2022 2022 Recruiting

Advertisement
Wow! This would be a huge get. Between Reneau, Aire, and Casey, this would give our frontcourt a huge infusion of length, athleticism, and depth.
Holy cow: if it happens it would be the best 2 year recruiting run we have had. Over the course of 2 years L has recruited/produced a complete roster. Hats off to him. Would be beyond a massive get

When does he announce

Happy So Excited GIF

Hasn't happened yet but I would not be surprised to see the Illinois PG Andre Curbelo hit the Portal. His outside shooting has become such a negative that Underwood benched him in the second half of their last game. Just a Coach's Decision, no other reason.

We went after Curbelo hard as a HS Senior and he was good for a slew of highlight reel assists a game in his first season at Illinois. Terrific ballhandler. But ... outside shot has never come around. They definitely soured on him in his seconf season with the Illini.

I mentioned that in the tournament thread. He's also from Puerto Rico, which would theoretically work to our advantage.

He had a nasty concussion in October, missed a bunch of time because of it, and never seemed to fully recover. Looked like a future star last year though.

Advertisement
Hasn't happened yet but I would not be surprised to see the Illinois PG Andre Curbelo hit the Portal. His outside shooting has become such a negative that Underwood benched him in the second half of their last game. Just a Coach's Decision, no other reason.

We went after Curbelo hard as a HS Senior and he was good for a slew of highlight reel assists a game in his first season at Illinois. Terrific ballhandler. But ... outside shot has never come around. They definitely soured on him in his second season with the Illini.
Have you watched Curbelo? He goes into Hero mode at end of games.

Have you watched Curbelo? He goes into Hero mode at end of games.
I've watched him a lot over the last two seasons. I love his ball handling and passing, and he's quick as ****. But ... I can see why Underwood is less than thrilled with him being unable to improve his shooting. Hard to be an effective guard without an outside shot these days.

Think he shot only 16% from outside in 2020-21, and this year something like 25%. Neither number is acceptable. If he were available, though, I def would go after him.

I've watched him a lot over the last two seasons. I love his ball handling and passing, and he's quick as ****. But ... I can see why Underwood is less than thrilled with him being unable to improve his shooting. Hard to be an effective guard without an outside shot these days.

Think he shot only 16% from outside in 2020-21, and this year something like 25%. Neither number is acceptable. If he were available, though, I def would go after him.
I'd pass on Curbelo. He is what he is.

Advertisement
Curbelo had us in his top 2-3 IIRC so I wouldn't be shocked if the staff pursued. Also, for all of the talk that 'he's a turnover machine', his career turnover numbers are nearly identical (2.7 vs 2.5) to Angel's.

Advertisement
Lotta Curbelo's TOs come from fumble-fingered bigs who don't handle his crisp passes well. I would not have one worry about his ball handling or passing. He's in the Top 5 in the entire country in those categories IMO.

Shooting is not where it needs to be. I will say, though, he's quick enough so he can get his own outside shot and doesn't lack confidence in taking shots he's presented with. That's half the battle at this level. Worst trait shooting the ball is trying, like Lykes, to take too many drives to the rim. Of course, 90% of the time, he eats leather. Little guy complex.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back