2022 2022 Recruiting

Advertisement
So ... is he a legit 5 star HS recruit, or in the mold of where Dewan Huell/Hernandez was coming out of HS?
Dewan had the WOW factor. And as much as I loved Dewan, this kid has the IT factor. You don't know what IT is, but he has IT.

All joking aside Dewan had all the physical tools coming out of HS. He had good size, was athletic and ran the floor like a gazelle. Dewan was highly rated off of his potential. Malik on the other hand is the complete opposite. Physically and athletically not nearly as gifted as Dewan was, but much more skilled and has a better grasp of the game. Malik is also very productive. Lot of substance to him. Malik is skilled enough to be a day 1 contributor when he gets to college. Only thing that may concern me is if he's physically ready for it and I think he is.

Not really. They said Indiana, Georgia, and FSU were the ones to watch. He answered questions about Indiana and Georgia. One of his teammates is going to Indiana.
Reading the article, I'm guessing that FSU listing is supposed to be Miami - it is just a mistake. In the same paragraph where Indiana/Georgia/FSU were listed, it goes into why the schools are on the list. They listed the coaches with UGA, being HS teammates with Indiana commit Jalen Hood-Schifino for the Hoosiers. But they never actually commented about FSU - what they had instead was a mention of Reneau being from South Florida and having Miami on the list when he first made his choice. So I assume that the list should be Indiana, Georgia, and Miami.

Dewan had the WOW factor. And as much as I loved Dewan, this kid has the IT factor. You don't know what IT is, but he has IT.

All joking aside Dewan had all the physical tools coming out of HS. He had good size, was athletic and ran the floor like a gazelle. Dewan was highly rated off of his potential. Malik on the other hand is the complete opposite. Physically and athletically not nearly as gifted as Dewan was, but much more skilled and has a better grasp of the game. Malik is also very productive. Lot of substance to him. Malik is skilled enough to be a day 1 contributor when he gets to college. Only thing that may concern me is if he's physically ready for it and I think he is.
Thanks for the comparison. Very thorough, as always.

Only comment is I don't think any HS player should get a 5 star rating based on "potential." To me, a 5 star gets that elite rating because they are deemed ready for significant contribution in Year One.

Advertisement
Thanks for the comparison. Very thorough, as always.

Only comment is I don't think any HS player should get a 5 star rating based on "potential." To me, a 5 star gets that elite rating because they are deemed ready for significant contribution in Year One.
I agree with you. I think the national recruiting pundits may have over valued Dewan as a prospect coming out of HS. Hindsight being 20-20 I don't think many of these same national scouts would label him a 5-star if they were to do it over again. In fairness to them though, it did seem that any time Dewan was on the national stage he showed out. Whether it was at a national HS or AAU tournament, or at USA trials Dewan always seemed to find himself in the middle of a positive write-up. I think his HS and travel teams did a good job of masking some of his defecencies and highlighting his strengths.

But I don't blame the scouting services one bit. First time I saw Dewan, he was an 8th grader playing in a local middle school tournament. I saw a scrawny 6'8" kid grab a defensive rebound off the rim, dribble the length of the court and finish the play with a euro step, dunk. I was floored. Thought this kid had a chance to be really special. Not every day you see someone so young, with that size, athleticism and skill.

I'll take day 1 contributor over a raw athlete any day.

I agree with you. I think the national recruiting pundits may have over valued Dewan as a prospect coming out of HS. Hindsight being 20-20 I don't think many of these same national scouts would label him a 5-star if they were to do it over again. In fairness to them though, it did seem that any time Dewan was on the national stage he showed out. Whether it was at a national HS or AAU tournament, or at USA trials Dewan always seemed to find himself in the middle of a positive write-up. I think his HS and travel teams did a good job of masking some of his defecencies and highlighting his strengths.

But I don't blame the scouting services one bit. First time I saw Dewan, he was an 8th grader playing in a local middle school tournament. I saw a scrawny 6'8" kid grab a defensive rebound off the rim, dribble the length of the court and finish the play with a euro step, dunk. I was floored. Thought this kid had a chance to be really special. Not every day you see someone so young, with that size, athleticism and skill.

Agreed he was overrated. Bigs in general, both in high school and in the draft, are frequently overrated. Once you get to the higher levels, size alone won't get you anywhere.

Advertisement
Saw an article on 247 where Reneau has three official visits scheduled: Indiana, Maryland, and Virginia.

Seems like we are placing a much higher priority on the transfers than we are with Reneau.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't mind this one since we have limited slots and 4 freshman coming in (5 if you count Jakai Robinson). Need an impact transfer or 2

Those striped warmups have helped IU recruiting going back to before Bobby Knight. Not saying true in Reneau's case but ... others have credited them over the years for choosing the Hoosiers. Globetrotter look.

Advertisement
Back