2021 Roster Discussion

PG has switched Carlos Rodriguez to uncommitted. He may be one of the players deciding to go the JUCO route.

Hopefully we get a roster as early as Monday with the semester starting.

Advertisement
PG has switched Carlos Rodriguez to uncommitted. He may be one of the players deciding to go the JUCO route.

Hopefully we get a roster as early as Monday with the semester starting.
That's unfortunate (PG says he has a 95 MPH fastball, and is in fact committed to Fl SW St). But hopefully it means he didn't see himself getting enough innings with the other arms around him.

Roster is up: https://miamihurricanes.com/sports/baseball/roster/

I count 39 players total, including 17 returning players, 14 new freshman, 6 JUCO transfers, and 2 Grad transfers. Ortiz and Sagaro didn’t make it to campus along with Carlos Rodriguez.

I may be forgetting, but I think Christian Del Castillo (Seton Hall-Grad Transfer) and Andrew Walters (JUCO)were not previously known.

Gone: Quinones, Maury, Lauck, Paige, Crosbie. Labrador, Tuero, Pollak, Moore, and Carmona.

I count 39 players total, including 17 returning players, 14 new freshman, 6 JUCO transfers, and 2 Grad transfers. Ortiz and Sagaro didn’t make it to campus along with Carlos Rodriguez.

I may be forgetting, but I think Christian Del Castillo (Seton Hall-Grad Transfer) and Andrew Walters (JUCO)were not previously known.

Gone: Quinones, Maury, Lauck, Paige, Crosbie. Labrador, Tuero, Pollak, Moore, and Carmona.
Pretty crazy we got Rosario, Mederos, Morales, and Smith actually on the team. I would have guessed no chance at any of those four before all of the chaos with the draft.

I saw Federman is coming back LOL. I say move him to midweek or middle relief. You can't trust him at closer.

Advertisement
Orbeta (JUCO from Dade) is a hitter. Young staff next year, could be very good in a few years if those guys progress accordingly. Mederos is tough when FB/CH are working, same window and very tough to tell what's coming when he's on.

Excited about inserting Wanger into a lineup that already features Del and Toral and possibly serve as closer.

Most Valuable Player: Graduate transfer pitcher/designated hitter Ben Wanger
Stats: (Batting) .410 AVG, .500 OBP, .564 SLG (Pitching) 0.00 ERA, three saves, .227 BAA

You cannot tell the story of USC’s 2020 baseball season without mentioning Wanger. Not only did Wanger rake at the plate for the Trojans, compiling 16 hits in 10 games, but he provided 6.1 innings out of the bullpen and saved both 2-1 victories over No. 22 TCU and No. 2 Vanderbilt.
In addition to excelling in every aspect of the game this season, the graduate student out of Yale also served as a valuable team leader. Drawing upon his four years as a Bulldog, including an NCAA Tournament berth, Wanger was able to impart his knowledge about the landscape of college baseball to the squad’s younger players. Wanger’s knowledge of the game, along with his playing ability, will extend his impact on USC baseball far beyond the limited games he got to play at Dedeaux and will set the standard for future generations of Trojans.

all things considered, that's a pretty talented and deep roster. on pure talent/depth, we have to be one of the top 7 or 8 rosters in college baseball.

we're young in spots, and losing the experience of our entire starting rotation was a kick in the nuts, but overall, ....

at least we have the skills to pay the bills.

all things considered, that's a pretty talented and deep roster. on pure talent/depth, we have to be one of the top 7 or 8 rosters in college baseball.

we're young in spots, and losing the experience of our entire starting rotation was a kick in the nuts, but overall, ....

at least we have the skills to pay the bills.

Sundays could get interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to get into a slugfest against teams we should beat bc of our lack of experience in the rotation. But you gotta like our chances with the 9 guys we’ll roll out in our lineup

Advertisement
If two of the following four: Smith, McFarlane, Mederos or Rosario, make a quick transition to weekend starters, then we should host a regional at least. And we could contend for a national seed if that happens, with our every-day lineup and depth on offense.

Unfortunately, the starters are all RH's, but at least we have some quality LH arms coming out of the pen.

If two of the following four: Smith, McFarlane, Mederos or Rosario, make a quick transition to weekend starters, then we should host a regional at least. And we could contend for a national seed if that happens, with our every-day lineup and depth on offense.

Unfortunately, the starters are all RH's, but at least we have some quality LH arms coming out of the pen.
I have to think Smith will be ready to go. McFarlane on Saturday? He should be solid. If that leaves crazy talent like Mederos/Rosario competing for Sunday, then there are worse places to be. That doesn’t even count Garland, who looked pretty good in year 1.

We lack experience but talent is abundant. I’ll trust JD to make that work. Plenty of good bullpen arms as well.

It looks like Alex Ruiz is gone. He’s no longer listed on the roster leaving us with 38 players.

3 more cuts at the end of fall ball. I’m not as familiar with the roster as I would normally be at this point but it appears the cuts are Giuseppe Ferraro, Nate Thomas, and Mykanthony Valdez.

Advertisement
If true, I'm not mad about the Nate Thomas news. I watched him pitch last year against one of my formers students who pitched for Elev8 Academy. Needless to say, Nate Thomas was getting rocked. My student pitched extremely well and is now a freshman for UCF. I left the game happy for my student but ****ed that Nate was going to Miami.

D1 Baseball wrote up Miami's Fall practice this week. Some notes:

-Catcher is stacked: Del, Thomas, and Perez, who is being compared to Grandal as a frosh.

-Infield: Likely starters are Toral, Vilar, Morales, and Gil, but there's a lot of competition. Pitelli has looked outstanding and could start at either 2B or SS. Transfer Adam Frank is one of the best hitters on the team and could start almost anywhere. Gil missed Fall with a broken tibia so Frank might beat him out at 3B. Kayfus looks like the heir apparent at 1B, and probably replaces Toral defensively late in games this year.

-Outfield: Lala, Jenkins, and Rivera all return, but no guarantees they start. Chad Born was the team MVP of the Fall and likely starts in the Spring. Jacoby Long was a big surprise. He has elite speed and hit better than expected. Plus Thomas probably competes at OF.

-Pitching: Rosario looked like an ACC starter as a frosh. Throws up to 98 and gets a lot of weak contact. Mederos didn't have a great Fall, but his velo is there and it's a matter of being more consisent. They want Federman to start, noted the coaches saying he's better as a starter than reliever. Smith seems like a lock to start. Palmquist was the best pitcher during the Fall, but no discussion of how either him or Gates will be used. Not much other than brief mentions on McFarlane, Garland, and Gates. USC transfer Wanger is who they're planning on using as a closer

Awesome, thank you for the synopsis. I'm really excited for this team. Can't wait to take my 3 year old to some games. Who do you see being our weekend starters and than who will be our week day starters?

Weekend is probably Smith, Federman and McFarlane

Weekday will be either Garland or Rosario

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Any specifics on how Jake Smith looked? He was really rising on draft boards. He’s a huge part of this team as an older starter. We have a ton of talent on the staff but it’s young. Smith and Federman in that rotation would be good to see.

-Catcher is stacked: Del, Thomas, and Perez, who is being compared to Grandal as a frosh.

-Infield: Likely starters are Toral, Vilar, Morales, and Gil, but there's a lot of competition. Pitelli has looked outstanding and could start at either 2B or SS. Transfer Adam Frank is one of the best hitters on the team and could start almost anywhere. Gil missed Fall with a broken tibia so Frank might beat him out at 3B. Kayfus looks like the heir apparent at 1B, and probably replaces Toral defensively late in games this year.

-Outfield: Lala, Jenkins, and Rivera all return, but no guarantees they start. Chad Born was the team MVP of the Fall and likely starts in the Spring. Jacoby Long was a big surprise. He has elite speed and hit better than expected. Plus Thomas probably competes at OF.

-Pitching: Rosario looked like an ACC starter as a frosh. Throws up to 98 and gets a lot of weak contact. Mederos didn't have a great Fall, but his velo is there and it's a matter of being more consisent. They want Federman to start, noted the coaches saying he's better as a starter than reliever. Smith seems like a lock to start. Palmquist was the best pitcher during the Fall, but no discussion of how either him or Gates will be used. Not much other than brief mentions on McFarlane, Garland, and Gates. USC transfer Wanger is who they're planning on using as a closer
Interesting on Federman. He probably would be better as a starter since he often takes a few hitters to settle down in relief (and then it can be too late, especially when he enters in high leverage situations). We need McFarlane - hope he's healthy.

That answers our Gil question.

Having wanted them to move him to midweek slot last year, I unsurprisingly agree with them about Federman being better as a starter.

Advertisement
Back