2022 2022 Recruiting

So Fisher waits until he's at Penn State to start recruiting players from Florida.

That leads me to believe it's purely Coach L who is against recruiting in-state players.
It is mainly on Coach L, but his assistants don't help matters by being YES men and agreeing with this concept. 2 main reasons they don't make an emphasis on recruiting Florida is that they say our HS players aren't well coached and have poor basketball IQ. There's some merit to this, but I still think there's more than enough talent here to prioritize our state. If fsu and fl can do it and have some success, why can't we?

Advertisement
It is mainly on Coach L, but his assistants don't help matters by being YES men and agreeing with this concept. 2 main reasons they don't make an emphasis on recruiting Florida is that they say our HS players aren't well coached and have poor basketball IQ. There's some merit to this, but I still think there's more than enough talent here to prioritize our state. If fsu and fl can do it and have some success, why can't we?
What?!

They have recruited many low IQ, "raw" basketball players from out of state over the last few years.
Anthony Walker
Harlond Beverly
James Palmer

Just to name a few. So why would that stop them from recruiting Florida players?

What?!

They have recruited many low IQ, "raw" basketball players from out of state over the last few years.
Anthony Walker
Harlond Beverly
James Palmer

Just to name a few. So why would that stop them from recruiting Florida players?

Just a small sample size of the BS and why prep coaches in Florida are pretty much done with this staff. The Adidas connection played a big role in some of our past big time signees. With Adidas now out of the equation, this staff is pretty much on their own in getting talent to come in. The Adidas gauntlet (Adidas' travel ball circuit) is far behind the other 2 circuits (EYBL & UAA) and their appeal to draw top talent has dropped dramatically over the last few years.

In fairness, that also shows their inability to coach, teach and relate to today's players. As a coach, you should be able to teach areas of improvement and hold players accountable for those mistakes.
This is a trait in any leadership position. In any profession, when you are in a leadership position, part of your responsibility is to make those under your leadership better. You have to build on what they do good and help them improve on the areas where they struggle.
Coach L thinks being older gives you an advantage over other players. I completely disagree as talent is the most important attribute.
Nysier Brooks was the oldest player on the court in every game this season, how many games was he the best player on the court.
Case in point.
My rant is over.
Back to the thread.

Advertisement
This made my **** stomach hurt to read. If you are a coach with a legit system and culture, you will mold these young men into the players you want them to be in year two or three. Instead we have a coaching staff that have no confidence in themselves or their system so we are ignoring the state in which we reside in (and should have connections in). I can’t believe we’re dealing with this type of laziness and incompetence

Adidas circuit has definitely cooled down since all of the allegations. Feel like the last year it was attracting the elite talent was Dennis Smith’s class when he was playing for Team Loaded.

I have been out of the scene for close to a decade, didn’t know UAA has gotten that big. EYBL is a different animal. Has too much history. Boo Williams alone draws more hype than any of the tournaments the others circuits have created. Nike has done an excellent job of creating new stops over the years

Adidas circuit has definitely cooled down since all of the allegations. Feel like the last year it was attracting the elite talent was Dennis Smith’s class when he was playing for Team Loaded.

I have been out of the scene for close to a decade, didn’t know UAA has gotten that big. EYBL is a different animal. Has too much history. Boo Williams alone draws more hype than any of the tournaments the others circuits have created. Nike has done an excellent job of creating new stops over the years

The UAA isn't even that great, its really the EYBL and that's it. There is a couple good programs in UAA but nothing compared to EYBL.

In fairness, that also shows their inability to coach, teach and relate to today's players. As a coach, you should be able to teach areas of improvement and hold players accountable for those mistakes.
This is a trait in any leadership position. In any profession, when you are in a leadership position, part of your responsibility is to make those under your leadership better. You have to build on what they do good and help them improve on the areas where they struggle.
Coach L thinks being older gives you an advantage over other players. I completely disagree as talent is the most important attribute.
Nysier Brooks was the oldest player on the court in every game this season, how many games was he the best player on the court.
Case in point.
My rant is over.
Back to the thread.
This 100%.

Coach L has demonstrated a lot of shortcomings in recent years, but up until the last year or two, I never thought laziness would be one of them.

If he and his staff are ignoring local players just because they think they are "Low Basketball IQ", that is pure laziness and negligence. Imagine what the roster would look like if that was our approach to football recruiting.

Advertisement
If he and his staff are ignoring local players just because they think they are "Low Basketball IQ"
What makes it even funnier is the fact that we have had some VERY low IQ players on his teams over the years: Amp Lawrence, Newton, Lykes just to name a few

Advertisement

As much as I like Faheim, I'm not sure if he's a high major prospect at this point. He's definitely got D-I potential but I'd like to see a little more skill development before anointing him a P5 prospect. There's another kid on that Miramar squad who may also have a chance of playing D-1 ball in a couple of years. Deshawn Jean-Charles (6'6" WF 2022) is a prospect to keep an eye on. Probably won't go to a P5, but I could see him developing into a mid-major prospect.

As much as I like Faheim, I'm not sure if he's a high major prospect at this point. He's definitely got D-I potential but I'd like to see a little more skill development before anointing him a P5 prospect. There's another kid on that Miramar squad who may also have a chance of playing D-1 ball in a couple of years. Deshawn Jean-Charles (6'6" WF 2022) is a prospect to keep an eye on. Probably won't go to a P5, but I could see him developing into a mid-major prospect.

You are right but the gap between high major and mid major kid is not that significant. It is mostly an adjustment to the speed of the game and strength of the players he is playing against.
Most kids struggles are also hindered by a coaches inability to develop talent and put players in a situation to succeed.
The major gap is between the one and done freshman and the high major freshman.
Prime example is Jalen Suggs, Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley compared to every other freshman in the country playing P5 basketball.

Advertisement
You are right but the gap between high major and mid major kid is not that significant. It is mostly an adjustment to the speed of the game and strength of the players he is playing against.
Most kids struggles are also hindered by a coaches inability to develop talent and put players in a situation to succeed.
The major gap is between the one and done freshman and the high major freshman.
Prime example is Jalen Suggs, Cade Cunningham and Evan Mobley compared to every other freshman in the country playing P5 basketball.
Here's how I categorize prep basketball prospects. Of course there are exceptions, but in general terms here's how I label them.

High major = P5 signee; day 1 contributor; usually a pro prospect out of HS
Mid to High major = P5 signee who contributes after a year or 2 on campus; or a mid-major starter from day 1
Mid major = Mid major signee and day 1 contributor
Low to Mid major = Mid major signee who sits for a year or two; Low D1 signee and day 1 starter
Low D1 = Low D1 signee who sits a year or two before contributing

If Miami is looking for a shooter, someone please let the staff know there's a kid named Justin Morgan who put on a show this weekend in Atlanta. He's not a Florida kid. I believe he's out of Memphis and plays summer ball with Team Thad (EYBL). I was watching their game vs Nightryders and he must've hit 6-7 3's in the game I watched. Kid is flying under the radar right now.

Advertisement
Back