow
Gutierrez
Schlesinger
Villegas
Garcia
Henry
Jones

Last edited:
Likely Returners (17)
Kayfus
Arguelles
Gates
M Rosario
Palmquist
McFarlane
Walters
A Rosario
Morales
Long
Fairweather
Izarra
Regalado
Pitelli
Garland
Dubberly
Perez

Jenkins
Bodanza

IDK Returners(1)
CDC

Transfers(3)
Wallen
Romero
Burke

Likely Freshmen (13)
Carrier
Ziehl
Ligon
R Gonzalez
D Gonzalez
Anello
Rossow
Gutierrez
Schlesinger
Villegas
Garcia
Henry
Jones
We never get every undrafted signee to show up, and there’s probably an incoming transfer or two we don’t know about, but we seem to be in the right ballpark numberswise

I do find it interesting the two recruits that turned down good MLB money for us aren’t from South Florida.

Did Ziehl not sign with Chicago?

Edit: just saw that he's coming to Miami. Great news.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I do find it interesting the two recruits that turned down good MLB money for us aren’t from South Florida.
Saw that - I wonder if we're recruiting the NE more aggressively because we are more confident in getting them to come and/or if something is amiss w the program and S Fl recruits as many on here have alluded to? Fraser used to recruit heavily in NJ, but that was because he was from there.

Advertisement
Saw that - I wonder if we're recruiting the NE more aggressively because we are more confident in getting them to come and/or if something is amiss w the program and S Fl recruits as many on here have alluded to? Fraser used to recruit heavily in NJ, but that was because he was from there.

Tons of kids from that area go to UM in general. It's pretty easy to sell Miami to kids from the NE, and there really isn't much local competition for talent. IMO if we're going to leave the state, the mid-Atlantic and NE are where we have the best sell

Likely Returners (17)
Kayfus
Arguelles
Gates
M Rosario
Palmquist
McFarlane
Walters
A Rosario
Morales
Long
Fairweather
Izarra
Regalado
Pitelli
Garland
Dubberly
Perez

Jenkins
Bodanza

IDK Returners(1)
CDC

Transfers(3)
Wallen
Romero
Burke

Likely Freshmen (13)
Carrier
Ziehl
Ligon
R Gonzalez
D Gonzalez
Anello
Rossow
Gutierrez
Schlesinger
Villegas
Garcia
Henry
Jones

Obviously things will change and hopefully there are a couple more additions, but an early guess at a depth chart with that roster:

C: Perez or Romero, Jones
1B: Kayfus, Gates
2B: Izarra, D Gonzalez
SS: Pitelli, Wallen
3B: Morales, Burke, Garcia
DH: Gates, Romero, Burke

Starting OF: Carrier, M Rosario, Burke
Backup OF: Jenkins, Long, R Gonzalez, Gutierrez, Villegas

Weekend SP: Rosario, Palmquist, McFarlane
Midweek SP: Garland or Ligon
Closer: Walters
Set Up: Bodanza, Arguelles, Dubberly, Ziehl, maybe Gates