2021 Roster Discussion

D1 Baseball wrote up Miami's Fall practice this week. Some notes:

-Catcher is stacked: Del, Thomas, and Perez, who is being compared to Grandal as a frosh.

-Infield: Likely starters are Toral, Vilar, Morales, and Gil, but there's a lot of competition. Pitelli has looked outstanding and could start at either 2B or SS. Transfer Adam Frank is one of the best hitters on the team and could start almost anywhere. Gil missed Fall with a broken tibia so Frank might beat him out at 3B. Kayfus looks like the heir apparent at 1B, and probably replaces Toral defensively late in games this year.

-Outfield: Lala, Jenkins, and Rivera all return, but no guarantees they start. Chad Born was the team MVP of the Fall and likely starts in the Spring. Jacoby Long was a big surprise. He has elite speed and hit better than expected. Plus Thomas probably competes at OF.

-Pitching: Rosario looked like an ACC starter as a frosh. Throws up to 98 and gets a lot of weak contact. Mederos didn't have a great Fall, but his velo is there and it's a matter of being more consisent. They want Federman to start, noted the coaches saying he's better as a starter than reliever. Smith seems like a lock to start. Palmquist was the best pitcher during the Fall, but no discussion of how either him or Gates will be used. Not much other than brief mentions on McFarlane, Garland, and Gates. USC transfer Wanger is who they're planning on using as a closer

inconsistencies aside, last year's team was objectively a good one.

that pretty much half of the jobs are nevertheless open and competitive, and those guys from last year are not guaranteed starting positions, is a VERY good sign. We haven't had that kind of deep quality in a long time. Kudos to Gino for at least assembling a roster capable of being a contender.

now they just have to execute.

Advertisement
D1 Baseball wrote up Miami's Fall practice this week. Some notes:

-Catcher is stacked: Del, Thomas, and Perez, who is being compared to Grandal as a frosh.

-Infield: Likely starters are Toral, Vilar, Morales, and Gil, but there's a lot of competition. Pitelli has looked outstanding and could start at either 2B or SS. Transfer Adam Frank is one of the best hitters on the team and could start almost anywhere. Gil missed Fall with a broken tibia so Frank might beat him out at 3B. Kayfus looks like the heir apparent at 1B, and probably replaces Toral defensively late in games this year.

-Outfield: Lala, Jenkins, and Rivera all return, but no guarantees they start. Chad Born was the team MVP of the Fall and likely starts in the Spring. Jacoby Long was a big surprise. He has elite speed and hit better than expected. Plus Thomas probably competes at OF.

-Pitching: Rosario looked like an ACC starter as a frosh. Throws up to 98 and gets a lot of weak contact. Mederos didn't have a great Fall, but his velo is there and it's a matter of being more consisent. They want Federman to start, noted the coaches saying he's better as a starter than reliever. Smith seems like a lock to start. Palmquist was the best pitcher during the Fall, but no discussion of how either him or Gates will be used. Not much other than brief mentions on McFarlane, Garland, and Gates. USC transfer Wanger is who they're planning on using as a closer

If Perez is the real deal, he needs to catch. I would let Del DH. We need him fresh and ready for the dog days when we make a tournament run. He’s the one guy we can’t afford to lose. He’s quiet so it goes unnoticed but he is a legit superstar. I was listening to the MLB Pipeline podcast today and they think he goes top 5 and is the best offensive player in the entire draft.

If Perez is the real deal, he needs to catch. I would let Del DH. We need him fresh and ready for the dog days when we make a tournament run. He’s the one guy we can’t afford to lose. He’s quiet so it goes unnoticed but he is a legit superstar. I was listening to the MLB Pipeline podcast today and they think he goes top 5 and is the best offensive player in the entire draft.
Del wouldn’t be okay with it for exactly that reason. DH all year would likely hurt his draft stock.

I would argue that he’s not a big league catcher. He’s good enough to be a corner outfielder though.
For pre-draft purposes he’d probably like the chance to argue to scouts that he is though. Catcher that can hit is much more valuable than a maybe corner OF who can hit.

Advertisement
For pre-draft purposes he’d probably like the chance to argue to scouts that he is though. Catcher that can hit is much more valuable than a maybe corner OF who can hit.

Agreed on the catcher being more valuable, but unless the guy is a plus catcher the wear and tear of catching hampers offensive numbers and career length. When taking someone top 5 you take best available and put him somewhere to maximize production. Posey, Rutschman and Bart were guys who were as good of catchers as they were hitters. So leaving them there made sense. That’s not Del. You’re drafting him bc he’s an elite hitter with every trait you could want at the plate.

Thomas going to hit enough to play right?

Talk about our current roster with local writer Walter Villa at around the 6:00 mark. Discussion of moving Morales to 3B because of how good Pitelli has been is interesting.

Advertisement
I am very excited about this team after reading those articles. It seems like the pitching rotation may be fluid, may the best man win but we do have a lot of bodies there. Our offense should be absolutely legit this season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nothing earth shattering but does have some quotes from Gino

Advertisement
Back