2021 Summer Ball

Still mentions Mederos and notably Bodanza is pitching in the Florida Collegiate League for Sanford. This seems to be a decent sign Bodanza will return.
It would be nice if Mike Rosario can contribute on both sides of the ball next year. Smith is gone with the kind of numbers he's putting up.

Advertisement
It would be nice if Mike Rosario can contribute on both sides of the ball next year. Smith is gone with the kind of numbers he's putting up.
I’m kinda surprised Smith is still on the Cotuit roster. He pitched Monday and likely won’t go again until Sunday or Monday when the draft has already started. I expected him to pack up around the same time as Fed.

I’m kinda surprised Smith is still on the Cotuit roster. He pitched Monday and likely won’t go again until Sunday or Monday when the draft has already started. I expected him to pack up around the same time as Fed.
Maybe smith feels like he’s coming back?

And just like that Smith was released this afternoon….

Yikes at McFarlane’s last outing 3.0 IP giving up 5 runs (all earned). He did manage to strikeout 6. That spiked his summer ERA to 6.00

Advertisement
Arguelles and Rosario made tomorrow’s Valley League All Star game. Arguelles has been very good as a starter. He’s 2-0 with a 1.05 ERA and 22K/8BB in 17.0 IP. He’s gone at least five innings in all three of his starts.

Walters was released a few days ago after one appearance on Jul 5. He pitched 2.0 innings allowing a run on three hits with 3K/1BB. Hopefully his short tenure wasn’t injury related.

Yoyo is really struggling at .162 (6 for 37) with a triple and one RBI. He’s struck out 12 times while walking six.

McFarlane allowed two unearned runs while walking four and striking out one in a single inning of work. His summer ERA lowered to 5.40. On the road not traveled, Mederos’ ERA is up to 6.48.

Romero is also playing for Chatham, batting .250 (9 for 36) with a homer and six RBIs. He has 11 Ks vs 2 BBs.

McFarlane sounds like a mess this summer. Not good news for a guy we really need to take the next step and lock down a weekend rotation spot

As the Northwoods League breaks for its All-Star Break, here's an update on UM's guys in that league.

Izarra's season is likely done. He'll exit as a .280 hitter with a .710 OPS, 10 BB and 8 K. He was especially productive defensively for the Woodchucks at both 2B and SS. I would expect him to be a contributor in next season's starting lineup.

Kayfus' AVG is down to .233 after a hot start. Ks have been an issue, with 28 in 24 games for Wisconsin. He's seen time at both 1B and RF.

Jacob Burke--who is an incoming transfer from SE Louisiana State, has a deceptively low .155 AVG in 18 over 18 contests. His BB-K ratio is in the green at 10-7. His OPS stands at .716 and his 4 HRs are tied for the Chucks' team-high, with the other player having more than double the amount of games played. Burke has primarily contributed defensively at 3B.

Rounding out the UM infielders in the Northwoods League is Dominic Pitelli, an all but certain incumbent SS for 2022. The good news is that his numbers are rising as the season progresses. As stated on this board, he started lethargically for Kalamazoo. But he's now riding an eight-game hit streak and his AVG has risen from .122 to .227. He only has two extra base hits though.

These appear to be strong contenders to make up Miami's starting infield spots next spring, barring a freshman taking a position or a surprise veteran returnee. There are some positives to takeaway, but also some concerns.

To compare: In 2018, Alex Toral was .238 with 7 HRs a summer before hitting 24 HRs in 2019 for UM.

For anyone using the Northwoods League stat book online, anytime a player has his number changed to an high lineman-style football player number, that's the key in knowing whether they've been released or not.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Each player will handle wood differently. Obviously anecdotal evidence, but I wouldn’t have expected Izarra to hit better than Kayfus on the season and show very similar power as well.

Another intangible in summer ball is adjusting to a new environment—often times far away from home, with new people in a region of the country you otherwise wouldn’t otherwise even sniff. Factor in crazy travel and lack of off days, and times can feel lean quick.

This is especially true in leagues like the Northwoods. Less so in the Cape, with a shorter season and far shorter road trips. The Northwoods is the closest thing to a true minor league experience outside of professional baseball. And some players just handle it better than others.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Valley League has entered the playoffs

Rough last outing for Arguelles. 6 earned runs allowed in 4.1 innings. Still had a good summer overall at 3-0 with a 3.22 ERA over 22.1 IP (all 6 appearances have been starts). 30K/10BB

Regalado has thrown 27.1 IP over 7 appearances (6 starts). He’s 2-2 with a 4.93 ERA with 39K/17BB. His ERA took a beating in one outing where he allowed 9 earned runs in 1.1 IP.

Nice summer for Fairweather. 1-0 with a 1.92 ERA in 14 IP. All but one of his appearance were in relief. 16K/5BB.

Speaking of nice summers, Long is batting .326 (30 for 91) with a homer and 18 RBIs. He’s scored 23 times while stealing 8 bases. 18K/8BB. I’d like to see him walk a little more, but when he gets on base he’s making things happen and scoring runs. Might be the one to keep an eye on as a potential leadoff hitter.

Mike Rosario is batting .315 (28 for 92) with 4 homers and 17 RBI. He’s had 27 Ks while walking 8 times. Less stellar on the mound 0-3 with a 5.55 ERA in 11.1 IP. 8K/8BB.

Last edited:
Is Jordan Dubberly not playing anywhere?
He wasn’t mentioned in the article the school put out in early July about where everyone was playing or scheduled to play, so I assume no.

Levenson hit .361 (30 for 83) with 7 HR and 19 RBI. 17K/9BB. He won the Valley League HR Derby. Gino certainly made going out and getting power his transfer priority with Romero, Burke, and Levenson.

Advertisement
Back